Angel's egg, Summers Wars and Ponyo at Leeds Film Festival

chaos

The Boss
The Leeds International Film Festival will show some fantastic anime films, including the extremely rare Angel's Egg, Summer Wars and Ponyo.

<a href="http://fanomenonleeds.com/film/angels-egg"><b>Angel's Egg </b>
19th | 6:00pm
20th | 2:00pm</a>
<a href="http://fanomenonleeds.com/film/ponyo"><b>Ponyo</b>
22nd | 11:00am
22nd | 4:00pm</a>
<b><A href="http://fanomenonleeds.com/film/summer-wars">Summer Wars</b>
18th | 8:30pm
20th | 4:00pm
22nd | 1:30pm
</a>
Tickets are: Adult: &pound;6.00 Concessions: &pound;4.50

Angel's Egg? I would never expect that to be screened in such a location.

Best of luck to you, chaos. If you need any help getting around, I can give you the occasional tidbit of advice.

I have a love/hate relationship with Leeds. On the one hand, it sometimes seems to be a decent city at street level, and it's close to home. On the other, the ambience of the main retail area simply doesn't live up to what there is to see in the capital.

I would like to see Angel's Egg properly as up to now I have only seen it cut up as part of the cult Australian live action film In The Aftermath (which I have on VHS).

Hmm. Going to check my diary (and possibly re-organise anything which might be in there) when I'm more awake. The 20th does sound good...

I like Leeds, it's a city which is going up in both the figurative and literal sense of the word.

Zin5ki said:
Best of luck to you, chaos. If you need any help getting around, I can give you the occasional tidbit of advice.

I have a love/hate relationship with Leeds. On the one hand, it sometimes seems to be a decent city at street level, and it's close to home. On the other, the ambience of the main retail area simply doesn't live up to what there is to see in the capital.
Hey, I'd love to get some recommendations. Places to east and see mainly.
My plan is to travel on the 20th to Leeds, spend the night, then go to Glasgow on the 21st say hi to our scotts friends, spend the night there and head to Edinburgh on the 22nd. Anyone on my way who wants to meet will be rewarded with my company and a coffee or a pint (the old trick of buying friends out) =)

ilmaestro said:
Goddam, if I'm somehow off work on the 20th (unlikely), I would totally join you chaos.
Join me! =D

Rui said:
It would be fun to see Summer Wars. I'm booked up unfortunately so hope chaos' roadtrip is fun :D
Thanks, hopefully the weather won't be too bad.

ayase said:
Hmm. Going to check my diary (and possibly re-organise anything which might be in there) when I'm more awake. The 20th does sound good...

I like Leeds, it's a city which is going up in both the figurative and literal sense of the word.
See you there?

I have a ticket for Tenshi no Tamago on the 20th, in the hope that I'd be more likely to see it with someone I knew on that day, but I'd really to change it for one on the Thursday if I still can as it would be so much convenient to be watching it when it's already dark and I'm unlikely to be doing any work anyway. But I'm not sure whether I can this year, so I could still end up being there with you on the Friday.

One could also have done to mention that a live-action film based on the comic Kyûketsu Shôjo tai Shôjo Franken (Vampire Girl vs Frankenstein Girl) has one more screening, on Sunday, 15 November. 'Tis only from DigiBeta according to the brochure, though.

chaos said:
Hey, I'd love to get some recommendations. Places to east and see mainly.
There's a decent Chinese buffet somewhere, but generally the food options consist of standard high-street fare. Some interesting shops can be found around the former Corn Exchange, and there is an upmarket arcade to have a look at. Overall it is nothing special though. My family uses the city to shop for clothes, the appeal of which I often fail to see.

Chrono Mizaki said:
Oh Summer Wars? I'm definitely going then. I loved TGWLTT and since Leeds is a bus away from Bradford, then it's worth it for me.
A train from Forster Square would be far quicker and cheaper, I should think.

chaos said:
ayase said:

See you there?
You definitely will now, yes. Just bought my tickets for Angel's Egg and Summer Wars on the 20th. That Hyde Park Cinema is a bit out in the sticks in Headingly though - you take the number 56 bus from the centre, apparently... I'm not familiar with the bus routes in Leeds, I'm a by train and on foot traveller myself. How / when / where is everyone else planning to turn up?

Some interesting shops can be found around the former Corn Exchange...
But sadly no longer in the Corn Exchange itself. The idea to turn it into an upmarket yuppie haven seemed to backfire enormously. Things might be different by now I suppose, but I was horrified enough at what had become of the Corn Exchange last time I went there to never go back. Similar to what happened to Granary Wharf, really. I'm an advocate of urban regeneration, but not when it turns places into sterile, soulless monoculture like that...

/off topic

Oh wow, I am actually off work on the 20th.

I'll almost certainly be driving up to Leeds, so if people (to a maximum of 3) want to meet up more central and get a lift to the venue that's cool.

Hmm I could have sworn I just posted this, but anyway...

OK, so I have actually booked my tickets now for Angel's Egg and Summer Wars. What time are people getting where?

Anything directed by Oshii is boring, sleep inducing ****. That said, Angel's Egg can suck my pussy.

I'm leaving Sky Crawlers and AE until I have nothing else to watch. They can wait together with MoO and Someday's Dreamers.

ilmaestro said:
Hmm I could have sworn I just posted this, but anyway...

OK, so I have actually booked my tickets now for Angel's Egg and Summer Wars. What time are people getting where?
Maybe you were confusing you with me:

ayase said:
Just bought my tickets for Angel's Egg and Summer Wars on the 20th... How / when / where is everyone else planning to turn up?
:p

I'll get one of two trains which arrive in Leeds Station for 09:04 and 10:04 respectively. If other people are getting there earlier I'll make an effort to do so as well. If not, I'll have an extra hour in bed.

lol, maybe. :D

It's gonna take me the best part of two hours to drive up, so I was probably looking on arriving about 11-12, getting some lunch and then going to see the movies.

Back