A tiny suggestion, perhaps?

How many simultaneous hits do you have to your server ? How many SQL queries an hour ? £10 is not enough to get the reasources you need for a big forum. bandwith and space are not the only limiting factor's.

Isn't this all getting JUST a little out of hand? If we could all just get back to the question to point, and the answer to that which was that Paul will look into it. I doubt if this is something that is worth starting feudes between members about who knows more about what than someone else or forum ethics.
For those who are used to having images in sigs, you must have to accept that not everywhere is the same, sure they may be a good way to promote yourself or anime/manga but, not having them is'nt really something worth getting upset about.

Ryo Chan said:
I would like to see non-abusive examples of how hawking your custom or downloaded graphical content adds value to a discussion on imports vs domestic DVD releases, latest anime in japan or the imminent release of UK Naruto. Frankly the non-abusives sigs add nothing to forum content.

ok very well 3 years ago i was veiwing a forum and i saw this very nicely drawn anime character and suddenly i desided i wanted to see the show.

And how did that add to the discussion? What was the discussion even about? Do you remember? I have no problem with graphical content being added to forums where it is in context. Like adding in graphics of characters or screen caps into threads about:
-Favourite characters
-Favourite anime
-Pimp some obscure/underrated anime threads
Those are always cool. And I participate in image threads regularly (with image warnings in the thread titles) just there hasn't been one lately here that I recall.

Ryo Chan said:
want me to contiune?

Not really, just answer the question I originally asked and not the one you wanted to answer.

Ryo Chan said:
and don't say admins have no power over external file size's i've seen forums that can modify a 800x600 wallpaper into a 100x75 avatar

Yes, if the site hosts it. Or if the site actively downloads it from the external server and does it on the fly. These kind of policing activities consume server resources and bandwidth.

But externally hosted images, especially those hosted on say imageshack.us come straight from that site to your browser bypassing Anime UK News. At best Anime UK News could modify the image attributes so that an 800 x 600 image gets displayed as a 100 x 75 graphic, but the user is still downloading an 800x600 file.

Nobody is crazy enough to have their server download the external image and modify it on the fly. It would be cheaper to host the shrunken image directly.

Think about how mods are implemented.

Besides it looks like it is easier to block signatures on a per-profile basis than it is to just block image tags from signatures.

Chris said:
Isn't this all getting JUST a little out of hand? If we could all just get back to the question to point, and the answer to that which was that Paul will look into it. I doubt if this is something that is worth starting feudes between members about who knows more about what than someone else or forum ethics.

I agree. By being so caught up about the sigs, how will you ever hope to get them? Let the Power that be (Paul) decide on the age old question of 'to sig or not to sig!'

Please stop inciting each other - two wrongs doesn't make anything right.
________
MARIJUANA NEWS

Haha, sorry but after reading all of that stuff everyone has posted, especially LAughing Manji's who provided a very informational reply to me; I just can't be arsed replying to anything right now. But I still hold my ground and claim that we should find a solution which allows those of us who choose to use images in our signatures to do so, without being burned on the stake or something. :D

So I've just been playing around with the brand with phpBB 3.0.B1 and it turns out that users can individually turn signatures on/off and I can myself stop images appearing in signatures via a nice admin panel :) Should be good :)

So Mr. Paul, is that a "Yes, I can finally allow people to use images in their signatures, BUT they have to keep it to a certain size." or "I still stand by what I said, kiss my ass Nemph!". :D

As one of the last people I know to switch to broadband, I found that while on 56k, sig images were never a problem, & the wait was never long. I think the important limit we should observe is no wider than 600, lest the page be stretched on the screens of 1024x768ers.

I have never really found the use of image signitures in my interest at all. To be honest a text signiture is enough for me and i think it could well be for most but who am i to judge? If Paul says no image sigs then i will back that up, he says yes to them i will back that to..i don't really mind.

I'm still wondering if we're actually allowed images yet. I was going to put my signature up but I'm not sure if the Admin actually said it's okay or not. We need more eyecandy. :O

Paul said images in signatures were not allowed. His last post discussed some mechanisms he had discovered in later versions of the forum software to allow user control of displaying signatures and convenient admin methods to remove images.

None of these functions are in place as far as I can tell. And Paul never said anything about allowing images in signatures. He has made a case against image signatures for aesthetic reasons.

I would imagine that if Paul allows image signatures, he will tell us

I like the prosaic nature of Anime UK news, frankly its about the only anime forum that isn't overloaded with redundant vanity graphics from users. People talk and share information here, rather than post 1 line responses to pimp their graphics meme.

If you really want to exercise your graphics talent - theres a creative arena here, which is an appropriate place to put graphical content with a niche interest. Theres also plenty of other forums who shove it down peoples throats, and have no restrictions.

While you have loads of options for showcasing your signatures, this is about the only place I can find that has a proper anime discussion that doesn't require the page-down key to read the next sentence.

I can't seem to understand where people get the impression that those who use graphics in their signatures just sit there posting one-line replies all day. If I'm any kind of example than that point of view is wrong, no? :O

Just make a thread in the off-topic zone shwoing all this "work" you produce, at least then you may show us this "eye candy" seriously, it better be eye candy as I'll be the judge to that. ;[

Oh and this is how the forum runs on one-line replies, it always has and will as long as Paul is the Admin person. Unless he suddenly decides to have graphics, which is unlikely.

It was a succinct response to Nemphtis query. That forum has some gems of discussion, but it has a lot of filler. It sometimes feels like there are more posts than sentences (if thats possible), and its got some of the worst signature envy going around.

You basically can't follow a thread of discussion there.

Don't see how I am being hypocritical. I don't have an image signature. Though I might be tempted to make an obnoxious protest one on certain forums.

And as for fighting, Paul has made his position very clear in this thread:

Paul said:
I really don't like them at all and its especially bad in the anime community. I know that people like to ascert their identities in a community and show off their wares, but I think they are a large eye sore and fill threads up with needless graphical padding.

-he doesn't like them based on aesthetic grounds. Same as me. I got a bunch of other reasons for disliking them (like makes the forum non-work-safe in some cases, not even family-safe on occasion, and disrupts the reading of the threads, they are also totally off topic in every thread except a 'pimp your signature' thread).

Yet Nemphtis keeps bleating on about getting them re-introduced. People can get a bit irritable about that, especially when there have been numerous alternative suggestions as to where Nemphtis can display his eye-candy. Some of us (admittedly I am probably the most vocal about it) like the fact that we can read anime UK news.

Its a very novel and refreshingly simple experience in anime fandom. Personally I would like to keep it that way.

I'm siding with the majority of what Laughing Manji is saying here and until phpbb-v3 is released, the sig-image rule will likely remain in place. It's just always been this way at Anime UK News.

It's good to know peoples opinions though, that's why I haven't closed this thread.

Don't see how I am being hypocritical. I don't have an image signature. Though I might be tempted to make an obnoxious protest one on certain forums.

actually that was my mistake, i was replying to the 1 liner comment and for some reason i thought it was you who said it, so i retract my earlier comment and appologise :(

damn hayfever is doing my eyes in lol

Back