UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

I've been collecting Anime on Blu-ray (and some DVD-only titles) since 2011, so maybe it's soon time to find a new hobby. My current anime collection is large enough to last me the rest of my life and then some; I'm sure I'm well over 1200 releases now.

First Manga UK then Funimation and now Rightstuf/Nozomi. Knowing how the Manga UK brand and the Funimation brand was delt with I have little doubt you won't been seeing the Nozomi brand around much longer, the Madman brand in Australia was also silently killed off with there only being a few releases still having the branding and the rest being the American version or just having a Crunchyroll logo instead of the Madman one. I also doubt they will be keeping Critical Mass around since they already got rid of all the adult stuff from there site.

So Funimation (the largest anime publisher) bought Crunchyroll (the largest anime streaming service) and now RightStuf (the largest anime distributor).

If I was a betting man and had more disposable income I'd see about buying shares in Viz Media (the largest manga publisher) because I wouldn't be surprised if they were in the sights next....

So Funimation (the largest anime publisher) bought Crunchyroll (the largest anime streaming service) and now RightStuf (the largest anime distributor).

If I was a betting man and had more disposable income I'd see about buying shares in Viz Media (the largest manga publisher) because I wouldn't be surprised if they were in the sights next....
If they really wanted anime/manga/LN consolidation, they'd target shares in Kadokawa, who also have a significant stake in the market as a whole, both overseas and the domestic Japanese market.

They own both J-Novel Club and a controlling interest in Yen Press amongst other holdings anime related.

Edit: List of anime they are a producer on: Link

If they really wanted anime/manga/LN consolidation, they'd target shares in Kadokawa, who also have a significant stake in the market as a whole, both overseas and the domestic Japanese market.

They own both J-Novel Club and a controlling interest in Yen Press amongst other holdings anime related.

Edit: List of anime they are a producer on: Link
Sony already own like 2% of Kadokawa.

Edit:
"On February 4, 2021, Kadokawa announced that the company had formed a Capital Alliance with Sony and CyberAgent to strengthen the company's creation, development, and acquisition of new IP while also maximizing use of existing IPs"

"On April 28, 2021, Kadokawa Corporation announced they acquired the company J-Novel Club"

I'm thinking Sony 'technically' already owns them 🤔

Last edited:
What I really want to know is:

1. How will this affect international shipping as a friend of mine has told me they have already increased costs to shipping to Canada.

2. How will the Nozomi licences affect AL Gundam releases?

What I really want to know is:

1. How will this affect international shipping as a friend of mine has told me they have already increased costs to shipping to Canada.

2. How will the Nozomi licences affect AL Gundam releases?
I believe the AL Gundam license is from Sunrise? I wonder if Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Victorian Romance (Anime Limited) and Aria (MVM) would be cancelled now?

Or just ones they think they can't be bothered then. Having multiple companies and groups means different groups will pick up different titles. Popular ones are naturally wanted by all but others may want to focus on specific series, and that can be beneficial with so many different series getting released on home video. But the more Sony controls, the more likely they can still stick to only releasing a few and forgetting the bulk of their catalog.

While nothing was specified for the UK release yet, the US The Dungeon of Black Company LE set contains the following
704400106675_anime-the-dungeon-of-black-company-blu-ray-limited-edition-alta.jpg
In addition to the show contained within a box, this set includes specifically "6 art cards, a 60-paged art book, a sticker sheet, and a metal business card" holder".

Back