4 unreleased Manga UK old licenses won't be coming to the UK

Neferpitou

Stand User
Don't worry it's nothing that has been announced recently but people with a good memory may remember MANGA UK had announced they had licensed the following shows: Honey & Clover, Ichigo 100% link and Save Me Lollipop, Sasami link. These titles however never appeared and MANGA UK have now confirmed that they will probably not be getting a UK DVD release by them.

source

honeyandclovervizmedia.jpg

Disappoint. I hate it when a company screws up adamantly. I would have loved to have been part of the economical democratic process but that right has been snatched away.

At times, I am forced into this schizophrenia of wanting to support a company and yet wishing snakes on their plane.

ConanThe3rd said:
Disappoint. I hate it when a company screws up adamantly. I would have loved to have been part of the economical democratic process but that right has been snatched away.
Out of curiosity, what ones would you have gone for?

Would've liked a look at Honey and Clover, but won't be now which is a bit sucky. Won't lose much sleep over the others, especially Save Me Lollipop - read some of the manga and it was pretty dire tbh.

Wonder what caused the decision? Sads. :cry:

Honey and Clover, Would have bought the whole thing at full retail too. Would have gotten Sasami if the price was right (Even if it's really only Tenchi Universe that I want).

I don't even think Ichigo 100% got a dub (or a US release for that matter) so that might explain that one, Lolipop was sub only so it might not have been worth thier time for that one.

ConanThe3rd said:
Honey and Clover, Would have bought the whole thing at full retail too.
Same, I'd have pre-ordered that. Ouran's proved that shojo titles can shift units, so it's a bit weird not to follow up with more material...

Ushio said:
ConanThe3rd said:
Out of curiosity, what ones would you have gone for?

Would've liked a look at Honey and Clover, but won't be now which is a bit sucky. Won't lose much sleep over the others, especially Save Me Lollipop - read some of the manga and it was pretty dire tbh.

Wonder what caused the decision? Sads. :cry:

I believe Ichigo 100% was never actually released on DVD by VIZ in america, so no English DUB would put off MANGA UK from releasing it.

Save Me Lollipop & Sasami were part of a general multi title deal with Funimation. I guess after some consideration looking at the two titles they decided it would be best not to release them in the UK as they wouldn't sell well.

Not sure why Honey and Clover never made it over here?

Honey and Clover is a loss, guessing it did badly in the US. Which might have more to do with releases taking forever than anything else.

Damn! I really wanted to watch Honey and Clover as well. Looks like I'm going to have to watch it online...god I hate doing that!

It's a shame about Honey & Clover, but Ichigo 100% is certainly no great loss. As harem shows go, it was absolutely bog standard. It's not particularly awful, it's just undistinguished in every way - there are far better things to spend your money on.

*head desk* I've been waiting around for AGES for Honey and Clover, not going for the Region 1 version, as I wanted to get our release. I wish they could have told us this a little earlier. I can't even remember how many years ago (2006?) it was announced for the European market (before even the US, IIRC).

Well, I'm off to order the region 1 release then.

So much love for Honey & Clover and so much hate for Ichigo 100%...
Honey & Clover is going to be an import for me then. =(

It's a shame. H&C is a special show. I never really fancied its chances of being released here, despite the popularity of Ouran, so went ahead and ordered the R1 sets. If anyone has a Right Stuf account, all three sets are 40% off at the moment.

Reason for these title not being released straight from Manga Twitter:

@aicnanime OMG! This has become the biggest none news story ever. Sasami and Lollipop were on our Funimation list, but decided not to option

RT: @Sheentaku: But wasnt manga just distributing honey and clover for Viz? <- I defer to the expert for that answer. :) /cc @MangaUK

@animevision Yes, but once we factored in cost of converting masters from NTSC to PAL, BBFC and authoring + marketing spend. It didn't work.

Mohawk52 said:
So it looks like it was the BBFC cost that killed it then. :wink:
PAL NTSC conversion+ masters, is a much much bigger cost than BBFC. See comments form Beez on DRRR. It's like 6 times as much or something of that order.
There's a reason nearly all UK DVDs are authored by Madman.

Australia is about 3 times smaller than the UK, I do wonder how come they have a bigger anime market than ours that make it possible to do all the authoring, dub and subs work...

chaos said:
Australia is about 3 times smaller than the UK, I do wonder how come they have a bigger anime market than ours that make it possible to do all the authoring, dub and subs work...

Madman is practically an anime monopoly, with more than just an anime string to their bow, which makes it commercially viable.

Also Australia's geographic position makes it a lot more tuned into South East Asian Culture...

That said, by that token we ought to have a lot more European cinema and television in the Uk than we do...

Reaper gI said:
Mohawk52 said:
So it looks like it was the BBFC cost that killed it then. :wink:
PAL NTSC conversion+ masters, is a much much bigger cost than BBFC. See comments form Beez on DRRR. It's like 6 times as much or something of that order.
There's a reason nearly all UK DVDs are authored by Madman.
Please give me a link to this Beez comment. Knowing the technology and process needed for format conversion, I find that hard to believe.

Why do they even need to convert to PAL in the first place?
No-ones gonna have a problem unless they're using a TV that's at least 10 years old

Back