Your viewing journal

Art was pretty poor apart from some of the character designs. For some reason they went with cg for one character, but not the rest! Animation wasn't great either.
Did this character have a particularly complex design compared to the others? It's often the case that some characters will be CG to put less strain on the production. Big examples would be characters wearing armour like Berserker from Fate/Zero or Goblin Slayer. With so much detail CG is the best solution in the current state of the industry.

And yeah I've heard that series ran into big scheduling issues towards the end. Signs of an industry that definitely needs more anime than they can handle /s

Attack on Titan Junior High
Episodes 1 - 12

Latest title from my backlog, was in a AL mystery box from memory as I've not really watched any of the AoT stuff, but a nice little series.

Did this character have a particularly complex design compared to the others?
He was a big muscly guy, but not the only one. His hair was tightly braided though, don't know if that should be easier to animate compared to the flowing locks on the other guy or not. They stayed stiff and didn't move around naturally (I've seen enough footballers with similar hair to know what it should do at that length) which added to the weirdness.

NIGHT HEAD 2041 episode 12 Messiahs (Complete. A decent science fiction drama series though not one of the stronger ones I’ve seen.) 3/5

The Heike Story
episode 3 Standing firm.

Lupin III: Part III episodes 5-16

He was a big muscly guy, but not the only one. His hair was tightly braided though, don't know if that should be easier to animate compared to the flowing locks on the other guy or not. They stayed stiff and didn't move around naturally (I've seen enough footballers with similar hair to know what it should do at that length) which added to the weirdness.
Dunno then. Sounds like quite the interesting production for all the wrong reasons

Hokuto no Ken 2 - Episodes 18 - 23

Steel Jeeg - Episodes 43 - 46 [Final]

Now preparing for a review on the mecha podcast.

Getter Robo ARC - Episodes 12 & 13 [Final]

I've enjoyed ARC, the series had good pace and intensity with a thrilling final episode.

Arcadia Of My Youth (Blu-ray)

I've never watched any Captain Harlock anime but reading the excellent Leiji Matsumoto book by Helen McCarthy and Darren-Jon Ashmore earlier in the year I really wanted to get into Harlock. It's a fabulous film, pensive but with some incredibly set pieces, space opera at it's finest and it looks fantastic on Blu-ray.

GoShogun: The Time Etranger (Blu-ray)

I had the original Central Park Media disc back in the 00's and watched it a couple of times then. I knew it was based on a mecha show that I hadn't seen and thought it was OK. Now having watched the GoShogun TV series very recently watching The Time Etranger again was a very different experience. The movie is tonally very different to the TV series (it doesn't have any mecha in it) but with the context of the TV series the characters and their stories make much more sense now and I liked the film much, much more this time round.

Last edited:
Arcadia Of My Youth (Blu-ray)

I've never watched any Captain Harlock anime but reading the excellent Leiji Matsumoto book by Helen McCarthy and Darren-Jon Ashmore earlier in the year I really wanted to get into Harlock. It's a fabulous film, pensive but with some incredibly set pieces, space opera at it's finest and it looks fantastic on Blu-ray.

GoShogun: The Time Etranger (Blu-ray)

I had the original Central Park Media disc back in the 00's and watched it a couple of times then. I knew it was based on a mecha show that I hadn't seen and thought it was OK. Now having watched the GoShogun TV series very recently watching The Time Etranger again was a very different experience. The movie is tonally very different to the TV series (it doesn't have any mecha in it) but with the context of the TV series the characters and their stories make much more sense now and I liked the film much, much more this time round.

I picked up both of these titles on Blu-ray just a few months ago. I've not watched Arcadia of my Youth yet but I am a huge space opera fan so I can't wait to get into it, especially after your review. I have seen the Harlock 3D CGI movie and really enjoyed that. Goshogun I've seen streaming a few years ago and I thought it was really good. I knew it was related to the TV series, but I also knew I wouldn't be interested in the series at all because of the mecha. I liked Time Etranger so much because of the lack of any mecha in it!

The Idaten Deities Know Only Peace eps 8-11 (complete)
A bright colourful edge-fest. Some elements of the story was actually quite interesting and Miku is a deliciously evil character, but the season just sort of ends. Looked up the manga, seems the source material isn't there to continue at the moment anyway, must be busy with the other story the person responsible for it is writing... Interspecies Reviewers!!!
Art and animation were very good. Some pretty memorable character designs (the manga is illustrated by the person who does Dragon Maid).
7/10

D_Cide eps 11 & 12
In too deep.

The Aquatope on White Sand ep 13
Time skip.

Mini Dragon (Dragon Maid S minis) eps 1-13 + 3/8 specials
A series of short skits featuring characters from Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. All pretty good fun, but only a minute long. Favourite was ep 9 where Kanna played hairdresser and made Kobayashi-san some cute hairstyles.
7/10

Finished Yamada's First Time yesterday.
Enjoyed it, and the commentaries were appropriately filthy.
Now most of the way through Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid.
Is it just me that is angrily obsessed with the appallingly non-aerodynamic dragons? I'm just too pedantic sometimes. And when will anime get over its twin obsessions with big boobs and loli-girls? I do like Miss Kobayashi, who seems eminently sensible and unflappable amidst all the chaos.

