Aim for the Simulwatch! It's Gunbuster

Neil.T

Guild Member
Also does that mean the film changes partway through from colour to black and white?
I'm guessing it does. Actually, come to think of it, what about aspect ratio? I wonder if the film is widescreen the whole way through, rather than just the episode 6 content.

@NoSurprises, do you know? 😉

Professor Irony

Cursed Image
Yeah, it turns out that only episode 2 was cut for Kiseki's release
I was still curious about why they would feel the need to do this, so I pulled up the BBFC ratings database, but it's not greatly insightful on the matter, only listing 'some versions cut' in regards to that second episode. Interestingly, according to the BBFC data, it was also the first episode to be rated.

It's a strange situation, as there's more than enough nudity remaining in the show that I'm surprised it got passed as a PG, although admittedly, I can't think of another title that would have come out around then that you could make a direct comparison with (most other titles would have shown nudity in a more overtly sexual context). The 12 certificate either wouldn't have been a thing at this point or was only just being introduced, so I can see it might complicate matters on whether it really needs to be a 15 (episode 1 was apparently passed as U), but I can't follow why Kiseki would really be so bothered by this as to go to the trouble of cutting something.

NoSurprises

Straw Hat Pirate
It sounds like it has all the usual problems of a compilation film. I once read that the way the highlights of the first five episodes are cut together makes it look like Noriko cries at the drop of a hat. Is that true, @NoSurprises? 😅

Also, is there new animation used to stitch the scenes together? And is episode 6 included in its entirety?
No new scenes as I recall, just jumping from one episode to another. It's not quite as jarring as it sounds, but a lot of scenes lose their impact. Like you read, it does make Noriko seem a little more unstable as a character, as we've not seen half the scenes that got her to where she is. It kinda works if you've seen the entire series already and just want to watch the highlights or something.
Also does that mean the film changes partway through from colour to black and white?
Yup, both the colour and aspect ratio change when the episode 6 effectively starts. Which is shown in its entirety I think.

The compilation of Diebuster works better I feel, as it cuts a lot of the cast who I found to be generally unlikable anyway, and focuses more on the main duo. Think the Diebuster movie did get some new scenes to stitch it together too, I could be wrong though!

Neil.T

Guild Member
So here's a picture of a future space dolphin instead
The unexplained space dolphin was excellent.
I finally got around to watching the two extra Gunbuster "science lessons" that were made some six years after the others, and good god: they are explained! 😯

Quote from the subtitles:
"In order to compensate for the weakened causation around the ship [while it's using its 'algorithmic image propulsion' to travel at light speed], they use ESPers and dolphins with electronic brains as navigators."

An explanation several years after the fact!

Reactions: WMD

WMD

Hunter
I finally got around to watching the two extra Gunbuster "science lessons" that were made some six years after the others, and good god: they are explained! 😯

Quote from the subtitles:
"In order to compensate for the weakened causation around the ship [while it's using its 'algorithmic image propulsion' to travel at light speed], they use ESPers and dolphins with electronic brains as navigators."

An explanation several years after the fact!
Amazing.