UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Might be relevant considering it's Gundam but Right Stuf/Nozomi announced Gundam Seed Destiny HD Remaster collection coming in Nov 9
Guess we know a likely Christmas release then.

Was assuming we'd see Victory Gundam before 2021 was up but maybe that's not possible?

Has anyone's copy of Eternity and the Auto Memory Doll shipped yet? It's still due out on the 9th as far as I know.
Not yet for me.

These AL sales and EBs have been very good for my wallet. Am tempted by the Samurai Flamenco set, but am not sure if one has to like sentai shows to appreciate it, in which case I'd pass.

Not yet for me.

These AL sales and EBs have been very good for my wallet. Am tempted by the Samurai Flamenco set, but am not sure if one has to like sentai shows to appreciate it, in which case I'd pass.

Speaking from my experience with the show, the only sentai shows I had watched was the english Power Rangers. And even then I don't think that was necessary for the experience baring the knowing of coloured rangers and any other obvious elements.
So when I watched Samurai Flamenco, I didn't really have any issues with it I felt. It was a rather enjoyable show. It's not one I'd say is my favourite by any means, but it wasn't a show I dropped within a few episodes.
What I'd recommend at least is try the first three episodes on some streaming service and see what you think. Various arcs will give slightly different feels to the show but if you can't enjoy the first few episodes, it's hard to say what you will think of it as a whole.

I know this has already shown up on the Eva thread, but Amazon have revealed their new dub cast for the Rebuild films, and they're mostly using the original ADV cast whenever possible. This was actually something of a surprise to me, as I suspected Netflix creating a new dub meant the original was in some sort of limbo due to Khara actively disavowing it (we know the executives weren't happy with the fan reaction to 3.0's premiere in the US). As someone quite partial to both dubs, particularly the latter, this gives me some measure of hope that the ADV dub will make it to the physical releases. Considering there's no way I'd purchase a ultimate/premium edition that somehow didn't manage to include the dub, I'm actually far more excited in seeing what the release includes now.

Does anyone know what the situation even was that caused Netflix to produce their own dub? Was it a vanity thing, or are there certain material or license issues behind the scenes?

I know this has already shown up on the Eva thread, but Amazon have revealed their new dub cast for the Rebuild films, and they're mostly using the original ADV cast whenever possible. This was actually something of a surprise to me, as I suspected Netflix creating a new dub meant the original was in some sort of limbo due to Khara actively disavowing it (we know the executives weren't happy with the fan reaction to 3.0's premiere in the US). As someone quite partial to both dubs, particularly the latter, this gives me some measure of hope that the ADV dub will make it to the physical releases. Considering there's no way I'd purchase a ultimate/premium edition that somehow didn't manage to include the dub, I'm actually far more excited in seeing what the release includes now.

Does anyone know what the situation even was that caused Netflix to produce their own dub? Was it a vanity thing, or are there certain material or license issues behind the scenes?
I read somwhere that Khara wanted it and it was out of Netflix's hands. This makes me optimistic that it'll have the ADV dub but hey its stuck in licensing hell or smth

With this situation it's very difficult to speculate about why this or that was done and the specifics as there's some details here but also a lot of assumptions (including my own) that may be very wrong.

What we do know is the Netflix English dub was commissioned but no one is quite sure if Netflix did so with their money or if the licensor paid for it. After that, auditions were held for at least the main characters and, to borrow the first of two quotes from one the VAs on it, Ray Chase (English Netflix/VSI voice of Gendo Ikari) said in response to what the casting process direction (ie were they told to emulate the previous VAs)

"They wanted whatever you (the actor) brought to it. I know the audition process was kinda weird for that because the previous VAs wanted to audition for their part too so we all just sent completely blind they had all of our auditions in and Gainax (note: this is perhaps an error on Ray's part to what the differences between Gainax and Khara are, or maybe not) just chose us on not knowing anyones name or anything like that, just a complete clean slate"

So that seems to paint a picture of wanting to produce a new cast without selecting/emulating from the previous VAs as a basis and yes this does seem odd based on the recent news. During recording, the involvement of the licensor seemed to suggest a level of control really that isn't common in anime dubbing as suggested in this other quote from Ray on the whether Japanese clients are nearly as involved with the production of an english dub of an anime as they seem to be with video games (contrasting with questions asked about his role as Noctis in FFXV and the recording for it)

"Evangelion was very, very full of Japanese influence like that one Gainax sent notes every week, we recorded some lines 30, 40 times just to get it right. They were very particular about pronunciations, translations, subtext and stuff like that. I've never seen anything like that"

Ray does also note that Aniplex of America do often have a representative of the company sit on recordings of dubs recorded in LA but it isn't the same process in comparison.

What we got from that all process, along with the thing with Dan Kanemitsu being the Translator, who is on these new Amazon dubs as well as "Project Translation, English ADR Script Translation Supervisor" (I also know theres some debate of aspects around his involvement too in the Netflix production), is what is out there now. It has it's fan like me who prefers it to the ADV dub of the series (the Funi dub of the Rebuild series is an improvement though and I also do like it) but obviously many fans, both long term and younger too, want continued access to the old ADV dub.

