Anime and manga seminar in London during May

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
In London on Friday 16th May (from 1pm till 6pm), King's College London (Room K2.31, Strand Building, Strand Campus) <a href="http://66.102.9.104/u/KingsLondon?q=cache:zzym3lb7VIEJ:www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cci/asiancultind+anime&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&ie=UTF-8">will be hosting</a> a seminar on anime and manga; it's titled "Japan&rsquo;s Manga and Anime Industries: Creativity and the Global Marketplace".
"<em>This research seminar will investigate the Japanese comic book and animation industries, identifying and analysing the forces behind the increasing popularity of manga and anime in the English speaking world and beyond. Exploring specific texts and their broader cultural context, and examining both the audiences for and the business of manga and anime, the seminar will attempt to discover the complex cultural and commercial logic of these industries, at once manifestly country-specific and globally successful.</em>"
The afternoon will be made up of presentations for five seperate "papers", they are:
<ul>
<li>'Anime: The Anti-Cartoon?' by Andrew Osmond</li>
<li>'Advertising anime: Global-local advertising and the Tokyo International Anime Fair' by Dr Rayna Denison</li>
<li>'"Such stuff as dreams are made on": Dystopian vision of the future in Japanese manga and anime' by Yoko Ono</li>
<li>'Manga in the UK: Can manga reinvent Shakespeare?' by Emma Hayley</li>
<li>'Between fan culture and copyright infringement: Manga scalation' by Dr Hye-Kyung Lee</li>
</ul>
If you're interested in attending, more information can be found <a href="http://66.102.9.104/u/KingsLondon?q=cache:zzym3lb7VIEJ:www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cci/asiancultind+anime&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&ie=UTF-8">at the King's College London website</a>.

has anyone been there? wish I knew earlier... =( broadband was connected taht same friday, and I only caught up with the forums now.. :'(

Paul said:
<ul>

I have actually seen copies of Shakespeare set to a manga theme in Waterstones. you know the typical ones of Romeo & Juliet, Hamlet, Macbeth

Otaku-san said:
Paul said:
<ul>

I have actually seen copies of Shakespeare set to a manga theme in Waterstones. you know the typical ones of Romeo & Juliet, Hamlet, Macbeth

Same. They sell them at our school ;p.

Paul said:
I hope she brings up at some point that not being created in Japan this means that technically the Manga Shakespeare series is not even Manga. They were created by various people outside of Japan so calling it manga is incorrect as it's used to define comics that originated from Japan.

I'm not saying that not being Manga makes things bad just that it seems like a rather cheap marketing gimmick.

Sy said:
Paul said:
I hope she brings up at some point that not being created in Japan this means that technically the Manga Shakespeare series is not even Manga. They were created by various people outside of Japan so calling it manga is incorrect as it's used to define comics that originated from Japan.

I'm not saying that not being Manga makes things bad just that it seems like a rather cheap marketing gimmick.
I think she's from the company that published the books so she'd be well aware of where they came from. :wink:

Kind of cool that they've since been translated and released in Japan, so I guess the Japanese will call it manga if not us lot... [/splitting hairs]

Of course the Japanese are going to call it Manga because Manga is their word for comics. Outside of Japan it refers specifically to comics originally published in Japan. Manga influenced fine but calling these titles Manga when they weren't original from Japan almost relegates Manga to a style.

Sy said:
Of course the Japanese are going to call it Manga because Manga is their word for comics.

so then, what would they call comics like the Beano and Dandy then?

and not forgetting the works of DC or Marvel

Manga most likely. They might call foreign comics by a different name but then again I don't speak Japanese so I couldn't tell you.

What exactly makes them Manga? Manga shouldn't have a particular style so the look doesnt have much to do with it. Was it originally published in Japan? No it wasn't so that's out. Was it influenced by Japanese comics? Yes, that's obvious but then again Frank Miller was heavily influenced by Manga too and that doesn't make his work Manga.

I think thats the same with the artist from Gorillaz

infulance by manga/anime, but doesn't neccessarly have that style.

I think that Manga is our term to differentiate their style and content, to that of westernized produce which we clam as comics.

But when you have Ninja high school, that is a 48 pg comic, set with a manga style that Ben Dun has created. you kinda get lost in whats the difference

Otaku-san said:
Sy said:
Of course the Japanese are going to call it Manga because Manga is their word for comics.

so then, what would they call comics like the Beano and Dandy then?

and not forgetting the works of DC or Marvel
Yes they would call them manga. Japanese also use the term, "comikkusu", to refer to manga. The terms mean exactly the same thing in Japan.
Otaku-san said:
I think thats the same with the artist from Gorillaz

infulance by manga/anime, but doesn't neccessarly have that style.

I think that Manga is our term to differentiate their style and content, to that of westernized produce which we clam as comics.

But when you have Ninja high school, that is a 48 pg comic, set with a manga style that Ben Dun has created. you kinda get lost in whats the difference
I disagree on the style and content thing. For me manga refers to a comic that was specifically published in Japan for a Japanese market. Manga does not have a style since there are so many different types of artwork and plot-themes to properly bracket it off from western comics.

<rant>
My main problem with western companies trying to brand products as manga is a marketing one. They are attempting to jump on a bandwagon, and capture an audience with what I consider false marketing. This falsely implies some sense of quality or richness in one type of product (manga) at the expense of another ([western] comics). I personally enjoy comics, western, Japanese or otherwise and would prefer both to be treated with the same level of respect rather than the bandwagoning that goes on.
</rant>

Gawyn said:
I personally enjoy comics, western, Japanese or otherwise and would prefer both to be treated with the same level of respect rather than the bandwagoning that goes on.
Agreed. Comics are still comics at the end of the day imo. I could care less for the terminology so long as it's good. (though I'll admit a bias toward the stuff made in Japan :p)

Gawyn said:
I disagree on the style and content thing. For me manga refers to a comic that was specifically published in Japan for a Japanese market. Manga does not have a style since there are so many different types of artwork and plot-themes to properly bracket it off from western comics.

Thats true, but I ment my thought as WE as a nation how we see things that are eastern

Back