The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Take this with a healthy dose of 'I've never heard of this, is it legal'.
So I was finally playing around with the preinstalled apps on my smart TV and found one called 'Plex'.
Some may have heard of it but I hadn't. Basically it's an app where you create an account and it let's you upload your physical media online as a online backup.
BUT it also has a streaming section, this is where I get to the point, while searching through I found a few anime I haven't seen streaming anywhere else including:

Bubblegum Crash
Bubblegum Crisis
AD Police
Vampire Princess Miyu

And a few others that look like very old anime I've never heard of and may or may not actually be anime 🤷‍♂️
For anyone interested I'll leave a link to the site (mods if it IS illegal please delete. I don't think it is as it came preinstalled on my TV and they claim to be partnered with Warner, MGM and others but who knows!)
PleX isn't illegal. It's just software that streams files. Nothing illegal about that.

You could in theory put illegal content on it (just like anything) - like your ripped Blu ray (Ripping music and films illegal again after High Court overturns new law) on there. It being illegal to rip b lu rays is stupid though.

Mappa aren't disappointing with this one! Looks fantastic.

Not to be pessimistic but it's important to note this is a pre-animated trailer produced separate from the main production. Though it does share much of the staff who work on the series it isn't a true representation of what to expect. Boogiepop and Others, Attack on Titan The Final Season and Dororo all had pre-animated trailers so this is nothing new but just keep in mind it's not the best indicator of quality.

That said the staff list is pretty incredible with people like Flip Flappers director Kiyotaka Oshiyama handling demon designs, Black Clover director Tatsuya Yoshihara as action director and a few more big industry names so I've got no doubts it'll be good. Really hit gold with this team. Just a shame it had to be with MAPPA.

Aaargh, on the one hand, Mappa must have hellish work conditions, on the other Chainsaw Man looks pristine, holy hell.

If that's any indication of the overall animation quality, this will be an amazing ride. Very curious to see what the hype is about.

Aaargh, on the one hand, Mappa must have hellish work conditions, on the other Chainsaw Man looks pristine, holy hell.

If that's any indication of the overall animation quality, this will be an amazing ride. Very curious to see what the hype is about.
As I've pointed out before this trailer was produced separate to the series and isn't a true indicator of quality. Producing a trailer is a much simpler task than producing a TV series.

As I've pointed out before this trailer was produced separate to the series and isn't a true indicator of quality. Producing a trailer is a much simpler task than producing a TV series.

Yeah, but as you said, much of the staff is the same, so I'm very hopeful. I've seen some gif the action director did on Jujutsu Kaisen and I'm very impressed.

OST by the Ping Pong and Devilman Crybaby dude is icing on this seemingly delicious cake.

Yeah, but as you said, much of the staff is the same, so I'm very hopeful. I've seen some gif the action director did on Jujutsu Kaisen and I'm very impressed.

OST by the Ping Pong and Devilman Crybaby dude is icing on this seemingly delicious cake.
Fair enough. Staff does look amazing and I haven't heard of anything too bad regarding the schedule (by MAPPA's standards at least) so here's hoping it doesn't melt too badly.

And yeah Kensuke Ushio is one of my favourite composers. Instantly recognised his style from the trailer.

I'll admit that I never finished the newer Fruits Basket anime as I didn't really enjoy it much from what I saw of it and I'd read the entire manga so it wasn't a high priority to watch an adaptation that I wasn't entirely happy with - but if they're doing a new anime telling the story of Tohru's mum and dad I will likely watch it as that wasn't in the 23 volume original FB manga, at least not for the most part. Do we know if it's a series or a movie? :) Oops sorry I just noticed it says format not revealed XP

lol. “Hollywood live action Made in Abyss” is not something I ever imagined I would be typing as anything other than a joke (a tenner says it never even makes it as far as shooting). Who honestly thought this would be a good idea?

Hilarious a concept as it is, I have to be slightly concerned for the mainstream attention this will no doubt bring to the source material and the inevitable resulting moral hysteria.
i can see it now a daily mail headline saying pedo cartoon made real.

I loved The Animatrix, maybe I should check out some of the other anime short anthologies that were made like that Batman one and stuff :)
Yes, I was thinking The Animatrix too while I read that.

I can take or leave The Matrix but I enjoy The Animatrix. Likewise, I have no particular interest in Batman, but I enjoyed (and need to rewatch sometime) Batman Ninja. (I can't deny that it helps knowing that the latter is written by Kazuki Nakashima of Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill fame. 😋)

The list of studio names in that trailer is highly impressive — Trigger, Production I.G, Science Saru...

I'm not even a massive Star Wars fan or anything and yet I'm interested in this. Exciting indeed.

Yes, I was thinking The Animatrix too while I read that.

I can take or leave The Matrix but I enjoy The Animatrix. Likewise, I have no particular interest in Batman, but I enjoyed (and need to rewatch sometime) Batman Ninja. (I can't deny that it helps knowing that the latter is written by Kazuki Nakashima of Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill fame. 😋)

The list of studio names in that trailer is highly impressive — Trigger, Production I.G, Science Saru...

I'm not even a massive Star Wars fan or anything and yet I'm interested in this. Exciting indeed.

I remember liking the first Matrix, never saw the sequels tho :)

Back