A debate about MAL's unusually positive stance on Neo-Nazis; thread will be closed if flaming occurs

Out of curiousity, but how many here use MAL beyond what the name implies? As far as I care it is a list site and little else, or at least that was how I took it when I became aware of it.

Out of curiousity, but how many here use MAL beyond what the name implies? As far as I care it is a list site and little else, or at least that was how I took it when I became aware of it.

I think the majority have the sense to avoid the community part of the site like the plague. I only use it as a utility, nothing more.

I think the majority have the sense to avoid the community part of the site like the plague. I only use it as a utility, nothing more.

I avoid the forum, but I have read the news and articles section before. They can sometimes be quicker than ANN, provided you ignored anything past the first post it wasn't too bad.

I use it for:
- The list.
- News and contributing to discussions relating to this (particularly with more statistics-based stuff like sales figures etc.).
- Various clubs.
- The occasional event or contest run on the site (I've participated in every FAL since the reset).
- Episode and chapter discussions for a few select series (basically ones where I feel confident that the comments won't be toxic) and occasionally to give kneejerk reactions to others.
- Giving answers to people's questions in the non-general sections of the forum and occasionally in comments. I participate in threads that seem worthy of interest as well.
- Gathering various statistics.
Oh and I guess I could add that I'm an active contributor to the database.

Which is a rather long-winded way of saying "me".

I avoid the forum, but I have read the news and articles section before. They can sometimes be quicker than ANN, provided you ignored anything past the first post it wasn't too bad.

I use it for:
- The list.
- News and contributing to discussions relating to this (particularly with more statistics-based stuff like sales figures etc.).
- Various clubs.
- The occasional event or contest run on the site (I've participated in every FAL since the reset).
- Episode and chapter discussions for a few select series (basically ones where I feel confident that the comments won't be toxic) and occasionally to give kneejerk reactions to others.
- Giving answers to people's questions in the non-general sections of the forum and occasionally in comments. I participate in threads that seem worthy of interest as well.
- Gathering various statistics.
Oh and I guess I could add that I'm an active contributor to the database.

Which is a rather long-winded way of saying "me".

In short, Keep track of anime, the odd opinion on a specific anime, general data and little else.

I ask the question out of curiousity as MAL was only seemed a database with extras added to me. As such It seems unsurprising to find dregs there as well. What I've said is NO JUSTIFICATION for what happens there, but it can't come as a surprise either. I'm aware a lot use it as a forum, but many use it for it's primary purpose. To that end, while I'll still be using is for it's database (which reminds me I've a lot of work to do). I have to agree with Lemon and Buzz, but at the same time if MAL want to run their site their way that's on them. I'll get my use of them until something better comes regardless of their Sociopolitical leanings.

Last edited:
Back