Afro Samurai RESURRECTION (sequal announced)

Ninja Boy!

Thousand Master
good news for fans of the orginal Afro Samurai....well basically a sequel is in the works, and has been announced at the Comicon event.

check out Animenewsnetworks article on the panel:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convent ... surrection

also here is what seems to be the press release from Funimation announcing the ditribution of the product.

FLOWER MOUND, TX, July 24, 2008 – FUNimation® Entertainment has acquired the home video, master toy and merchandising rights to AFRO SAMURAI: RESURRECTION from GDH K.K., the second installment to the animated series Afro Samurai which aired on Spike TV in 2006 and was the best-selling anime DVD release of 2007.

Academy Award® -nominated actor Samuel L. Jackson returns as the voice of Afro and his sidekick Ninja Ninja as well as executive-producer of this stylish series.

Based on the graphic novel by Takashi Okazaki and set in a unique world that is part ancient Japan and part futuristic fantasy, the five-episode first season of AFRO SAMURAI followed the solitary samurai's journey to avenge the murder of his father. In this second season, Afro Samurai picks up his sword once again to wreak bloody vengeance against an army of deadly foes.

Joining the cast is Lucy Liu (Dirty Sexy Money, Charlie's Angels, Kill Bill) as Sio, a seductive and sadistic mastermind plotting to destroy Afro. Also newly cast is Mark Hamill (Star Wars) as Bin, Sio's servant and protector.

Returning to the cast is Yuri Lowenthal (Naruto) as Kuma, the teddy-bear headed warrior and once childhood friend of Afro.

Renowned rap artist RZA again provides a funktastic score, fueling the show's intense drama and fusing American hip-hop culture with the world of the classical samurai.

FUNimation Entertainment will bring AFRO SAMURAI: RESURRECTION to DVD in February 2009. The first season will be available on Blu-Ray disk August 26.

and most importantly....here is the trailer. [edit - i changed the embeded video from youtube to dailymotion because, youtube version was loading really slowly.)

<div><object width="420" height="255"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x690qx&related=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x690qx&related=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="255" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object><br><b>

Ah good, another reason for Samuel L Jacksons acting career to go down the toilet

It was looking so good up till Snakes on a Plane too :(

i personally enjoyed Afro Samurai alot...i loved the slick animation, awsome fight scenes and good soundtrack. sure the story was beyond simple...but i really liked it...and i hope this sequal delivers.

Ninja Boy! said:
i personally enjoyed Afro Samurai alot...i loved the slick animation, awsome fight scenes and good soundtrack. sure the story was beyond simple...but i really liked it...and i hope this sequal delivers.

Pretty much the same thoughts here. Afro Samurai was basic, but as a simple actioner it all worked nicely, it was short so it didn't become boring and the fights were well animated. It was hardly an ambitious work of story telling though it didn't really need to be. It's good in a Ninja Scroll kind of way. :roll:

However, I fear a sequel might tip the delicate balance the original maintained between undemanding action show to outright trash. I would like to see a more considerate storyline, but not if it results in a pretentious mess. I'm cautiously looking forward to it, but I'm already braced for disappointment.

It would be better if it was done as a movie, and released in theatres. I didn't like 'Fro Sam'rai, But, I'd probably see it if it was.

Wildcard said:
It's good in a Ninja Scroll kind of way. :roll:

was that an insult to afro samurai?, sure i am pre-pared to face the amount of fanboy/girls who consider Ninja Scroll to be good or even a classic....
Ninja scroll was..lame...end of.

anywho back on subject, i wonder how Afro Samurai on blu-ray will look...considering how the DVD transfer was really well done.

Gacha said:
Why?, from what little story the last one had it ended it well.
Hell no it didn't. That was the most cliched foreshadowing ever.
Ninja Boy! said:
Wildcard said:

was that an insult to afro samurai?, sure i am pre-pared to face the amount of fanboy/girls who consider Ninja Scroll to be good or even a classic....
Liar. It was never lame. Ninja Scroll was everything a ninja/samurai movie should be.

I could sum up Afro Samurai in two words: Forced Coolness.

Ninja Boy! said:
Wildcard said:

Each to their own, they're both mindless entertainment with heavy doses of violence and sex - I think it's a fair comparison and I like them both... end of :p

Wildcard said:
Each to their own, they're both mindless entertainment with heavy doses of violence and sex - I think it's a fair comparison and I like them both... end of :p

i know what you mean.. :) but i just had to let my negative opinion on ninja scroll let out lol....

Ninja Boy! said:
Wildcard said:

i know what you mean.. :) but i just had to let my negative opinion on ninja scroll let out lol....

No worries, all my friends hate it too so I'm used to hearing it. :lol:

Heh, I'd probably give it a watch. The first one was funny seeing as you could tell the creators tried far too hard. But it should be fun ^^.

Oh, IMO, Ninja Scroll >>>> Afro Samurai ^^.

Ninja Scroll was awesome. Thanks for reminding me to watch it again.

I enjoyed Afro Samurai. Not sure if I enjoyed it enough to invest in this sequel, but I'll keep an eye on it nonetheless.

I enjoyed the first season in a simple sort of way but am I the only one surprised to see ninja back? I thought that afro had cast his imaginary friend off in the battle with Kuma?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bah, afro samurai was nothing special. I thought the animation and fight scenes were cool, but the storyline was too plain and boring.

Maybe I'll watch the next series and hopefully it will be better >_<.

YAY ANOTHER AFRO SAMURAI SEASON
Its good to see Gangsta theme anime. Unlike Gothic style anime that are near enough all the same.
No offence.

Back