UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Been waiting for that Love Live Sunshine movie so that's a definite get. Not so big on Gundam or Lupin so I'm relatively safe this time. Would rather a standard for the Lupin film.

Lupin the third the first for me. Skipping Seed (again) as AO Gundam isn't really my jam.

I guess they don't have enough to fill out this month this time around. After 6 months it's finally chilled out a bit.

They have had some rather big names in the past few months and some of them were packed so it's not surprising to have some quieter months.

Oh hell yeah the Sunshine movie! I didn't get a chance to watch this so I'm thrilled to be able to actually own it as well and complete the collection!

Being honest I'm quite surprised AL decided to focus on the rest of August 2021 for their latest post, but it does mean I can save more funds as it's only 2 films to get for their early bird this month (as I already own Gundam SEED).

I predicted Lupin III: The First to show up as early as August due to the recent theatrical release, but I'm looking forward to owning it. And while I have yet to start watching both seasons of Love Live! It's Joke Zura, getting the Love Live! Sunshine: Over the Rainbow film that wraps up the series is good news. Considering how the School Idol Project flopped for home video I'm quite impressed AL has managed to release this many Love Live titles already (and I presume they have Superstar otherwise the future of the franchise is ducked again).

A Summer sale next month sounds handy but it'll probably won't be much for me unless they included titles like Bartender and MEGALOBOX for cheaper prices. They do have some surprises in store but I'm expecting that to be mostly re-issues of existing titles and maybe 1 upcoming project.

Last edited:
On that topic I've been really enjoying Eureka Seven so far but I see online that the hi-evolution movies don't have that great of a reputation. Just thought I would ask what the verdict is around here?
Hi-Evolution 1 is basically a case study on the story arc where Renton leaves the Gecko during Episode 21 onwards. It's messy because it wasn't communicated well to the fans who were hoping for a proper original film. That said, the prequel footage that was included in the film is really cool, but overall it's average/medicore.

Hi-Evolution 2 is a very intriguing film because it puts Anemone in the spotlight as the main protagonist and it's got an interesting concept that I won't spoil. It's ending is also mind-blowing in a way that may change the shape of the franchise. Overall a pretty good 7/10 film and do recommend watching.

Hi-Evolution 1 is basically a case study on the story arc where Renton leaves the Gecko during Episode 21 onwards. It's messy because it wasn't communicated well to the fans who were hoping for a proper original film. That said, the prequel footage that was included in the film is really cool, but overall it's average/medicore.

Hi-Evolution 2 is a very intriguing film because it puts Anemone in the spotlight as the main protagonist and it's got an interesting concept that I won't spoil. It's ending is also mind-blowing in a way that may change the shape of the franchise. Overall a pretty good 7/10 film and do recommend watching.

I see, thanks. Sounds like they pulled a Code Geass/Made in Abyss/Madoka where they made a recap film which leads into an original film? So Hi-Evolution 1 can be safely skipped I guess?

On that topic I've been really enjoying Eureka Seven so far but I see online that the hi-evolution movies don't have that great of a reputation. Just thought I would ask what the verdict is around here?
Hi-evolution 1 is terrible. I’d recommend watching the first (good, relevant) 33 minutes and then ignoring the (pointless, incoherent) rest.

I reviewed it a couple of years ago, if you want a more detailed analysis of why it is so hopelessly ****:

Random Blu-ray Review: Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution 1 Collector’s Edition

I’ll probably do a follow-up review of part 2 at some point, now that I have it in my greasy mitts

No even the second film has recap footage. But they use it interestingly so it’s old footage telling a “new” story, Only for one “section ” each section uses different type of animation.CGI, normal and the old 4:3. I hate both of them for different the first one is just bad the second one proves they can’t leave the original show alone they need to fiddle with it constantly to fit this new version and AO was awful too so damaged their only good property which wasn’t a good look when it’s all I really liked. But the third one SHOULD SHOULD be good…
I was going to buy film 2 then AL raised the price to £25 and sorry it’s not worth that and I don’t want a storyboard of a film I really hate. Like it’s my second most disliked anime film after the first one they are both to me so bad.

No even the second film has recap footage. But they use it interestingly so it’s old footage telling a “new” story, Only for one “section ” each section uses different type of animation.CGI, normal and the old 4:3. I hate both of them for different the first one is just bad the second one proves they can’t leave the original show alone they need to fiddle with it constantly to fit this new version and AO was awful too so damaged their only good property which wasn’t a good look when it’s all I really liked. But the third one SHOULD SHOULD be good…
I was going to buy film 2 then AL raised the price to £25 and sorry it’s not worth that and I don’t want a storyboard of a film I really hate. Like it’s my second most disliked anime film after the first one they are both to me so bad.
Sounds like how I felt about the new Code Geass movie then. So you made a trilogy of recap movies just to retcon one side characters death who you never even used in the new film, and then brought the main character back to life in a very contrived way which completely contradicts the purpose of his original sacrifice. - Code Geass spoilers

Hi-evolution 1 is terrible. I’d recommend watching the first (good, relevant) 33 minutes and then ignoring the (pointless, incoherent) rest.

I reviewed it a couple of years ago, if you want a more detailed analysis of why it is so hopelessly ****:

Random Blu-ray Review: Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution 1 Collector’s Edition

I’ll probably do a follow-up review of part 2 at some point, now that I have it in my greasy mitts

Thanks for the review. I think I've been convinced to skip the first one

Sorry but I'm going to have to stomp in here. Hi Evo 1 is by far the best compilation movie ever made. Quite frankly it's the only compilation movie ever made that's worth watching. The only one.

It takes footage from the first film and recontexulises Rentons entire story from a new angle. The 30mins of new footage are great. The way the rest of the film jumps back and forth throughout Rentons story giving specific focus to a certain element of his life is brilliantly done.

I would recommend leaving some time between watching the series and watching the film but I hate compilation films and this one was awesome.

Also the second one is a weird and wonderful film. And another great addition to the franchise.

Back