UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

I disagree with people recommending Fate/Zero because as a prequel it completely spoils 75% of FSN’s twists, (Now HF is finally animated I mean)
One day we will get the visual novel (I mean Us Europeans/UK won’t but probably America, one day someone will pay Type Moon’s stupid asking price)
This is true. Which is why the recommended viewing order in the fandom has basically become Fate/Deen > UBW > HF trilogy > Zero

Ultimately, pick a point of entry yourself and have fun; if you latch onto it, you'll want to do it all anyway.

They're more than enjoyable without having to worry about watch order, I'm speaking from experience. I went from Zero, to UBW, to FSN to Heaven's Feel. Each series and movie are their own reward. Zero is firmly in my top 10.

HF feels tonaly closer to Zero than the rest, but Ufotable have kept things extremely consistent between all releases.

I pray they remake FSN.

I disagree with people recommending Fate/Zero because as a prequel it completely spoils 75% of FSN’s twists

This. So. Much.

I don't know why people just recommend beginning with Fate/Zero without even bothering to explain what you're going to lose from beginning there. The first episode spoils like 3-4 of the mysteries in F/SN within, what is it, ten minutes?

This. So. Much.

I don't know why people just recommend beginning with Fate/Zero without even bothering to explain what you're going to lose from beginning there. The first episode spoils like 3-4 of the mysteries in F/SN within, what is it, ten minutes?
I've stopped fighting it. No one wants to watch DEEN

I've stopped fighting it. No one wants to watch DEEN

Yeah, I know...

But I think this whole "start with Zero" narrative is problematic because those who recommend it rarely say that by starting there you'll sacrifice the mystery aspect of the F/SN adaptations. You'll know a lot of the answers to the mysteries and for me, those mysteries and the accompanied atmosphere of them were an integrated part of what made my F/SN experience enjoyable. Remove those and I would rate the series much, much lower. Seeing FS/DEEN or HF already knowing who everyone is, their relations to each other and why this or that is happening would, frankly, be boring for me. Especially in those cases when they are spoiled like it's nothing in the first episode of Zero.

So the least I think people should do is saying "Hey, you can start here, but remember, you'll sacrifice something in return" :)

I’m by no means an expert but I tried watching the original Deen anime and just dropped the whole thing because it was so bad. If Zero would’ve gotten me into the franchise then surely some of the mystery is worth spoiling.

The problem with the Seiba route is basically nothing happens for most of it. And personally speaking I don't think it was that great in the original VN either as it really dragged. Shirou and Seiba just sqabble for most of it until another servant comes. We do learn more about how the world works though, Shirous mysterious healing ability, the throne of heroes etc. Which is all glossed over in UBW as, well we already know it.

Deen actually added stuff to it to try and make it flow better like the whole battle between Archer and Berserker (which was pretty awesome and my favorite part of the DEEN adaptation). If UFOtable took a crack at it I honestly don't think they would do much better.

So the order I watched was FSN then Zero them UBW and now HF and I can safely say watching Zero early has in no way spoiled the franchise for me. Frankly I would never have watched UBW or HF without Zero and so much happens that it's not like you remember everything anyway. The gap between Zero and HF for me has been large enough that I dont feel like anything has been spoiled and I dont remember the specifics that clearly anymore.

The reason I reccomend Zero as a starting point is because I that's basically what I did and it only made me like the franchise more.

I'm pretty sure I started from Zero. It definitely did reveal things UBW never touches on, but it I knew what I was after with it and that was a decent introduction into the series to go into UBW with.

Look, I'm not saying that you've committed some grave sin by starting with Zero. Like @Vincentdante writes, a lot of people don't wanna watch DEEN's F/SN and you, @xp_version1 , made the correct move to go to Zero if DEEN's was such a bore to go through. All, I'm saying is that these are the spoilers that, off the top of my head, are present in the very first episode of Zero (I won't go into the rest of the show's spoiling).

