12 year old boy may face arrest over Facebook protest-

is it true they threatened to shoot him if he had actually gone to his house?

crazy ott ****

as for the protests on Thursday, as someone who was actually there, I can tell you that while there were a few morons just out to cause trouble, the polices tactics and stuff were appaling, they attacked people with trunchons and horses and kettled people, even people who were btw, just trying to get the ******* coach home, the media coverage is vile and insulting, who cares about the ******* window of the royal ******* rolls royce? theres a student in hospital with brain injuries from a police trunchon, but does that get media orgasms over it and government statements on it? no, its an utter disgrace.

How embarrassed would you be to be the policeman involved in this, or the guy in charge of the department? Surely they feel as ridiculous as it all sounds.

The Power of Nightmares continues to be used to stifle dissent. Governments realise the only way to maintain their power through a time when people (especially young people) are starting to realise how the government has nothing, nothing to offer us any more.

"Public services? Afraid there are going to have to be less of those."

"Taxes? Yeah, they're going to be higher."

"Er, what... what are we actually doing for the people of the country then, you say?"

"Why, we stop you being blown up by these dangerous terrorists who are all around us, hiding in the shadows! Look, Muslims! Ooh... Dangerous! Students! Students who are going to decapitate our beloved royal family! CHILDREN! Twelve year old children who are planning to assassinate our charming Prime Minister!"

tbf, ayase, it's cliched, but the world is a far more dangerous place now than it used to be. Well, if you exclude World Wars and Flu epidemics and such.

ilmaestro said:
tbf, ayase, it's cliched, but the world is a far more dangerous place now than it used to be.
tbh, maestro, I think that's complete bollocks. There have always been criminals and terrorists, before it was Islamic extremists it was the Irish republicans and Marxists. Before them it was 19th century anarchists. Back then, we accepted that there was very little we could do about it. Now, people think we can stop it by curbing people's civil liberties. We can't. All restricting civil liberties does is tighten government control over citizens who pose a minimal threat, or who have genuine grievances with government policies. In the name of stopping deluded lunatics blowing people up, they are able to scare young people from staging valid political protests.

SciFiBoy said:

crazy ott ****

as for the protests on Thursday, as someone who was actually there, I can tell you that while there were a few morons just out to cause trouble, the polices tactics and stuff were appaling, they attacked people with trunchons and horses and kettled people, even people who were btw, just trying to get the **** coach home, the media coverage is vile and insulting, who cares about the **** window of the royal **** rolls royce? theres a student in hospital with brain injuries from a police trunchon, but does that get media orgasms over it and government statements on it? no, its an utter disgrace.

And what about those officers who were hospitalised? Don't care about them then?

Durial666 said:
SciFiBoy said:

crazy ott ****

as for the protests on Thursday, as someone who was actually there, I can tell you that while there were a few morons just out to cause trouble, the polices tactics and stuff were appaling, they attacked people with trunchons and horses and kettled people, even people who were btw, just trying to get the **** coach home, the media coverage is vile and insulting, who cares about the **** window of the royal **** rolls royce? theres a student in hospital with brain injuries from a police trunchon, but does that get media orgasms over it and government statements on it? no, its an utter disgrace.

And what about those officers who were hospitalised? Don't care about them then?
Dont it beat all? In a fight, both sides can shed blood. When it's a student with a brick - It's a protest. when a student in smacked over the head with a batton, it's a disgrace to the police enforcement.

I'm convinced (and had been so before this new riot spree came up) that there is no peaceful protest when it involves so many people. It only takes 1 idiot to antagonise the other side of this fight to make it into a mass-brawl. Not saying it has to be a protester (i.e. a student) all the time, but even police officers can be scared enough to take indecisive action and flail out.

All-in-all, dont just blame it solely on the police for all this mess. If you dont want to be kettled or pressured in any way, dont go to a rally. Otherwise, prepare for things to get ugly.

Back on topic, I can say the police force in this case are stupid. What can we say that can support the police's actions against a kid who just wanted his youth club? And it's not like he had a sledgehammer, screaming at Cameron's front door.

ayase said:
ilmaestro said:
tbf, ayase, it's cliched, but the world is a far more dangerous place now than it used to be.
tbh, maestro, I think that's complete bollocks. There have always been criminals and terrorists, before it was Islamic extremists it was the Irish republicans and Marxists. Before them it was 19th century anarchists. Back then, we accepted that there was very little we could do about it. Now, people think we can stop it by curbing people's civil liberties. We can't. All restricting civil liberties does is tighten government control over citizens who pose a minimal threat, or who have genuine grievances with government policies. In the name of stopping deluded lunatics blowing people up, they are able to scare young people from staging valid political protests.
I really don't think international terrorism in the past was anything like the issue it is now, purely from a logistical standpoint.

And if you're only looking to go back to the recent past, from a personal point of view, the stories I have heard from my family and their friends (some of them Irish or Northern Irish) make England in 2010 sound like a holiday camp compared to Birmingham around the time of the pub bombings.

The nature of terrorism has of course changed with the expansion of globalisation, as has the nature of pretty much everything else. The fact that terrorism is now "global" doesn't make it any more dangerous or widespread. Before, each country had their own terrorists. Now, everyone has the same terrorists. Think of "Al-Qaeda" as the Euro of terrorism.

The reason it's such a big issue now is because it's useful to the powers that be (government+big business+media) to make it one. It distracts from their corruption, deceit, collusion and mismanagement and provides them with a reason for existence in the eyes of the public, in a time when it has been shown multiple times that there is no reason for their existence any longer. In the 1970s, they didn't need to rule through fear because they could still offer their people hope. Now, none of the major political parties have anything to offer us; they should be replaced with people who do. Corporations run themselves into the ground, then run to their pals in the government to help themselves to our money. They should be subject to the laws of the market they espouse: live by the sword, die by the sword. And the media keeps the people at the top where they are with biased, blind reporting. Could a new major force in politics emerge today? No. Because when it isn't helping the government to keep the people in line with scaremongering, the media devotes all of it's time to the big three parties which are now all exactly the same.

I'll get off my soap-box now. But y'know what? I enjoyed being up there again.

ayase said:
The nature of terrorism has of course changed with the expansion of globalisation, as has the nature of pretty much everything else. The fact that terrorism is now "global" doesn't make it any more dangerous or widespread. Before, each country had their own terrorists. Now, everyone has the same terrorists. Think of "Al-Qaeda" as the Euro of terrorism.
So our local terrorists just gave up and were effectively put out of business by the international ones? Maybe we should call them the Tesco of terrorism. ^^;

Durial666 said:
SciFiBoy said:

crazy ott ****

sure, but the media didnt fail to cover the polices side of the story fairly, they failed utterly and completley to give fair coverage to the protesters accounts and side of the story.

and I did mention, there were a few morons who were out to cause trouble, but that doesnt excuse the police tactics on the day.

Back