A List of the Anime-themed Video Games Coming in 2018!

N

NormanicGrav

Over the past couple of years we have seen a lot of publishers provide a whole bunch of video games based on existing anime/manga/novel IPs including Koei Tecmo’s Musou franchise and even the smartphone scene with Love Live!. But for 2018 we have a lot, and I mean A LOT, of anime-themed video games that are coming out soon.

Before we list them all, a few honourable mentions for the recently released titles which just got released in the past few months!

City Shrouded in Shadow: A spiritual successor to the Disaster Report franchise that brings together a whole bunch of popular monsters from Japanese media and even introduces well-known anime mechas into the mix, all of them appearing as Kaiju throughout the game. Characters ranging between Godzilla, Evangelion Unit 01, Ultraman, Patlabor’s AV-98 Ingram, Gamera, and much more! The game is only available on the PlayStation 4 in Japan without English support, but there are walkthroughs available online.

Gundam Versus: The latest instalment in the Gundam franchise now officially localised in English. Fans all-around the world can battle using various Gundam mechs including new ones available as added content! Available exclusively on PlayStation 4 worldwide.

Kaiji: Steel Beam Crossing of Despair: Based on the manga series, the game covers the Steel Beam Crossing segment from the source material! You can even play it in Virtual Reality. The game is only available for PlayStation 4 via VR and for Nintendo Switch owners without VR in Japan only.

Now for the main event – there are over 15+ titles coming out so without further due here we go!

AnimeG-Attack-on-Titan-2-2.jpg

Attack on Titan 2

Release Date: March 20th 2018
Genre: Action/Musou
Formats: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC

Koei Tecmo’s next instalment in the Musou style series based on Attack on Titan’s second anime season. The game features more content including over 30 playable characters plus character customisation is now included. Changes to the gameplay has also been applied to this instalment including the Titan movement and the 3D Maneuver Gear actions.

View the trailer here.

AnimeG-Black-Clover-Quartet-Knights-2.jpg

Black Clover: Quartet Knights

Release Date: 2018
Genre: Action/Third Person Shooter
Formats: PlayStation 4, PC

Recently announced by Bandai Namco, Black Clover Quartet Knights will offer a four versus four gameplay using third person magical shooting. Other gameplay mechanics include high strategic maps and unique magic for each character. May include Asta’s scream.

View the trailer here.

AnimeG-Certain-Magical-Virtual-On-2.jpg

A Certain Magical Virtual-On

Release Date: February 15th 2018 (Japan)
Genre: Arcade Action
Formats: PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita

A collaboration between SEGA’s Virtual-On series and Dengeki Bunko’s A Certain Magical Index franchise, the game is an action arcade style that pits players against other Virtual-On mechs. Each Index character has their own mecha as well. The game is also based on the crossover novel released back in May 2016.

While not announced for the west the Japanese release will be import friendly. A playable demo is available on the Japanese PlayStation store for PS4 and Vita.

View the trailer here.

AnimeG-Digimon-Story-Cyber-Sleuth-HM-2.jpg

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth Hacker’s Memory

Release Date: January 19th 2018
Genre: RPG

Hacker’s Memory is a sequel to the well-loved Cyber Sleuth game back in 2015. The gameplay shares similar elements to its predecessor while also offering a new storyline and more Digimon creatures to encounter. While the Japanese release is bundled with its predecessor (since it was released on Vita first and Japan never received the game on PS4), the localised release will offer the sequel only.

View the trailer here.

AnimeG-Dragonball-Fighterz-2.jpg

Dragon Ball FighterZ

Release Date: January 26th 2018
Genre: 2D style Fighting
Formats: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC

Dragon Ball takes a trip to the 2D style fighting route from the developers of BlazBlue and Guilty Gear. Battle in 3 vs 3 with tons of playable characters and fight in both Arcade mode and online multiplayer.

View the trailer.

AnimeG-Full-Metal-Panic-2.png

Full Metal Panic! Fight: Who Dares Wins

Release Date: 2018 (Asia)
Genre: Strategy RPG
Formats: PlayStation 4

While celebrating the return of the anime series, Bandai Namco have also announced a brand new strategy game. Information is limited for the time being but the game is being developed by the Super Robot Wars team!

While not announced for the west it will be available with English subtitles in the Asian English release.