Where does that leave us with the Anime Limited release? Hopefully we will get access to both dubs but who can say. You could point to the involvement of the licensor with the Netflix dub (especially if the licensor owns the dub and Anime Limited/GKIDS don't need to pay Netflix's demand to get access to the dub) and say that the ADV dub might be banished. You could also point out that the other releases like in Italy where that doesn't have the Italian Netflix dub (whether it was cost or due to its quality is another question however) that maybe we won't get both.

Guess all we can do is wait and see for details.

Ray Chase interview used for source:

Mixed in with other questions about his career and roles, the first quote timestamp: 4:55 second quote timestamp: 15:41

Last edited:
Is there any need to include both dubs? It doesn't seem like the Netflix one has much of a following and it's already widely available. It would seem like an unnecessary (massive) expense to me

It does have some fans I think their choice was inspired to have a non binary person play shinji. So I am interested why they went back to the old cast especially how Amanda Winn Lee reacted last year I thought she was busy burning bridges at the time alas I was wrong.
If this was the perfect set for Evangelion it would have all dubs and all the subtitle tracks it won’t ofc I am now interested to see if it will have the ADV sub track or are we Stuck in Third children hell.

Agreed for me it always I hope we get two sub tracks like 3.33 had that was always my hope, my other hope is these “new” rebuilds get blu Ray releases especially 3.333 and 3.0 +1.01.

Is it really true that AL will never license Sound! Euphonium Season 2 and March Comes in like a Lion Season 2?
I wouldn't say it's true.

Both seasons of Sound! Euphonium outside US & Canada are with Crunchyroll so Anime Limited will have to go to them to acquire the UK & Ireland home video rights. They did lose Season 1 at one point in the early stages because of the Crunchyroll x Funimation partnership but were eventually able to get it back. I reckon they'll look into Season 2 more now that they seem to be getting along more with Crunchyroll from here on out (especially considering the product code for Big Order is different to the usual as it now has CR in its tag).

As for March comes in like a Lion Season 2, Andrew Partridge mentioned a while back that it's more of a passion project to acquire, which means they could get it but it wouldn't be a major priority at this point (it's also an Aniplex series with no other Blu-ray release available outside of the US volumes in the meantime). It does help that the series is dubbed but it did take a while for Season 1 to sell out which probably affected its chances.

Why I think they are dead is Liz and the Blue Bird made sense to license you could sell it on the director of ASV coming back and not even rely on its Sound connections and AL ignored even for SLA. The fact they skipped that movie which is sound euphonium and isn’t for me killed it because that film works better knowing sound but isn’t essential at all and they’ve could have sold it 100% on Yamada and it’s unlicensed 3 years later…..
March comes in like a lion I think is dead because discotek had the authors previous show Honey and clover and for discotek to have got that it can’t be that expensive and again AL hasn’t done anything. So if even AoA was a road block they’ve could shown an interest in the authors previous work and did not but oh well we got Big Order from Discotek instead.
If I didn’t have an A blu Ray player to be watch both of those Liz and Honey and Clover I would have missed out on two great titles.
I could be proven wrong but both like were 3? Years ago now. Interest will have wained especially in regards to March comes in a lion it was talked about a lot once then when AL sold it, it did well only on sale.

Last edited:
One thing that I want to double check on is how much of a difference does it make if an anime series was rated by the BBFC for Netflix versus rating it for the first time in general. Since Netflix has got the BBFC to rate a fair amount of titles like Darwin's Game, The Irregular at Magic High School, Kuroko's Basketball, Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn and Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans as examples, are the BBFC costs to sort out for home video cheaper if the show is already rated for streaming? Because if so, then perhaps if Aniplex added March Season 2 on Netflix it could help.

Agreed for me it always I hope we get two sub tracks like 3.33 had that was always my hope, my other hope is these “new” rebuilds get blu Ray releases especially 3.333 and 3.0 +1.01.
i think the only one we're missing is 3.333 isn't it out of the 3?
One thing that I want to double check on is how much of a difference does it make if an anime series was rated by the BBFC for Netflix versus rating it for the first time in general. Since Netflix has got the BBFC to rate a fair amount of titles like Darwin's Game, The Irregular at Magic High School, Kuroko's Basketball, Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn and Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans as examples, are the BBFC costs to sort out for home video cheaper if the show is already rated for streaming? Because if so, then perhaps if Aniplex added March Season 2 on Netflix it could help.

i was interested in seeing if this was possibility but the below probably has something put in place to stop it being abused as a loophole
The service is also low cost - around 60% cheaper than DVD and Blu-ray submissions

So can we assume that Evangelion 3.0+1.0 will have the same cast as these Amazon Prime re releases then for consistancy sake? I'd also love to see these get a home release from AL too and get matching packaging this time

So can we assume that Evangelion 3.0+1.0 will have the same cast as these Amazon Prime re releases then for consistancy sake? I'd also love to see these get a home release from AL too and get matching packaging this time
I would assume so. I'm surprised to hear that the first 3 films are been redubbed at all, the existing dubs were good so it seems kind of pointless and I'm now dissapointed that I won't be able to watch the entire series with that version of the dub.

Back