2015 AUKN Character Battle: NOMINATIONS CLOSED

Rui

Karamatsu Boy
Administrator
Ok, let's do this.

I have created a form for submitting your nominations as it will mean it all comes out in a nice simple format for me to tidy up without losing anything in translation (in theory):

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/11GeLPW ... =send_form

There is one unique question on the form (your name) and the rest is about your nominees. Please complete all of the information as best you can as the less time I spend sorting stuff out, the sooner we can start the battle :)

This thread is for anything nomination-related.

Any problems with the form (I can change it at any time), amendments, suggestions or discussions about the characters you picked? Want to know whether your favourite mecha counts as a character (there's always one)? Want to try to bias the other voters right from the start by talking up your favourite character(s) and convincing more people to pick them? Go for it. This is the place.

Preliminary rules for the nomination phase:

1. Anyone who has an account on the forum is welcome to make up to 5 nominations. If you're a new forum user, you can still play. Mods and company reps can nominate too.
2. Do not create additional accounts in order to nominate additional characters. You will be disqualified from the character battle and none of your votes will be counted.
3. Characters who receive multiple votes from different people will automatically qualify for the battle, so if you wish to use this information strategically you can. Please see this topic for the proposed selection methodology.
4. However, the selection method is subject to change depending on the number of characters submitted. If you really want a character to qualify, please ensure you vote for them high on your list.
5. If you submit the form more than once, only your most recent submission will count (unless you leave a message in this thread and explain what we're supposed to do).
6. If anyone tries to pretend to be someone else when submitting the form, the culprit will be found and suspended from the forums until Rui is no longer angry with them. If you're worried about being impersonated simply post in the thread when you submit your nominations and it will confirm that they're yours via the timestamps.
7. Rui will give at least five days' notice when the nominations are closing by posting in this thread and updating this top post.
8. Characters who cannot be identified from the information provided will be disqualified (e.g. submitting a character called 'Sakura' from series 'Unknown anime' will result in that nomination being ignored).
9. The character must be from an anime. The anime doesn't have to be currently available in the UK, but please avoid manga-only or game-only characters.
10. Additional regulations may be added if necessary.

NEW: Nominations are now closed. I'll post again when I have had a chance to come up with a list of final nominees.

Thanks!

R

Re: 2015 AUKN Character Battle: NOMIMATIONS NOW OPEN

For the character nomination picture, can I link to the character's pictures page on Myanimelist?
It's much easier for since I'm on my PS3.

Re: 2015 AUKN Character Battle: NOMINATIONS NOW OPEN

Yep, so long as I can work out where to get a good picture from the information supplied, that will be fine. If you like one of the pictures best you can describe it (e.g. first picture in this gallery *LINK TO GALLERY*).

I'll find pictures myself for any cases where I'm not sure, but that will mean that my taste in pictures could damage a character's chance. So if you have a good picture in mind please say so :D

R

I'll take a look at this form later as work has it blocked. This will be my first battle! :)

I guess if anyone has some kind of crippling problem with the form they can just post the exact information here and then I can enter it for them at the end (I won't need to accuse myself of attempted impersonation and if only one person has responsibility it stops well-meaning duplicated entries). This is what's needed:

Your username (self-evident if you're voting via the forums).
Character #1's name, series, gender, picture link and 1-2 line introduction.
Character #2's name, series, gender, picture link and 1-2 line introduction.
Character #3's name, series, gender, picture link and 1-2 line introduction.
Character #4's name, series, gender, picture link and 1-2 line introduction.
Character #5's name, series, gender, picture link and 1-2 line introduction.

(If you only like one character you can nominate just one.)

The form is best though if possible as it saves me a few seconds :D

R

Rui said:
Yep, so long as I can work out where to get a good picture from the information supplied, that will be fine. If you like one of the pictures best you can describe it (e.g. first picture in this gallery *LINK TO GALLERY*).

