ADV license Kanon 2006!

Nyu said:
CitizenGeek said:
If this sells very well, then we'll start seeing more and more moe crap and less and less genuinely good anime. Watching anime because there are characters that are absurdly "cute", sexualised and helpless in it, when there are great movies like Tekkonkinkreet that they could be watching just seems like some great injustice to me.

Kanon isn't bloomin moe. There is a small drop of moe but it is NOT consistant. But still, i hope it sells well and it probably will.

Agreed, it isn't really moe at all, and i think it should and will sell well. Before you judge a series on genre alone or call it 'moe' for that matter, you should really look into it, because i for one think you may get a surprise at how good some of them can be.

Maxon said:
You need to take into account the fact moe doesn't have a proper definition when you claim something isn't moe.

While that is true, we know what citizengeek's definition is as he already stated and none of that "moe" is in Kanon.

It's just like in say, Ergo Proxy, theres a tiny amount of romance between the two main protagonists. But you wouldn't say it was a romantic show.

CitizenGeek said:
Jayme said:
Your missing out on SOME good anime's if you just dust them off because the characters are designed in a so-called Moe way.

...... like what?

I hope it does well. The anime industry can never be big enough, And if this sells well, A bigger title might come along and etc.

If this sells very well, then we'll start seeing more and more moe crap and less and less genuinely good anime. Watching anime because there are characters that are absurdly "cute", sexualised and helpless in it, when there are great movies like Tekkonkinkreet that they could be watching just seems like some great injustice to me.

Why watch Tekkonkinkreet when you could be watching an amazingly good romance/drama series from last year called Kanon? Seriously, I dislike moe too, yet, Kanon is one of my favourite shows. It's one of the most moving and emotional animes I've seen, with excellent characterisation. Kanon could easily have fallen into the moe trap, but it doesn't.

Besides, moe is not a genre, it's a feeling or an atmosphere, and one which depends almost entirely on reaction the viewer. Over the past few years there have quite a few shows which haven't grasped that. But thankfully that trend is diminishing, nowadays, a lot of supposedly non moe shows contain moe characters. In fact, you could argue, moe has become just another type of fanservice.

Like I said I haven't seen Kanon 06 but I would critisize the original as trying to be Moe Plus. In other words it's trying to be Moe but they've cobbled together a "plot" so people will watch it instead of some other Moe show that's totally unoriginal. Not being as textbook as the next Moe show doesn't really impress me much however because ultimately it's still garbage.

I mean, what are you supposed to take from something like Kanon? That it's really terrible when bad things (supernatural and otherwise) happen to cute girls living in the same town? Creating a sad story that has no resemblence to reality is something any seven year old child can do and by empowering this stuff we're just tainting the whole industry.

Back