The General Conversation Area

Bit of an idiotic decision to try and save money by switching off CCTV cameras, especially when crime levels are as they are. Less CCTV= increased crime (like stealing purses)..

But no doubt the council offices needs all brand new top spec £2000+ office chairs for all the council bigwigs to sit in when they are not working from home

The company is expecting us to transfer to another control room that is 2 hours away on public transport and would cost me £220 per month for bus and train on minimum wage.

Some life updates on my end (which I know contradicts the current discussion so apologises on that). I've managed to stick with my current job for just over 12 months now which is a great achievement for me personally considering how everything went down in late 2018 to early 2019, and was even rewarded for the work I did last month to get £75 Amazon gift card. I often work too hard as some have noticed - with hours going as high as 52 hours on some occasions (I'm contracted to work 40 hours a week and up to 48 in some situations due to our weekend events that are held once every while).

I like my job for the most part, but I've barely booked holiday because there's no room for one and the only reason that I got holiday booked for the rest of this week was because my manager had to intervene and force me to use up my holiday days. I do have more holiday booked in November at least (Center Parcs + Aqua Sana at the end of November) but the issue is often down to my job being so complex that it's hard to have someone backup and do some of my stuff as it's in depth.

Either way my plan is to stick with this job until I reach the limit on what I can learn, gain etc. The company also had some layoffs on one department because their group apparently was struggling for years which caught everyone off guard but the department that I work for is doing well so far, so we'll be fine in the meantime. Our IT guy also left to work for an IT support company, but their company is working with ours so he's still around in a way which is nice.

The company is expecting us to transfer to another control room that is 2 hours away on public transport and would cost me £220 per month for bus and train on minimum wage.
Some sort of semi dodgy "we will offer you this transfer which is unsuitable to avoid paying out on redundancy"?

Some sort of semi dodgy "we will offer you this transfer which is unsuitable to avoid paying out on redundancy"?
Yep, it’s the fact they didn’t offer both a transfer or redundancy. My position would definitely be made redundant as I’m the control room manager and they’ve already got one of those at the other control room, I would need to be demoted.

The best thing is we called the other control room and they have no idea about us possibly going there and when we asked if there were jobs going they were noncommittal about it. There would need to be 2 x 42 hour jobs there.

Hopefully you will get a decent pay out (18 years of service so should be at least 12 weeks pay) and can walk into another job sooner rather than later, even if it's something different.

i feel like anime is a bad influence on me, watching Yuru camp made me wanna go camping which i never did, Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater made me wanna try fishing and that never happened, Supercub made me want to get a scooter but i realised i had no idea where i'd put the scooter to keep it from getting nicked, now this season i'm watching Do it Yourself and i'm all like
no-nope.gif

My position would definitely be made redundant as I’m the control room manager and they’ve already got one of those at the other control room, I would need to be demoted.
Definitely not an option!

You have a good work history and good service to your role. You will definitely find a new position that is worthy of your talent and experience, you shouldn't settle for anything less. The most difficult part is searching, it can take a while (6 months for me), but once you find it you will be very happy.

I often work too hard as some have noticed - with hours going as high as 52 hours on some occasions (I'm contracted to work 40 hours a week and up to 48 in some situations due to our weekend events that are held once every while).

I like my job for the most part, but I've barely booked holiday because there's no room for one and the only reason that I got holiday booked for the rest of this week was because my manager had to intervene and force me to use up my holiday days.
You are obviously dedicated so nobody can fault you for taking time off. You deserve it! It may be the case that things don't get done in your absence, and that will have to be the reality. I am sure with the hard work you put in that everything will be rectified when you go back to work.

Not exactly the same but I feel is related. I was talking with my colleague yesterday; he had been promised a pay rise after 6 months, it didn't happen, he kept asking and it wasn't happening. 1 year later he had enough and he went to his manager's manager, saying he will go to the union if he wasn't going to get what he was promised. It wasn't necessary to go to the union, because he immediately got what he wanted. Sometimes we have to be assertive in our jobs, and more often than not we will get a positive outcome as fortunately we have many workers laws these days. This is not applicable in all workplaces of course, but I think it is for most office based administrative roles.

Well, I may be going back to the hospital later this coming week. I had a blood draw yesterday, and my hemoglobin level is actually dropping from when I left the hospital, so I probably am still bleeding inside my GI tract somewhere. It dropped from 8.1 to 7.5 in 10 days; normal levels are between 14-18. They are going to check the level again with another blood draw on Tuesday, and I see the GI doctor Wedneday afternoon, and they'll make a determination then whether I have to go back to the hospital or not for more exploratory work. 😟

Well, I may be going back to the hospital later this coming week. I had a blood draw yesterday, and my hemoglobin level is actually dropping from when I left the hospital, so I probably am still bleeding inside my GI tract somewhere. It dropped from 8.1 to 7.5 in 10 days; normal levels are between 14-18. They are going to check the level again with another blood draw on Tuesday, and I see the GI doctor Wedneday afternoon, and they'll make a determination then whether I have to go back to the hospital or not for more exploratory work. 😟

I hope u can still eat all ur fave foods after the issue is resolved, best of luck with recovery :) <3

I've got bad news angel may lose her Tail.that bump that I found on her tail burst but its not healing they think it might be cancer but they don't know yet she's going back tomorrow.

Well it's confirmed that I'm being made redundant, my last day of work is 31st October. And I'll be getting just under £20,000 in redundancy.

Good and bad news in a way. Bad that you are losing your job which you have been in for many years, but the good is that you are getting just under £20,000 to help tie you over until you find another job. Hopefully you will find another job sooner rather than later, even if it's an entry-level position at a supermarket

Good and bad news in a way. Bad that you are losing your job which you have been in for many years, but the good is that you are getting just under £20,000 to help tie you over until you find another job. Hopefully you will find another job sooner rather than later, even if it's an entry-level position at a supermarket
I’ve worked in a supermarket (Tesco) before and it’s not something I want to do again.

Back