I'll find pictures myself for any cases where I'm not sure, but that will mean that my taste in pictures could damage a character's chance. So if you have a good picture in mind please say so :D

R

Thanks Rui :)

Just submitted my form ^_^

Hurrah, first submission safely received :)

R

Very clever Rui, a secret nomination process stops people (like me) from waiting until late on in the process and then seconding all the characters they like.

It's also making me think about my choices more, and which ones I think might receive nominations from other forum members. Hmm...

Teehee. I'm not enforcing secrecy but if people want to use it as a springboard to strategic plotting then the added veil of paranoia certainly works for me :D

Believe in your favourites, or vote them up high in your own list :thumb:

(I've voted too now, since I don't want to be subliminally affected by any other choices. Good luck to anyone trying to guess who I picked. I'd be impressed.)

R

Questions: -

1. Does it matter what name order you use?
2. Does it matter what title you use for the series? (Japanese/English etc. or if the char. appears in multiple series)
3. Do you have to do a character introduction for every character you nominate?
4. Can said character introduction be copy/pasted from another website?

edit: 5. I take it spoilers aren't allowed in the character introduction? This could make things rather difficult for certain characters

I'll be nominating 5 of my 10 favourites on MAL. NOT all the top 5 though, and I'm not telling which ones.

kuuderes_shadow said:
Questions: -

1. Does it matter what name order you use?
2. Does it matter what title you use for the series? (Japanese/English etc. or if the char. appears in multiple series)
3. Do you have to do a character introduction for every character you nominate?
4. Can said character introduction be copy/pasted from another website?

edit: 5. I take it spoilers aren't allowed in the character introduction? This could make things rather difficult for certain characters

I'll be nominating 5 of my 10 favourites on MAL. NOT all the top 5 though, and I'm not telling which ones.

1. Nope, though I'll be hopefully remembering to put them all the same way around later (feel free to make fun of me if I forget). I personally prefer Japanese order but if the majority are in western order I'll just fix the others instead.
2. So long as I can recognise it anything is fine. If it's a character who appears in several titles I'd opt for the most famous - for example, I'd pick Zettai Karen Children for Hyoubu Kyousuke rather than The Unlimited or Psychic Squad but I'll accept any of those options (using a character Rui likes who nobody else is likely to vote for as the example).
3. If you leave it blank I'll come up with something but as I have no sense of humour I may not treat your favourite characters as well as their fans would :)
4. Sure, why not.
5. If it's essential to include a spoiler you can always put spoiler tags in (or write SPOILER before them) and this will be carried across to the battle.

R

My character introductions are rather more than 1-2 lines long (2-3 sentences instead). And I've only done two of them. For the others I put "(please use other person's or make your own)" - this is not a character introduction. Obviously.

Form submitted nonetheless.

My AUKN-1 form is now submitted (I hope) but I didn't fully comprehend the implications of ranking order for determining nominations with only a single vote.

Can my No.1 choice please be moved to my No.5 slot (I'm confident they'll be seconded) and the others slid up? Sorry Rui.

ayase said:
My AUKN-1 form is now submitted (I hope) but I didn't fully comprehend the implications of ranking order for determining nominations with only a single vote.

Can my No.1 choice please be moved to my No.5 slot (I'm confident they'll be seconded) and the others slid up? Sorry Rui.

Some people :)

Sure. Your confidence is well-placed, I would imagine.

All four sets of nominations so far have been received safely. Looks as though we may have a gender imbalance in the final rankings but we'll see how we go :D

R

Phobos said:
Can I abstain from voting just to be a pain like that? :p

Sure, though you'll have to sit and watch as weird things happen :D

The voting is completely optional and people who nominate can abstain if they like to see what happens to their minions in the arena. Also a good way of denying any responsibility for weird character choices.

R

Eugh I forgot yesterday! Boooooo. Tbh I don't even know my 5 to pick yet...there's a few so I can think about it now until I get round to filling it in :3

So uh, I hesitate to ask but how many nomination forms have you received so far Rui?

ayase said:
So uh, I hesitate to ask but how many nomination forms have you received so far Rui?

Let's just say that everyone who has submitted one has mentioned it in here :(

We'll need a lot more nominations than this for a true battle!

R

Back