3DS Amsterdam Conference - Pricing, launch date, you name it

We aren't the same region as Australia for DVDs...

Anyway, the interest I had in this product has evaporated now it's going to be region locked so my first generation DS will be safe for a few more years. If my main console isn't locked, and my PC isn't locked, I don't see why I'd want a portable device that is in order to hinder my trips abroad completely.

See you next product launch, Nintendo!

R

Ryo Chan said:
Europe/Australlia has always been same region

even with blurays and dvd's
Not dvds they're R4, we're R2.
They just speak English and are PAL so we shared masters a lot.
We've always shared distributors due to being PAL.

The reason is purely financial not related to Clasifications boards etc.
Australia uniquely seriously restricts games rated over 15+; Europe shares the ratings board and electrical safety law.

The RRP is indeed £250 see Zavvi.

Rui said:
We aren't the same region as Australia for DVDs...

Anyway, the interest I had in this product has evaporated now it's going to be region locked so my first generation DS will be safe for a few more years. If my main console isn't locked, and my PC isn't locked, I don't see why I'd want a portable device that is in order to hinder my trips abroad completely.

See you next product launch, Nintendo!

R
PCs are locked, just lots of games are region free. It's becoming less common now with more invasive DRM and online functionality.

Reaper gI said:
PCs are locked, just lots of games are region free. It's becoming less common now with more invasive DRM and online functionality.

Then I shall change the stress of my words a little to say that nothing on my PC is locked by region :)

R

Rui said:
Reaper gI said:

Then I shall change the stress of my words a little to say that nothing on my PC is locked by region :)

R

I also compel with this statement, and might I may add how well Daemon Tools work

Stuart-says-yes said:
Cheapest place to buy it on the internet so far.

I find it rather pathetic that america are getting it for 50-60 quid less, don't get me wrong, but the specs on it aren't much better than the psp's if I remember rightly, and its not like the camera's are actually any good, the resolution on them is horrible (same one's they used on the DSi). So why's it costing so much ?

I was reading the live feed on the guardian website and nintendo said they were leaving it up to retailers to decide on prices. So im assuming they're just trying to get as much money as they can.

I may consider paying £195 though, if that website is reputable.

Otaku-san said:
I also compel with this statement, and might I may add how well Daemon Tools work
And that can fake your OS version how? (without importing the damn OS/ major warez)

Try playing a post 2009 (version 1.6.xx and up) RealLive or any Siglus(Visual Art's) based game through it, without hacking/replacing the .exe...

Reinstaling your Windows may work; but is total overkill. Not sure if it's region switchable or already locked on the install disk. :p

I just find this hilarious after Nintendo were all about being the cheapest (although ironically most overpriced for what it was) thing on the market in their current drive to the top. N64 vs PS1 really taught them nothing.

Rui said:
Anyway, the interest I had in this product has evaporated now it's going to be region locked so my first generation DS will be safe for a few more years.
That is really shallow reasoning for not buying it. I guess the technological advances are superfluous to people like you.

Stop being so petty.

Maxon said:
That is really shallow reasoning for not buying it. I guess the technological advances are superfluous to people like you.

Stop being so petty.

I don't see how buying something which doesn't do what I want it to - or not saying why I'm not buying it, so that they think region locking a portable item makes sense - will help the situation. The entire reason I buy handhelds is to take them around with me and buy local games.

I get the hint that you think I'm a petty person, no need to repeatedly tell me so in every thread where I post ^^;

R

Relatively speaking, the amount that Japanese games cost to import these days means that for anyone who imports from there on much of a level the region locking is quite a deep issue. You either buy a UK model, and can't play most of the games you want to, or buy a Japanese model and end up paying £40 or more for the games. It's not just an ideological problem, it's one that relates directly to your enjoyment of the machine, and the financial cost of that enjoyment.

Maxon said:

Stop being so petty.

HAAAHAAAAA, Oh WOOOW

Well my reason alone is that the hand-helds' make my hands seize up after and hour or so of playing. save me carting around an expensive device whenever I'm out also. Video games are for home entertainment, just as much as reading manga or watching anime. Feels odd if I do it any other place

ilmaestro said:
Relatively speaking, the amount that Japanese games cost to import these days means that for anyone who imports from there on much of a level the region locking is quite a deep issue. You either buy a UK model, and can't play most of the games you want to, or buy a Japanese model and end up paying £40 or more for the games. It's not just an ideological problem, it's one that relates directly to your enjoyment of the machine, and the financial cost of that enjoyment.

Gaming is not just about UK vs Japan in terms of where you get your games - what about the American market? I have several American PSP games I got from Axel Music.

For me it's not just the price, but that many of the big games are remakes/ rehashes Ocarina, Star Fox, MGS3, SFIV, Resi Mercs.

I mean, great games all, but why pay for a more expensive console just to have the ability to play them anywhere. plus the current going price for the games is £34.99, which is a lot of dough for games that are in some cases over 10 years old.

It would probably still sell out even If they ask double they currently asking price. In a weird way a higher price may lower the numbers of greedy people stick them on eBay for insane prices.

Hopefully the 3ds release may push down the cost for previous DS model at least.

Back