Angel's egg, Summers Wars and Ponyo at Leeds Film Festival

I'll probably go on the 20th since it's a free day for me. As of now, I have no interest in Ponyo.

I'll be quite shy, so you lot will hardly see me unless otherwise ;D

Turtlehead, if you go on the 20th, say hi to us. Looks like we will have a group of AUKN'ers there.

ilmaestro said:
I'll almost certainly be driving up to Leeds, so if people (to a maximum of 3) want to meet up more central and get a lift to the venue that's cool.
I'd like to take up on your offer, as the only thing I know about Leeds is it's name and that it has a uni.

ilmaestro said:
It's gonna take me the best part of two hours to drive up, so I was probably looking on arriving about 11-12, getting some lunch and then going to see the movies.
Hey, this sounds like a solid plan :)

My train arrives in Leeds by 11:18. I'll send you an email, so we can arrange this better.

Chrono Mizaki said:
I'll be quite shy, so you lot will hardly see me unless otherwise ;D
Hey man, I'd love to put a face to the name. As for being shy, don't worry, buy me a beer and I do the talking for you ;)

Aion said:
That said, Angel's Egg can suck my pussy.
(o_O) Did you had a sex-change op?

OK guys, I should be leaving at about 9am, so I should arrive in Leeds in time to meet at the train station about when chaos' train arrives.

I'll be wearing a One Piece T-Shirt for easy indentification, but if I have a jumper over the top of it I'll be wearing a Yomiuri Giants cap anyway. ^^;

According to Chrono in the chat the other day, he is arriving at the train station at the same time-ish, so I don't know if he's actually up for meeting or whatnot, but it could happen.

Anywho, as I said before, I'll text the two of you (chaos and ayase) when I hit Leeds, or if I'm going to be substantially later than I expect.

ilmaestro said:
I'll be wearing a One Piece T-Shirt for easy indentification, but if I have a jumper over the top of it I'll be wearing a Yomiuri Giants cap anyway. ^^;

You do know they're all going to avoid you now, right? Even anime fans have limits, and One Piece shirts/Naruto headbands go beyond the limits of most.

Will Tonyo/Ayase be bringing his Naruto box set so you can ID him?

ilmaestro said:
According to Chrono in the chat the other day, he is arriving at the train station at the same time-ish, so I don't know if he's actually up for meeting or whatnot, but it could happen.

If I'm not there, alternatively, I'll be at the Cinema itself since I know which Bus to catch. Even though it's a vague discription, but I'll definitely be wearing a long-coat winter jacket with either a brown or stripy-blue scarf. I'll probably be carrying my Playstation Bag as well [a black bag with playstation symbols on it]. And I have long, scruffy hair =P

Could make it easy by showing a picture, but it'll be a riddle for you lot. First one to solve it has a beer on me.

Aion said:
Anything directed by Oshii is boring, sleep inducing ****.
While I don't agree that anything Oshii is boring and sleep inducing, I have to give in as Angel's Egg is boring and sleep inducing. It's beautiful though. But I took a 10 minutes nap and I believe my snoring was more entertaining than the movie itself for some.

Chrono Mizaki said:
If I'm not there, alternatively, I'll be at the Cinema itself since I know which Bus to catch. Even though it's a vague discription, but I'll definitely be wearing a long-coat winter jacket with either a brown or stripy-blue scarf. I'll probably be carrying my Playstation Bag as well [a black bag with playstation symbols on it]. And I have long, scruffy hair =P

Could make it easy by showing a picture, but it'll be a riddle for you lot. First one to solve it has a beer on me.
I didn't see earlier, it could have saved me from the embarrassment of asking random people in the cinema if they were you.

My impressions
Angel's Egg 2/10 - I never though I'd rate anything this low, as I usually try to find positive things about anything I see. But in this case, except saying it looks pretty, there is nothing else to it. After leaving the cinema and listening to other random people talking about it, I wasn't the only one who thought that.

Summer's Wars 10/10 - either because I was so unimpresed with Angel's eggs or because I was really infatuated with TGWLTT, I rated this one high. As a matter of fact, this movie topped the girl for me.
As currently many series are disappointing, it seems that anime feature films are growing in the right direction.
The character development for the Grandma and Wabisuke is the highlight of the film. The main characters are likeable enough and as Maestro pointed, it was interesting to notice how non-regular anime fans reacts to aniem cliches. While we had a smile on our faces, some people actualy laughed out loud of certain very cliche stuff. OTT award goes to the ship on a pound and how you can kill a super bad-ass AI/virus program with a Genki dama and a punch to the nose.
At a certain point in this movie, I actually wanted to raise my hands to the air.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aion said:
ilmaestro said:

You do know they're all going to avoid you now, right? Even anime fans have limits, and One Piece shirts/Naruto headbands go beyond the limits of most.
Ah, but mine is classy - it was bought from the Jump Store in Suidobashi, and looks ace.

Chrono Mizaki said:
ilmaestro said:

Did you end up going? I don't remember seeing anyone fitting your description. :-/

--

I wouldn't rate Angel's Egg as lowly as chaos does, to be fair. In fact, I probably wouldn't give it a rating at all. It had a great atmosphere, and there were certainly some interesting moments in it the girl falling to her death was pretty surprising, I thought, but it was ultimately a little heavy and relatively impenetrable.

Summer Wars, as I think I've said before, I love, except for some aspects of how the virtual world was handled. Certainly I found the bits with King Kazuma fighting to be the least entertaining parts of the movie. It remains amusing, emotional and thoroughly entertaining, overall.

--

Thank you ayase and chaos, had great fun meeting you guys, and ayase's local knowledge was a big help. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
A good time was had by all, especially the circular walks. The only thing I have to add on top of chaos & ilmaestro's views (which we discussed and conspired to more or less agree on) is my Rating for Angel's Egg: LOL WTF/10

Aion said:
ilmaestro said:

Will Tonyo/Ayase be bringing his Naruto box set so you can ID him?

While I can see the Naruto headband arguemen since they really do stand out, considering most of t-shirts you can buy of One Piece (made in France or Japan, imported here) actually look pretty good, I don't see how a shirt would make people avoid you :?

GreatPirateKing, meet Aion. When he says anything which could be construed as mildly abusive, treat him like the drunk in the corner of your local pub and just nod and smile politely. That's just his way.

For example: I'm not even this guy called Tonyo, he just likes to pretend I am. Who am I to shatter his illusion?

ayase said:
A good time was had by all, especially the circular walks.
The walks were great fun!
After that I had a feeling I knew Leeds a little bit. I now know where Nando's, MacD, Wagamama, Slug and Lettuce and a few more eateries are...

I regret not having taken a pic of the cinema and one of us at the pub though.

ayase said:
GreatPirateKing, meet Aion. When he says anything which could be construed as mildly abusive, treat him like the drunk in the corner of your local pub and just nod and smile politely. That's just his way. [/size]

Oddly enough, someone else has a strikingly similar 'Aion coping strategy'...

"It took me a while to not get offended every time you make a barbed comment. Now I just count to three, punch the nearest wall, bandage my hand, and rather than go on a post delete spree, reply in a calm, collected manner :D"

Back