Angel Beats! opinions?

hazzwright

Completely Average High School Student
Is it just me or was Angel Beats! really good but it felt like it was rushed. Its as if they got to episode 12 and just thought 'ok I'm bored lets just say all the supporting characters went to the afterlife and lived happily ever after!' Like I said, GREAT just felt rushed.

It's a good show, although not as good as Jun Maeda's other works such as Clannad and Kanon.

Angel Beats was also originally meant to be a 2 cour show, which is probably why it feels a bit cramped, as I'd imagine they had to cut quite a lot of planned material to fit in the core story.

I'd imagine we'd have got a lot more background and involvement from the wider supporting cast if it'd retained its 24-26 episode length, and it'd have probably been paced different in terms of some of the more tragic elements, and the humour.

Still a fun show though, even if it isn't the next Kanon/Clannad etc. :)

I keep on feeling that it should be a Visual Novel so it can elaborate on those ideas. I kinda feel that since I've watched it I've seen more negative reactions from it. Though there was a funny comparison between this show and K-On!

It's a fun show until half way through when it tries to emotional and DEEP.

I had a twin brother... and he DIED, so I become his successor, but I will always be the inferior to my brother.

Last edited by a moderator:
T'was pretty good, but I see where you were comming from with the rushed business. Also, it did contain one of my new top 5 funniest scenes (or in this case groups of scenes) in anime. Three words: Slow-mo Rocket Chairs.

I thought it was a great show, the amount of enjoyment you will get out of the emotional episodes will depend a lot on your level of cynicism/tolerance for melodrama, though.

The set pieces were all fantastic; concerts, comedy, most of the fights. Characters were hit and miss and there's melodrama (it is Maeda Jun after all)

Its as if they got to episode 12 and just thought 'ok I'm bored lets just say all the supporting characters went to the afterlife and lived happily ever after!'
That's resolved by the alt ending (didn't the English release omit that)

Back