Higurashi: When they Cry - Sotsu episode 15 Parting. (Complete. Though this had its moments I felt the series ended up delivering an underwhelming conclusion to the story arc.) 3/5

The Aquatope on White Sand
episode 13 Struggles.

Lupin III: Part III episodes 17-37

Last edited:
81x6p4TgO3S._RI_.jpg

Title: Sonny Boy
Progress: Episode 12
Watch Status: Completed
Rating: 4/10
Quick verdict: "What did I just watch?" Was there an actual story in this show? It started as nothing and ended as nothing. I'm so confused 😂

Last edited:
Hans Christian Andersen (1952, with Danny Kaye) - Songs are lovely and Kaye makes a lovely HCA but a bit uneven. Worth watching though (I picked it up cuz I loved Kaye's first performance of Inchworm on The Muppets) :) 7/10.
Strings (2004 puppet feature film, dubbed in English) - Outstanding film with beautiful artistry and sense of poetry :) 9/10.

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S eps 1-6
Some really funny moments and some sweet ones too. Looking back on what I said about the first season this one doesn't seem as creepy as I made that one out, that or I've become even more desensitised to it. I will say they went to lengths to point out Ilulu isn't an oppai loli despite her design, no no she's the same age as Tohru, but she looks like that because her magic isn't strong enough to reduce her "fire sacks"!

Tokyo Revengers eps 13-15
Back again.

Riding Bean
Fun little OVA. Very OTT but the car action is great.

Bakemonogatari rewatch
What a visually amazing show this is. I'd forgotten how well the snake fight is animated.

Nisemonogatari rewatch
It was interesting to note some changes in the dialogue from the books. For instance Yotsuki catchphrase is "I said with a posed look" here but in the book is translated as "he said with a dashing look"

Nekomonogatari Black rewatch
For a character comedy this show sure knows how to turn on the ultra violence.

Kizumonogatari rewatch
Stunning films. Seriously the way they blend nonsense humour with ott fan service with mega violence with art house pretentiousness is outstanding. The final 30mins of the 3rd film are astonishing even on a rewatch.

Let’s Make a Mug Too 2 episode 1 A nice return for the series.

Selection Project episode 1 An idol-themed outing for the new season.

31 Days of Halloween 2021! Day I: Dawn of the Dead (Cannes Cut) (Film)

Lupin III: Part III
episodes 38-50 (Complete. I liked the variety in storylines on offer here similarly to part II, though I wasn’t a big fan of some of the character designs across the series.) 3.5/5

Last edited:
Thursday.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Episode 1-33

Yesterday.

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord Ω (English Dub) Episode 10 (Complete)

World Witches Series: World Witches Take Off! (English Dub) Episode 8

Zombieland Saga Revenge (English Dub) Episode 8

The Ancient Magus' Bride - The Boy from the West and the Knight of the Blue Storm OVA Episode 1 Visitors.

The Aquatope on White Sand Episode 13 New environment struggles.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Episode 34-42

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S eps 7-12 (complete)
Not much to add to what I said about the first 6 episodes, except ep 10 was super kawaii (♡°ω°♡) with Kanna-chan's trip to New York in the first half and then doing her summer independent project with Kobayashi-san in the second half.
EDIT: Oh yeah, there were some interesting flashback moments for a few of the dragons.
Of course being KyoAni the art and animation were great.
9/10

Tokyo Revengers
eps 16-18
A bit of backstory giving a, very silly, reason why 2 of the founding members of the gang changed sides. Basically one accidentally killed the brother of the leader, whilst unwittingly robbing him! And then decided to blame the leader for it! The other who was present at the time decides to follow!

Last edited:
September 26th- My Hero Academia Season 5- episode 25(Complete)Another enjoyable season 8/10

Digimon Adventure(2020)-
episode 67(Complete)A truly super “Meh” series,mostly forgettable,boring “threats”and the characters felt flat. Insert music was good though and the Mimi episodes were the best.
In comparison to other Digimon series this is the one for me personally is the worst one yet 4/10.

Am curious to see what Ghost Game will be like,interested to see what they’ll do with the smaller cast.Hopefully will be better than 2020.

Remake Our Life!-episode 12(Complete) - 7/10 An enjoyable watch not a favourite but still good.

October 2nd:
The Idaten Deities Only Know Peace(Complete)
episodes 10+11 Very weird nice animation though. 6/10

Higurashi When They Cry SOTSU(Complete) -
episode 15 Disappointing felt rather underwhelming in comparison to GOU plus the ending bleh 6/10.

Re-Main(Complete)-
episodes 11+12 Found this oddly enjoyable 8/10

Uramichi-Oniisan(Complete)-
episode 13 final episode, Absolutely loved this series.8/10

MuteKing The Dancing Hero-
episode 1 intriguing,loved the OP.

Yashahime Season 2- episode 1 a bit of recap,am interested to see how this goes.

86 2nd Season- episode 1 Nice start to the second season.

Back