4 new Evangelion movies on the way?

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
According to an unconfirmed report on Anime News Service, 4 brand new Neon Genesis Evangelion movies are currently being produced in Japan with the first movie currently set for release during the summer of 2007. These are completely new movies - not sequels to or remakes of the original story ("the time base of the story is the same as the original TV series", "The technique that purposely scatters difficult words and phrases will not be used any longer.").

Creator and director of the original Evangelion series Hideaki Anno could be involved as "General Supervisor" of this project, though all of this is expected to be confirmed in the forthcoming issue of Japan's anime magazine Newtype.

Not really sure what to think of this - while I'm excited to see more Evangelion, part of me feels this is a cynical financial decision that may result in a quartet of watered down mainstream action movies. The allure of Evangelion is the fact that it's so (emotionally and narrative-wise) unpolished, dumbing it down for the masses would be a shame. Anno's involvement is a good thing, though I'd rather see him in the directors chair.

Of course it's a cash in, but what Eva fan will be able to resist not buying into it? I know I'd go see it, which kinda sucks...

certainly very interested to hear about more evangelion... but will certainly hope for something new rather than a retelling or a dumbing down, or whatever... hey maybe they'll tell it all from the Angel's point of view this time lol ^__^

will try to wait for some solid info before getting too excited...

I think if it matches the tone and story of the series they'll be fine but definately if its rushed and stupid like the police academy series from 4 to 8 including pet academy then we're screwed...

Err :? Yeah... kinda dont want it to happen an yet I kinda do want it to happen. Grr why do they play with us so. They know we will want to see it regardless of how bad it may be. Might aswell just give them my money now.

i have yet to see all of the original tv series of EVA (yes i'm late, looking forward to the new boxset) so i cant really say anything about this.
however i must say, the franchise is being really milked now. i thought after the movies, that was it, no more EVA.
must be the HARDCORE fans sending in fan-mails to the producers like every week or something.

I wonder if this story will follow the Kaworu side of things? IIRC, references are often made to the American NERV base, so I suspect that these movies may follow that side of things.

all i can see is another potential multiple dvd release system going on lolol.
looks like i may have to wait even longer for the whole EVA movie Boxset.

I'm assuming this is a separate announcement to the live action film(s) that ADV and Weta Workshop were planning? That's been in preproduction limbo for heaven knows how long, but even though that had Gainax's permission there are announcements of this. I honestly don't know what's going on and will keep my eyes peeled for news.

Ryo Chan said:
the only thing i can think of is if they follow the angelic layer manga storyline
Angelic days?

Well, if they get made I'll watch them, cynical moneymaking scheme that they are nonetheless. Still, I'm wondering what on earth they've got left to do? I can't really see them moving the story away from Shinji + Co., but they seem to have covered all the story there already. Guess I'll just wait for more info...

ConcreteBadger said:
I'm assuming this is a separate announcement to the live action film(s) that ADV and Weta Workshop were planning? That's been in preproduction limbo for heaven knows how long, but even though that had Gainax's permission there are announcements of this. I honestly don't know what's going on and will keep my eyes peeled for news.

I was wondering about that myself... with Gainax actually doing 4 new movies for Evangelion, where does that leave the live action movie project?

Maybe these will be to help set up the live-action movie? It is a possibility... isn't there meant to be some announcement about the movie or something? or a big scoop on it somewhere soon?

Back