ADV UK September DVD releases

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
ADV UK have sent out their September press release, confirming amonst others the 19th September release of the Spriggan Special Edition (with Soundtrack) and the UK debut of the GONZO samurai series Peacemaker. All of ADV UK's September releases are listed below.<ul><b>19th September ADV UK releases</b><span class="menu"><li>Aquarian Age #2</li><li>Chrono Crusade #4</li><li>Gad Guard #5</li><li>Get Backers #5</li><li>Mezzo DSA #2</li><li>Peacemaker #1</li><li>Spriggan Special Edition (with Soundtrack)</li></span></ul>All of these release dates have been entered into our <a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/schedule.php">UK anime release schedule</a>.

I definently want the Spriggan Special Edition (with Soundtrack). I know it gets a lot of stick, but I really enjoyed Spriggan when it was shown on the Sci-Fi channel a few years ago. The animation is great (you can see Otomo's involvement reflected in the epic scope of the story) and the action is quite outstanding. It's a very good looking popcorn action film.

Chrono Crusade is the only one on the list I'll definitely be picking up, some of the others might make it onto the rental list eventually.

I saw Spriggan a few years back on Sci-Fi channel, and while I didn't think it was a 'classic';it was very good even so! I can't resist a freebie Soundtrack CD! :p

Nothing else really interests me - but I might buy Chrono Crusade once it goes on the cheap.
________
FEMALE ADVICE FORUM

Aquarian Age #2
Chrono Crusade #4
Gad Guard #5
Get Backers #5
Mezzo DSA #2
Peacemaker #1

Im just glad i already got Spriggan on dvd.

Chrono Crusade is the only one I shall be certainly purchasing. Aquarian Age and Peacemaker both interest me, and if I'm in need of another series I'll be sure to invest in one of them.

I agree with Mangaminx that the attraction of ADV's releases is diminishing. It seems ADV, after the end of Last Exile, won't have many "A-List" releases such as Gundam Seed or Samurai Champloo. I must admit I wonder about ADV's future as perhaps the UK's most popular anime company, or at least the one I most often see in shops, when MVM and BEEZ have more attactive titles.

Chomolungma said:
Chrono Crusade is the only one I shall be certainly purchasing. Aquarian Age and Peacemaker both interest me, and if I'm in need of another series I'll be sure to invest in one of them.

I agree with Mangaminx that the attraction of ADV's releases is diminishing. It seems ADV, after the end of Last Exile, won't have many "A-List" releases such as Gundam Seed or Samurai Champloo. I must admit I wonder about ADV's future as perhaps the UK's most popular anime company, or at least the one I most often see in shops, when MVM and BEEZ have more attactive titles.
same here really. just lately ADV have been releasing rather 'shallow' action/adventure series and little else. don't get me wrong, CC is a really fun series and the same goes for the liks of Mezzo DSA and Aquarian Age, but the A-list titles that have more depth to them like GitS:SAC, Cowboy Bebop and Paranoia Agent are being picked up by other companies. it's something that's concerned me for some time now: ADV are in danger of resting on their laurels and being left in the dust.

ADV UK do seem to be falling behind, although they do still have Elfen Lied up their sleeve, however certainly the vast majority of their releases are 'rental only' for me without even the intention to buy when the titles end up in a play.com sale. Quite a change from last year, where ADV titles made up the bulk of my collection.

Red XIII said:
ADV UK do seem to be falling behind, although they do still have Elfen Lied up their sleeve, however certainly the vast majority of their releases are 'rental only' for me without even the intention to buy when the titles end up in a play.com sale. Quite a change from last year, where ADV titles made up the bulk of my collection.

Yes, Elfen Lied is the only ADV "a-list" title on the way. The company have got too careless, licensing shows with an ambivalent or in some cases dire critical reputation that will not sell in great amounts while both in the USA and over here other companies get there first. They could have done well with Gantz, but in the US they handled it terribly, while Elfen Lied has the possibility to sell well but also has an imbalanced critical reputation and is a short series. I'm concerned about how ADV are going to continue to sell well next year.

hmmm, Gantz sold well tho despite the "poor handling"

Personally, i consider Mezzo DSA and Aquarian Age to be A titles. But then again i hate all this stupid A-list B-list etc crap

IanC said:
Personally, i consider Mezzo DSA and Aquarian Age to be A titles. But then again i hate all this stupid A-list B-list etc crap

It's got nothing to do with quality, merely popularity. Monster, for example, is one of my favourite series at the moment, but I doubt it'll sell half so well as Naruto. The idea of "A-list etc" titles is do with how well the title will likely sell, not how good you believe it is.

Gantz is/was supposed to be the ace up ADV's sleeve in 2005 (I think it still is). If they do a sensible disc count release and market it well, surely it could sell well in the UK?

I reckon ADV should also go for the likes of Gankutsuou, MOnster or Eureka Seven, even Bleach if they can get their hands on it.

Animated FatCat said:
Gantz is/was supposed to be the ace up ADV's sleeve in 2005 (I think it still is). If they do a sensible disc count release and market it well, surely it could sell well in the UK?

The only catch is that MVM are releasing Gantz here rather than ADV UK- although the disc count will follow Madman's release and be a manageable 7 discs for all 26 episodes.

Back