View the trailer here.

AnimeG-Gintama-Rumble-2.jpg

Gintama Rumble

Release Date: January 18th 2018 (Asia)
Genre: Action/Musou
Formats: PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita (Japan)

Gintoku & co. now have their own video game! Gintama Rumble is an action beat em up in a similar vein to the Musou franchise. Multiple playable characters with their own fighting skills and also post-game content available for different characters and their perspectives.

While not announced for the west it will be available with English subtitles in the Asian English release available to pre-order on Play Asia.

View the trailer here.

AnimeG-Girls-und-Panzer-2.jpg

Girls und Panzer: Dream Tank Match

Release Date: February 27th 2018 (Asia)
Genre: Action

The Girls und Panzer teams return for another video game instalment, this time on PS4. Gameplay is similar to the Vita predecessor where you fight against other schools during a Tank match. Players can select a school of their preference, battle through various game modes and even collect ‘hidden bokos’ to customise your tank.

While not announced for the west it will be available with English subtitles in the Asian English release available to pre-order on Play Asia.

View the trailer here.

AnimeG-Hokuto-ga-Gotoku-2.jpg

Hokuto ga Gotoku (Fist of the North Star)

Release Date: March 8th 2018 (Japan)
Genre: ATATATATATATATATATA

Celebrating its 35th anniversary, the developers of Ryū ga Gotoku (Like a Dragon / Yakuza) are working on a Fist of the North Star action adventure beat em up using the Ryū ga Gotoku Dragon engine. Gameplay is also similar to the Ryū ga Gotoku series with various mini-games and even cool fighting techniques that honours the original source material.

While not announced for the west the Japanese release will be import friendly if you are familiar with the Yakuza (Ryu ga Gotoku) formula. A playable demo will also be available on the Japanese PlayStation store in February 2018.

View the trailer here.

AnimeG-Little-Witch-Academia-2.jpg

Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time

Release Date: February 20th 2018
Genre: Action Side-scrolling RPG
Formats: PlayStation 4, PC

Bandai Namco and studio TRIGGER offer more Little Witch Academia goodness with an action side-scrolling RPG beat em up (like Dragon’s Crown). Outside of the combat you can even walk around the academy as Akko and interact with other characters.

A playable demo is available on the Japanese PlayStation store.

AnimeG-Love-Live-2.png

Love Live! School Idol Festival All Stars

Genre: Music/Rhythm
Formats: iOS, Android

The hugely popular smartphone game is getting a new instalment in 2018. This time with a fully voiced original story that brings both μ’s and Aqours together plus a new group from Nijigasaki Academy School Idol Club introduced earlier in 2017.

View the trailer here.

AnimeG-My-Hero-Academia-2.jpg

My Hero Academia: One’s Justice

Genre: Action/Fighting
Formats: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC

Recently announced by Bandai Namco, My Hero Academia gets a brand new battle action 3D fighting game with players controlling characters from both the Hero and Villain sides. So far information is minimal but stage destruction has been mentioned during gameplay.

View the trailer here.

AnimeG-Naruto-to-Boruto-2.jpg

Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker

Another Naruto/Boruto game heads to game consoles! Battle against others in 4 vs 4 team modes in co-op and online. Play as various characters from both the Naruto franchise and also the recent Boruto series. While Ultimate Ninja Storm is fighting based, Shinobi Striker focuses more on team base objectives. Character customisation is also available.

View the trailer here.

AnimeG-One-Piece-World-Seeker-2.jpg

One Piece: World Seeker

Genre: Action

After numerous Musou-like adventures, One Piece now enters the Open World! World Seeker celebrates the franchise’s 20th anniversary and is the biggest One Piece game to date. Play as Luffy and tackle enemies, environments and more in an action/adventure experience. The game’s announcement was very recent so expect more information to be revealed throughout 2018.

View the trailer here.

AnimeG-Seven-Deadly-Sins-2.jpg

The Seven Deadly Sins: Knights of Britannia

Release Date: February 9th 2018

The Seven Deadly Sins enters home video consoles for the first time as an action 3D fighting game. Play as various characters from the series and use their abilities to defeat one another. The Adventure Mode will cover the events adapted from the anime series as well as the upcoming Ten Commandments arc which will be added in a free update. Characters can customise their magic abilities throughout their journey and also tackle side-quests. Duel Mode is also available for 2 player offline and 4 player online action.

