ADV UK announce their big releases for 2007

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
In a news post on their official website, ADV UK have confirmed much of their DVD release plans for 2007 with the following list of new UK acquisitions and re-released collections.
  • New UK licenses set for 2007 DVD release:
  • Coyote Ragtime Show (April 2007)
  • Guyver: The Bioboosted Armour (Summer 2007)
  • Jinki: Extend (19 February 2007)
  • Le Chevalier D’Eon (Summer 2007)
  • Paniponi Dash (Summer 2007)
  • This Ugly Yet Beautiful World (aka Kono minikuku mo Utsukushii Sekai) (19 March 2007)
  • Sgt.Frog (aka Keroro Gunso)

ADV "Classics Collections" in 2007:
  • Cosplay Complex
  • Dai-Guard Complete Collection (15 January 2007)
  • Gad Guard Complete Collection (19 February 2007)
  • Hellsing Complete Collection
  • Ninja Resurrection (19 February 2007)
  • Shinkai Collection
  • Sorcerer Hunters OVA (15 January 2007)
Read ADV UK's official announcements over at their website.

UPDATE: Where possible, we have been able to provide release dates now too.

The geek in me is looking forward to finally seeing a full 20+ episodes of Guyver: The Bioboosted Armour, and both Le Chevalier D’Eon and Sgt.Frog look fairly unique. With that said, we'd be better off without Gainax's This Ugly Yet Beautiful World ;)

Also - there was already an LE collection box for Hellsing... I guess it will be mass produced this time.

Paul said:
With that said, we'd be better off without Gainax's This Ugly Yet Beautiful World ;)
Conversely, Hugh David was most enthused about this when asked at the London Expo...

I agree that Sgt Frog seems a little interesting. ADV US have already confirmed they have all of the current episodes with an option on any future episodes so that is a fair amount to release. It is also intersting how close to the US announcements that the UK licence has been confirmed, much like Le Chevalier D'Eon. It looks like ADV may be beginning to take the UK/European market a little more seriously.

Actually a very strong showing there for ADV.
Strong showing in the quality & crowdpleasing stakes with Chevalier, Coyote Ragtime and Guyver.

I wouldn't rule out Paniponi Dash or Sgt Frog either. PPD raised quite a few chuckles when it was out, and Sgt Frog is just a gigantic unknown. It could go anyway indeed. Massively popular in Japan, but until recently no fansubber wanted a piece of it, so it stayed fairly unknown over here.

Never watched Konomini, but the consensus is that it is inferior to Saikano, which is a show that it is going to be compared with a lot. Don't know about Jinki Extend. Schedule filler possibly.

butch-cassidy said:
Very nice... I wonder how much these 'classic collections' will cost. And it is nice to see Hellsing getting a new boxset. :D
Anime Online have ADV's catalogue available for pre-order up to March 2007 and some of these titles are showing there. The cheapest of the ADV Classic Collections series is Ninja Resurrection, released in February at £14.99 RRP (£11.24 pre-order price). The Gad Guard collection, also released in February is £59.99RRP; Dia Guard is slated for January priced at £59.99RRP and Sorceror Hunters will, shipping in March, is £19.99RRP.

Overall it's an impressive line-up especially by ADV's recent standards!. I was interested in Chevalier from the get-go so I'm certainly looking forward to seing it at last. Hellsing's been on my 'to buy' list for ages now so a box set is very tempting indeed.

Gainax on the other hand...this could be the first time I'll be properly disappointed with something they've done but I'm willing to give it a fair chance. From what 've heard so far hasn't allayed my fears though.

I will be looking forward to:
Coyote Ragtime,
This Ugly Yet Beautiful World,
and Hellsing Complete Collection.
I'm surprised that they are going to release Sgt. Frog so close to the American release, but it's a long series so they will have to release them soon so that they can release boxsets quicker :wink:

I'm looking forward to owning Chevalier, Guyver and Keroro Gunso (I don't like calling him Sgt Frog) on DVD, Keroro has been one of my faves for awhile now, everyone needs to see how cute Tamama is :D

Does this mean that ADV have taken on board some of the criticism of their releases and bucked their ideas up a bit?

Coyote Ragtime sounds like an entertaining show and Guyver is gonna be great (after the annoyingly short but classic OVA series) but most of all I’m excited about getting Dai Guard. I love what I’ve seen of that show and reckon it’s well underrated (As good as Nadesico?). Plus it’s got an awesome theme tune. Baa ba ba baa ba ba baa baa ba ba baa ba ba ba barara ra ra barara ra ra ra!

Boxed sets have recently become more viable in the UK. Retailers, until recently, were largely unwilling to stock them on their shelves for anime series but negotiations seem to have been successful and distributors are beginning to take advantage.

As regards the US/UK lead-time, ADV seem to be attempting to stem some of the import market by promising new titles quickly. This may tie in with ADV's recent trend of pitching their titles to both UK and Germany, making the market considerably larger for them.

harkins said:
Coyote Ragtime sounds like an entertaining show and Guyver is gonna be great (after the annoyingly short but classic OVA series) but most of all I’m excited about getting Dai Guard. I love what I’ve seen of that show and reckon it’s well underrated (As good as Nadesico?). Plus it’s got an awesome theme tune. Baa ba ba baa ba ba baa baa ba ba baa ba ba ba barara ra ra barara ra ra ra!
Yes! Go for Dai-Guard! It's one of my favourites. It's not as over the top as Nadesico as it's more reality based (meaning they have a tight budget and their robot keeps falling apart) It's a worthy feel-good anime with a touch of well-meaning cheese. I'm with you - The theme song is great! :D

(judging by your tastes and that you say you like Guyver, I can't hold myself back from recommending Generator Gawl. It's another favourite of mine which is also very underrated. It's got nice fights and has a good sense of humour as opposed to being pretentiously straight faced. It's short at 12 episodes, but actually has a proper ending which is always good. You should be able to find it cheap on ADV UK's site now as it was recently deleted. Sorry if you do give it a look and hate it though!)

Where is Area 88 OVA?

Yet another vintage license tossed a side like a piece of rubbish.

A firm reminder why i know longer support the UK industry.

They have only just started releasing the Area 88 TV series over here and ADV didn't licence the OVA until after they had released the series in the US so it may come after the TV series over here... or it may not depending upon how well the TV series sells.

Personally it is not my cup of tea so I really don't care if it does get released or not but that is ultimately up to ADV to decide.

Gawyn said:
Personally it is not my cup of tea so I really don't care if it does get released or not but that is ultimately up to ADV to decide.

Don't let the tv series put you off. I hate the tv series since it's an inferior remake with no real plot or character developent.

Area 88 OVA is a real classic though, everyone should see it at least once.

Area88 said:
Where is Area 88 OVA?

Yet another vintage license tossed a side like a piece of rubbish.

A firm reminder why i know longer support the UK industry.

That statement might be a tad biased, coming from someone named Area88 =P

Back