A good comedy

sanji no 1

Vampire Ninja
To be honest, The anime genre i like the most is Action. Such as Dragonball z, One piece and things similer to that. The only non-action anime ive seen is Elfen Lied. Which i liked very much.

But i want to watch a different anime for a change. A comedy anime is what i would like to see. So what good comedy animes is there that i should check out?

Genshiken.

Definatly go for Genshiken.

I also found The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya funny, but thats kinda cause of how light hearted it is.

Azumanga Daioh is a pretty strong comedy but, its just 'too' comedy for me, theres not much bar comedy. I've watched 3 episodes and theres still no real story unfolding, no end goal etc. So overall, I reccomend Genshiken or Haruhi.

Edit: This should be in the Anime Views and Reccomendations section, now news!!

fabricatedlunatic said:
Azumanga Daioh, Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu, The Ping Pong Club.

Bow down before the Holy Trinity of anime comedy.
The Real Holy Trinity of anime comedy:

Full Metal Panic (all 3 seasons but Fumoffu especially)
Those Who Hunt Elves
Golden Boy

:p

I think you have to see Full Metal Panic! to enjoy/understand references in Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu.

But yeah, azumanga daioh is pure comedy. It has no plot or anything. Check it out :)

I'm both too old and too humourless to judge, but I really don't like watching Comedy Anime. At best it's bad because it's a half-hour of references to things that your non-Japanophile friends wouldn't get, but you chortle at because you came across it on wikipedia, or on some random blog 8 months ago and understanding the reference makes you feel a little smarter than you actually are... at worst it's half an hour of squeaky voices, dumb slapstick and the nagging feeling that there's something fundamentally wrong with the genre's fixation on high-school girls...

Full Metal Panic, Rune Soldier, Tenchi etc. I still fail to see how Azumanga Daioh is funny, I have watched it twice now and I really was determined to find it funny the second time...but it just isn't. >.>

megagold5 said:
Full Metal Panic, Rune Soldier, Tenchi etc. I still fail to see how Azumanga Daioh is funny, I have watched it twice now and I really was determined to find it funny the second time...but it just isn't. >.>

Haha. I've found it hard to laugh at so ive put it on hold for a while. Its like, I can see the jokes but I just dont find it that funny. Half the time I wanna punch one of the characters :lol:

Chobits has it's funny side. The slayers and Rune Soldier are both pretty good on the fantasy side along with Those That Hunt Elves.

A couple of older long series to look at are Ranma 1/2 and Urusei Yatsura.

If you have tried Excel Saga and liked it there are a couple of short series you might be interested in Puni Puni Poemy and Cosplay Complex

It's unfair to say that all anime comedy is referential or relates to high school girls. Maybe the popular ones recommended here do, but that's not a fair representation. Cromartie for example has not a single high school girl in sight that I remember ;)

Anyway I'm not going to recommend anything because I have absolutely no idea what the original poster finds funny. What kind of non-anime comedy do you like? Most comedy really annoys me but there's a certain type which works, and this applies to both anime and live action humour.

R

If you narrow down your preferences a lil' it would be easier. But Excel Saga and Gin Tama are among the funniest anime series I've seen, and if they don't work, then your sence of humour is broken. Give them a try!

Just Passing Through said:
I'm currently chuckling at Tenchi Muyo GXP, directed by Shinichi Watanabe, he who directed Excel Saga

I don't think GXP is one of the best of the Tenchi franchise, but I do think it is possibly one of the funniest I can't really think of too much played straight in it.

Dracos said:
Just Passing Through said:
I'm currently chuckling at Tenchi Muyo GXP, directed by Shinichi Watanabe, he who directed Excel Saga

I don't think GXP is one of the best of the Tenchi franchise, but I do think it is possibly one of the funniest I can't really think of too much played straight in it.

I'v said it before and I will say it again... GXP=BEST Tenchi :D

Back