View the trailer here.

AnimeG-Super-Robot-Wars-X-2.png

Super Robot Wars X

Release Date: April 26th 2018 (Asia)
Genre: Strategy RPG

Just recently unveiled, the next instalment in the Super Robot Wars franchise is coming sooner than we had expected. The game features an all-star cast including new additions like Buddy Complex, Gundam Reconguista in G and Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water to go alongside the recurring franchises like Code Geass, Cross Ange, Gurren Lagann and Mobile Suit Gundam Wing.

View the trailer here.

AnimeG-Sword-Art-Online-FB-2.jpg

Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet

Release Date: February 23rd 2018
Genre: Action/Third Person Shooter

The next instalment in the Sword Art Online video game storyline now takes Kirito & co. to the world of Gun Gale Online. Gameplay has switched from an Action RPG to a Third Person Shooter. Just like the previous games you tackle opponents with a partner or even take on challenges in 4 on 4 battles.

View the trailer here.

Other anime-related titles coming in 2018:

• Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Infinite Combate – A dungeon-crawling RPG / visual novel based on the light novel series. Coming to PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita on Summer 2018 in Japan.
  • One Piece: Grand Cruise – A spin-off title that makes use of the PlayStation VR headset. Coming to PlayStation 4 for North America and Europe in 2018.
  • Steins;Gate ELITE – A remake of the original visual novel using the anime scenes from studio White Fox’s adaptation. Coming to PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita and Nintendo Switch on March 15th 2018 in Japan.

That’s a lot of anime-themed games coming out. Don’t forget there’s also other Japanese games getting released throughout 2018 including The 25th Ward: The Silver Case, Ni no Kuni II, Persona 3 & 5 Dancing games, Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal and also the Steam release for The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II.

Continue reading...

That was a really interesting article, stuff I didn't even know was a thing.

Consider me hyped.

Which is why I wanted to make it, because I bet a lot of people had no idea that some of these are getting English localisations.

The only two on the main list that don't have a localisation announcement are A Certain Magical Virtual-On and Hokuto ga Gotoku. The latter has a good chance of seeing an English release with the Yakuza fanbase backing it.

I'm looking forward to DBFZ. I've no nostalgia for Dragonball (never even read or watched any of it), but it just looks like a damn good fighting game.

I'm also really looking forward to DBFZ despite having very little feeling towards the franchise. It looks like a ridiculously fun fighting game and I'm sure me a my mates are gonna put a silly amount of hours into it. Shame it comes out the same day as Monster Hunter World, gonna have a hard choice to make that day... I mean I'll buy both, no idea what I'll play first :p

I actually debated about the Persona franchise, and we decided it didn't count as anime games since they started off as a game first therefore the Cross Tag Battle instalment wouldn't count either, the same goes for Granblue Fantasy Project Re:Link as well.
Yeah not a main game, but an "honourable mention" like the Persona 3 & 5 games you listed at the end.

As a big fan of Dragon Ball (shocker if you've been following the reviews on the site...) and the Guilty Gear series, Dragon Ball FighterZ is a dream game for me, and I couldn't be more excited to get my hands on it at the end of next month.

A new Super Robot Wars game being on the way managed to slip past my attention, I hope it gets an English language version somewhere, even if isn't here. A fan-translated version of one of the PS1 games was a treat to play through a year or two ago.

A new Super Robot Wars game being on the way managed to slip past my attention, I hope it gets an English language version somewhere, even if isn't here. A fan-translated version of one of the PS1 games was a treat to play through a year or two ago.

In case you missed it, X is confirmed for English localisation for the Asian region mentioned in the article. The previous instalment V and OG Moon Dwellers are also in English.

In case you missed it, X is confirmed for English localisation for the Asian region mentioned in the article. The previous instalment V and OG Moon Dwellers are also in English.

Oh yes... Right. I somehow read that as "expected to be" rather than... well, what it actually said. *ahem* .... Good news though!

I've played the LWA demo and can confirm it's utter garbage. It looks like a PS2 game for starters. The cut scenes are embarrasing as well, it's just a cheap cash in.

The SDS game looks interesting but I will not pick it up full price.

Back