An interesting thing happened today...

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
On my way back from work on the bus, this woman in front of me pulled out her laptop and started playing a video. Japanese kanji symbols popped up on the screen, but since I was right behind her, I couldn't make out what she was watching until I got up to get off the bus - she was indulging in none other than the first [fansubbed] episode of Naruto Shippuuden!

This is the first time I've ever seen someone watching anime or reading manga in such a public place. I just found it interesting - especially since it was a fan-sub. Anime getting mainstream, eh? :)

You're in there Paul. ;)

I've seen somebody reading Monster on the train to Sheffield before. Not a teenager or college student either. Looked like he was going to the office, about in his thirties. I thought, 'neat' but didn't make a big deal about it because that might stop people doing that so openly. :p

I only knew one person who would read manga in public, and that was a while ago. She was really weird, and read yaoi and shonen-ai about school, giving manga a very bad stereotype around the school.

I'll be honest, even I don't go around reading manga openly in public. I mean some people even think it's weird to sit around reading a book on a bus or train so manga hasn't got a hope in hell.

I almost always read manga when I am travelling on the train or waiting for one. I have seen a fair few people reading manga, as well. I've never watched anime on a train before but that is mostly because it is a nuisance to pull out and set up my laptop and pack it away than anything else. I have considered ripping a few episodes onto my PSP before now and have done partial rips to show friends some stuff before but the screen-size is too small for subtitles, which makes it not so worthwhile.

Only time I read or watch in public is when I'm return home after buying it in the shop.

All the rest is done in-house. ^^

I'm considering buying a video mp3 player to play some episodes between class but i dont know if it supports certain formats.

lmc87 said:
I'm considering buying a video mp3 player to play some episodes between class but i dont know if it supports certain formats.

Your best bet for formats at the moment is the Creative Vision M, or some random Korean myriad of technology.

It's difficult, though.

I'm starting to take manga to University with me whilst I wait around for trains and then travel for around half an hour there and back. I'm usually waiting around for 80-90 minutes a day, so reading manga helps pass the time. :D

Very cool dude, I have seen people reading XXXholic and Tsubasa Chronicals on the bus last week as I went into town. It just goes to show that the anime/manga culture is growing and becoming more mainstream

lmc87 said:

I use my PSP to watch anime when I am visiting my inlaws. Especially since they go to bed rediculously early so I sit up watching my fave eps that I keep on the memory card

I always read manga while on the bus or in college its not like Im doing anything wrong and if people think its wierd let them. Ive never seen anyone reading manga on the bus or in my college just means Im more open about the things I like :D

pomtry said:
I always read manga while on the bus or in college its not like Im doing anything wrong and if people think its wierd let them. Ive never seen anyone reading manga on the bus or in my college just means Im more open about the things I like :D

Either that or there all addicts too and don't want you to know.... itsa conspiracy I tell you lol

McIcy said:
pomtry said:

Either that or there all addicts too and don't want you to know.... itsa conspiracy I tell you lol

Im scared they must be stopped :shock:

Well I read Manga on the bus home every day and don’t really give to craps what other people think. Just a couple of days ago though there were a few girls opposite me and one whispered to her friend 'Isn't that that Manga thing you like?'. Her friend nodded.

That was funny :D

butch-cassidy said:
Well I read Manga on the bus home every day and don’t really give to craps what other people think. Just a couple of days ago though there were a few girls opposite me and one whispered to her friend 'Isn't that that Manga thing you like?'. Her friend nodded.

That was funny :D

Manga and Anime are starting to spread round the Uk faster now more than ever

I would definitely read manga openly in public if i found an occation for it, as it is not many such occasions crop up, and i'm rather a neat freak about my stuff, i couldn't imagine shoving a book or a volume of manga in a bag

i always read manga on the college hallway waiting for tutors who's always late....

my friend borrows my mangas and read it in her break at northern rock and one of her workmate told her 'you're reading it the wrong way stupid' and she replied 'it is a japanese comics called manga and it's supposed to be read this way, stupid' -- it was funny and she even laugh by herself when we are going to her place...

i should stop her borrowing it....

That's classic Naya_lulu! XD Don't stop her!
I'm open with my fandom, so sitting in public reading manga isn't a problem. It's just I usually can't find the right time to do so unless it's at home on my comfy bed.

I read manga on the bus to Ealing.

And always on the tube too! The journey would be very boring otherwise. I've had lots of commuters peek at what I'm reading, usually as most of my manga has vibrant colours.

Strangely, I've never actually seen anyone else reading manga in public.

I'm one of those people that other people see.

Makes me wonder... perhaps there's a secret society rule that manga fans can only be closet fans that i don't know about.

M.G xx

Back