1. Sakura and Rin are sisters
2. Sakura is part of the magical world, thus not your ordinary teenager.
3. Sakura has had a horrendous upbringing, thus the facade of just being a cutesy kohai is just that, a facade.
4. Einzbern and Kiritsugu are connected.
5. Illya and Kiritsugu are connected in a parent-child relationship.
6. Saber is King Arthur (or Artoria, as it were)
7. Saber was part of the 4th Holy Grail war.
8. Kotomine was part of the 4th Holy Grail war.
(9. barely a spoiler but still, that blonde dude that Sakura walks with at the beginning of F/SN is a servant)

So when y'all recommend Zero as a starting point in the perennial "Fate watch order?" questions, just say that Zero will spoil some stuff in F/SN along with your recommendation. Is it's worth it? To me, no. but since it seems like it worked for you, just say that it won't matter or something like that. Explain why you feel it's a better starting point.

Okay, I read through this conversation, then made the mistake of reading up on the series on wikipedia, and seriously, it's not confusing at all...

"Fate/Deen Night" refers to the 2006 "Fate/stay night" series by Studio Deen, correct?
I think I'll try the first couple episodes of that series, but if I'm not into it skip to first few episodes of UBW before writing the franchise off, and if I end up liking either enough I'll keep my fingers crossed that MVM has their releases on sale over xmas.

Thanks all for the insight, even if it did leave me more rather than less confused ;P

Admittedly looking at those spoilers, it makes me realise that a lot of what Zero spoils is actual for Heaven's Feel. So taking that into account, perhaps better to hold off on it. I didn't care at the time because I was recommended it and UBW was currently airing. Zero really does reveal a lot of what matters for Heaven's Feel but matters less for UBW.

Okay, I read through this conversation, then made the mistake of reading up on the series on wikipedia, and seriously, it's not confusing at all...

"Fate/Deen Night" refers to the 2006 "Fate/stay night" series by Studio Deen, correct?
I think I'll try the first couple episodes of that series, but if I'm not into it skip to first few episodes of UBW before writing the franchise off, and if I end up liking either enough I'll keep my fingers crossed that MVM has their releases on sale over xmas.

Thanks all for the insight, even if it did leave me more rather than less confused ;P

Yep, that is the original one. It's worth noting that it... takes liberties. It's not the most faithful of adaptations, but it started it all off. But yeah, if you can't get into it then I would still recommend trying UBW.
Though if you looked at the wiki... We better avoid explaining currently how the moon fits into this. That's a whole nother mess to explain.

I am more than happy to elaborate and answer any questions.

Fate/DEEN Night is indeed the original by studio Deen. This covers what is called the Saber route from the original Visual Novel

UBW is the route that proceeds this then finally Heaven's Feel. The original Visual Novel played out this way as each expanded on concepts introduced in the previous one.

Fate/Zero is a prequal series that also compounds and very much spoils some of the mystery as has been discussed. But as a caveat it is the most entertaining from a viewers perspective and can be seen as an entry point if you don't mind that.

Fate/Deen > UBW > HF trilogy > Zero
Doh! Only watched Zero as the good doctor said it might be needed when watching El-Melloi. Part 1 was a bit too wordy, but part 2 upped the action and was pretty good. Didn't get hooked enough to jump straight into the other parts.
Probably been long enough for me to forget stuff.
This conversation probably needs its own thread now.

Doh! Only watched Zero as the good doctor said it might be needed when watching El-Melloi. Part 1 was a bit too wordy, but part 2 upped the action and was pretty good. Didn't get hooked enough to jump straight into the other parts.
Probably been long enough for me to forget stuff.
This conversation probably needs its own thread now.
Indeed. We need a thread lol.

Well I'm a nasuverse geek so it's easy for me to talk about this stuff. I don't begrudge anyone starting from any part at all, but I make my recomendation for my own reasons. If anyone does have a question about the series or one of the later entries feel free to hit me up.

What are the odds do you think we will get a release of Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle? If they are very slim I'll probably just order the US release instead that I see is now up for pre-order.
The license is with Funi so I'd say pretty slim. It definitely has its fans but slice of life shows don't tend to sell well over here and it's not really in Funi UK's wheelhouse of popular shonen action titles. I'd say either import or pick up the manga.

Back