4 new Evangelion movies on the way?

Given the release date of this new movie series is tentatively labeled as 2007, it's highly unlikely to be any live-action project. Indeed, given the last couple years worth of financial troubles being experienced by ADV US, I would suggest that its very unlikely that this will ever see the light of day. Maybe when James Cameron finishes up Battle Angel Alita, someone will be inspired to put their money behind the Eva project.

Ramadahl said:
Ryo Chan said:
the only thing i can think of is if they follow the angelic layer manga storyline
Angelic days?

Well, if they get made I'll watch them, cynical moneymaking scheme that they are nonetheless. Still, I'm wondering what on earth they've got left to do? I can't really see them moving the story away from Shinji + Co., but they seem to have covered all the story there already. Guess I'll just wait for more info...

i knew what i ment :p

Paul said:
Given the release date of this new movie series is tentatively labeled as 2007, it's highly unlikely to be any live-action project. Indeed, given the last couple years worth of financial troubles being experienced by ADV US, I would suggest that its very unlikely that this will ever see the light of day. Maybe when James Cameron finishes up Battle Angel Alita, someone will be inspired to put their money behind the Eva project.

I thought ADV claimed at a Con earlier in the year (NYCC perhaps?), that they had the money and that they were waiting for one of their three prospective directors to become available. Not that I actually believe that the Live Action Movie is going to see the light of day. Even if it does, I would be very surprised if it like these new movies was anything other than a toned down cash-in.

Well I was talking to Matt Greenfield at Tomo-dachi and he made it very clear that not only is the Eva Live action movie alive but its advancing behind the scenes. Even so there is to be a big announcement in the next few months about it. Something very big.

also from ANN taking from newtype

Newtype also mentions that viewers will not need to have already seen previous Evangelion material in order to understand and enjoy the new movies.

i really think it's something along the iron maiden/angelic days story now

butch-cassidy said:
Well I was talking to Matt Greenfield at Tomo-dachi and he made it very clear that not only is the Eva Live action movie alive but its advancing behind the scenes. Even so there is to be a big announcement in the next few months about it. Something very big.
As much as I'd like to believe him (through morbid curiosity more than anything) I'm expecting them to say nothing more than "We've not forgotten about it yet!"

Paul's got a good point - ADV have some problems right now that don't go too well with large, expensive projects such as this film. If they can't release a few manga volumes and buy up the FMP! TSR licence (especially when they released the previous two FMP series) I don't hold out much hope for them with this.

NGE was a great series but it's high time Gainax moved on and concentrated on newer stuff. How the mighty have fallen, eh?

ConcreteBadger said:
Paul's got a good point - ADV have some problems right now that don't go too well with large, expensive projects such as this film. If they can't release a few manga volumes and buy up the FMP! TSR licence (especially when they released the previous two FMP series) I don't hold out much hope for them with this.
I actually thought the reason they were having problems was because they were trying to raise the funds for the movie(or movie series) and were cutting back on some areas but it kinda went out of hand and now they are just trying to get back on track.

Na, the reason they have been having so many problems is because they bought up to many 'minor' licenses which didn’t sell too well and overloaded the shelves over there. It is a mistake they will not make again and now that their finally getting some new material they should make a good comeback.

I'm not sure I see a lot of potential in ADV's new licenses - the only one of real note is the harem fantasy Utawarerumono. That said, they still haven't released KURAU: Phantom Memory (which is a Studio "Fullmetal Alchemist, Wolf's Rain" Bones anime series) despite prelicensing it way back in 2004. Either way, it will be interesting to see how they dig themselves out of the mire. Like ConcreteBadger said, since their ambitious manga division failed, they seem to be on auto-pilot.

That said, I'll happily praise them if they manage to get the Eva project moving.

ADV have been given a big boost recently by the takeover/investment from Japanese company Sojitsu. ADV was the last of the big anime US licensors to be wholly privately owned up until that point but with that investment they are now have some freedom to get back into licencing. Licencing takes a fair amount of time and discussion so it may be a while before we truly see what comes of it all but give them time since they are far from out of it at the moment.

I wonder how this will effect production of the Eva movie, if it hasn't been cancelled and the funds redirected into this? Hah. I doubt it.

But I really do wonder how they affect each other, especially with advertising and resourse mangament, will art and creative resources be shared? Will Gainax be using Eva Movie resources to tie into the new productions? Will they hold off the movie until they are completed?

The only one thing is certain, these new Eva projects will see the light of day before the live action project.

The ADV Eva movie is completely separate from the Gainax one. It was a bit of a bone of contention between the two parties at one point that most (if not all) of the original creative team behind Eva were not involved in the movie at all (as I understand it).

Back