ADV Films shuts down?

*Shall be keeping a VERY close on eye on planned ADV purchases*.

I was still waiting for the ENTIRE collection of Get Backers, none of this part one and part 2 stuffage. Guess I will have to get the US box afterall...

I've been waiting for someone to switch off the life support at ADV for 2 years now. But this is just a Phoenix manuver. I wonder where this leaves Greenfield and Ledford though. Oh, Update 4, Ledford gets the bullet.

Mohawk52 said:
I've been waiting for someone to switch off the life support at ADV for 2 years now. But this is just a Phoenix manuver. I wonder where this leaves Greenfield and Ledford though. Oh, Update 4, Ledford gets the bullet.

Yeah. They haven't licensed anything for at least three years and a lot of what they had is owned by Funi.

Following ANN's elaboration on the news, people are predicting that the existing catalogue will continue to be released bearing the old ADV logos. It'd come as less of a shock to those acquainted with old brand.

Mohawk52 said:
Didn't he at least partially own the company though? If so, how are they doing all this without his say-so?

I mean, rule number one: If you're going down, at least take everyone else with you.

ayase said:
Mohawk52 said:
Didn't he at least partially own the company though? If so, how are they doing all this without his say-so?

I mean, rule number one: If you're going down, at least take everyone else with you.
well, sell your assets to a new company owned by your wife / kid/ dog, keep your old one, declare bankrupcy, debtors will liquidate your assets and divide between then and suck up to the rest of the debt. But wait? Didn't you sell your assets before you went down?

I have no facts, so this is just a dodgy scenario I painted on my mind. Real or unreal? hard to tell with the info I've got.

Noratav said:
Those two licenses aren't owned by ADV. Like the recent CPM rescues, they're owned by an unrelated company called Sentai Filmworks. As such, it's almost certain that 'Section 23 Films', one of the new companies mentioned in the ANN article, will re-release them in the near future.

Section23 just announced 6 new licenses in R1 (well, 4 new and 2 continuations/rereleases, technically). Sadly, nothing that interests me or that looks as though it will fly over here:

Blue Drop
Special A
Shinkyoku Sokai Polyphonica
Tears to Tiara
(and season 2 of YUA/part 2 of Snow Fairy Sugar).

R

You're Under Arrest season 2? Holy crap. Would never have expected that. Coincidentally, I was recently looking into getting the first season bundle from Right Stuf, eventually deciding against it due to the lack of season 2...

Rui said:
Section23 just announced 6 new licenses in R1 (well, 4 new and 2 continuations/rereleases, technically). Sadly, nothing that interests me or that looks as though it will fly over here:

...season 2 of YUA
:eek:

Do you not like YUA, Rui?

ilmaestro said:
:eek:

Do you not like YUA, Rui?

I don't hate it but it's never really appealed beyond the lush Nakajima Atsuko character designs. I don't really like Ah My Goddess, either. If it spells the beginning of the undead arm of ADV rescuing some forgotten chunks of older series though, colour me interested ;)

R

I will be curios as to what the new logo stamp will be. hmmm well it did seem sentai were doing most of the grunt work any how. I guess now thinking about it with ADV gone, does that mean industrial smoke & mirrors recording studio will do too? or would sentai have acquired that also.

Otaku-san said:
I will be curios as to what the new logo stamp will be.
On that note, is there any possibility of it not changing, at least for re-released ADV titles? Apparently, some Funi releases retain a Geneon logo.

I was wondering when they'd do the whole - 'Closing down and reopening with a different name' - routine.

Hopefully they'll learn from their mistakes. ( Although I doubt it. )

It's a shame really, as they used to be my favourite anime distributor.

chaos said:
well, sell your assets to a new company owned by your wife / kid/ dog, keep your old one, declare bankrupcy, debtors will liquidate your assets and divide between then and suck up to the rest of the debt. But wait? Didn't you sell your assets before you went down?

In this case the new company appears to be owned by Ledford's lawyer! Actually, I didn't realise this until I read the ANN editorial on the subject, but ADV transferred their secured debt to the company that holds all their old licenses (i.e. AEsir Holdings). Presumably, the licenses will act as collateral for the debts and any revenues they get from them will go to paying that debt off. The unsecured debts will magically disappear when A.D. Vision, Inc. files for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, along with Sojitz's 20% shareholding.

Mohawk52 said:
I wonder where this leaves Greenfield and Ledford though. Oh, Update 4, Ledford gets the bullet.

Ledford's doesn't need to be involved in any of this, he's the one who owns and runs Sentai. However, I'm expecting all these splinter companies to be unexpectedly taken over by Ledford once ADV's debt has been cleared and the legal maneuvers have been completed. Not sure about Greenfield, did he actually own any of ADV? He's probably involved with one (or more) of the splinter companies though.

Otaku-san said:
I guess now thinking about it with ADV gone, does that mean industrial smoke & mirrors recording studio will do too? or would sentai have acquired that also.

ADV's dub studio changed their name to Amusement Park Media some time ago. As such, they were one of the bits of ADV transferred to a new company (Seraphim Studios in this case).

Zin5ki said:
Otaku-san said:
I will be curios as to what the new logo stamp will be.
On that note, is there any possibility of it not changing, at least for re-released ADV titles? Apparently, some Funi releases retain a Geneon logo.

Funi's releases which retain a Geneon logo, aren't Funi's releases.

They're Geneon's releases. Funimation just distributes them.

Rui said:
...season 2 of YUA...
I'm baffled. I never expected to see this in english, but I'm really glad it will get a release. I could even buy this singles.

Tears to tiara also interests me, the rest no.

Which begs the question: did they learn anything?

Well, I would buy Season 2 of YUA, but nodub=nosale. Really wanted Funi to get this one and bring back the old cast like they are doing with Slayers... :(

Back