UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

I need to check out Darling in the Franxx. I'll watch anything studio trigger
Ah-ha, you're the same as me, then, dude. 👍
Trigger are the only studio like that for me.

@RadFemHedonist:
I'll say this about FranXX as well: my girlfriend was similarly sceptical about the potential content and tone of the show, but she watched it with me this week and really enjoyed it. If you can get beyond the presentation of the piloting system for the robots as it's depicted in the first few episodes, then you'll start to see the series show its true colours.

Full disclosure: I only checked out FranXX in the first place to witness how anime had sunk to a trashy new low with this fanservicey-looking control interface, only to unexpectedly find that the whole thing is very, very clever and, as @Lordhippos already said, full of heart. The character drama is brilliant.

You can have your own arguments about the overall ethics of this, but if they had to sensationalise the depiction of the control system to get people to look at their show in the first place, then... well, it undeniably worked in my case.

In a time where so many new anime broadcast every season, it must be really hard to get viewers to give your show a try. Sometimes, I guess, you just have to pull out all the stops.

Last edited:
Personally think that both Darling and RE:Creators are worth watching through at least once each for most anime fans.

Don't like throwing spoilers out, so I'll just post OP1 for RE:Creators and say that it's got quite an eclectic cast of characters, which makes for an interesting watch by itself. You'll get a feel for the art quality from the OP as well.

Darling is toned down from the usual Trigger in raw craziness, but it's an attempt at being more relatable. The usual Trigger elements do shine through sometimes.

What I really appreciated about them both was that they have complete stories in one season. A lot of shows have no ending, or no second season. I really like it when I can get a proper ending.

Just want to clarify with DARLING in the FRANXX BD owners. Has everyone's copy arrived without the slipcover or am I the unlucky duckling? 🦆

View attachment 17166
I got the first season of psycho pass without the cover slip which made me quite sad as it looks super cool in the photos, but it wasn't meant to be...
I really enjoyed FranXX when I first watched it on Crunchyroll when it simulcast, and I enjoyed it even more when I watched it again on BD earlier this week. That was my third time, and I'm looking forward to watching it again already.

It's one of my very favourite anime.

This. ☝️
I honestly couldn't have summed it up any better.

I'll also echo your point about Manga's slipcovers: they're indeed only included with the first print run.

Perfect one line summary Lordhippos and I'll add to the appreciation along with Neil.T for Franxx. It certainly had a lot of potential and tried to explore a lot of interesting topics but unlike greats like Eva it did not excel in them. But, for me in the end it was about relationships and a love story and on those aspects I loved it and did not mind the ending at all. Also count it amongst my favourites but probably need another thread altogether for this! Good for for a simulcast methinks (what's happened to those by the way, any happening anytime?). Definitely worth a watch if you go in with low expectations for what it's worth RadFemHedonist.

Another one that hit the same sort of note for me was RE:Creators if you've seen it? Loved the OST as well! :)

I liked re:creators and also agree on the ost, Hiroyuki Sawano, right? Great opening song in the first cour (even my daughter sings along to it heh). Anime wasn't perfect but I really enjoyed the use of creators working with their fictional characters from a number of genre, that I thought was fantastic! Worth a watch Neil.T on Amazon prime currently.

I got the first season of psycho pass without the cover slip which made me quite sad as it looks super cool in the photos, but it wasn't meant to be...

Perfect one line summary Lordhippos and I'll add to the appreciation along with Neil.T for Franxx. It certainly had a lot of potential and tried to explore a lot of interesting topics but unlike greats like Eva it did not excel in them. But, for me in the end it was about relationships and a love story and on those aspects I loved it and did not mind the ending at all. Also count it amongst my favourites but probably need another thread altogether for this! Good for for a simulcast methinks (what's happened to those by the way, any happening anytime?). Definitely worth a watch if you go in with low expectations for what it's worth RadFemHedonist.

I liked re:creators and also agree on the ost, Hiroyuki Sawano, right? Great opening song in the first cour (even my daughter sings along to it heh). Anime wasn't perfect but I really enjoyed the use of creators working with their fictional characters from a number of genre, that I thought was fantastic! Worth a watch Neil.T on Amazon prime currently.

Yeah re:creators not perfect, but summing it all up I reckon 8/10 taking whole season into account from me.

I watched Eva 2-3 months before Darling and I'd argue Eva had a lot more issues, it made sense only if you read online about certain aspects, the actual series (especially near the end) totally suffered from lack of explanation. I enjoyed Eva as a first time viewer on balance, but it had a lot of narrative problems.

I'd argue Eva had a lot more issues
Unfortunately I can't be objective about Eva at all but would also add that after first watch years ago, I was confused by it, especially by End of Evangelion which wrecked me. But kept going back to watch it and my love for it has clearly grown exponentially heh. So maybe if you gave it another watch...... Who knows, it may grow on you too heh.

Ultimately enjoyed my watch of eva but I think a lot of fans had slightly rose tinted glasses with it.

First half throwing you into it was fantastic, 2nd half went off the rails a bit and required extra curricular reading to understand. EoE kind of fixed the ending a bit.

Don't regret watching it, but it was definitely a flawed experience, product of it's time partially to blame, the budget running out probably also partially to blame.

Watching it objectively these days having never seen it before I think a lot of people would agree, it's got some issues.

so Dragon Ball Super: Complete Series both Normal and CE was delisted from the anime online site ?

its not listed in the invoice for witch i bought it ........

Now available to pre-order on Amazon from Manga's Q2 line-up:
  • Attack on Titan: Season 3 [Blu-ray]
  • Azur Lane: Complete Series [Blu-ray]
  • BOFURI: I Don’t Want to Get Hurt, So I’ll Max Out My Defence: Season 1 (Limited Edition) [Blu-ray]
  • BOFURI: I Don’t Want to Get Hurt, So I’ll Max Out My Defence: Season 1 (Standard Edition) [Blu-ray]
  • Cannon Busters: Complete Series (Limited Edition) [Blu-ray & DVD]
  • Cannon Busters: Complete Series (Standard Edition) [Blu-ray]
  • CLANNAD & CLANNAD After Story (Limited Edition) [Blu-ray]
  • CLANNAD & CLANNAD After Story (Standard Edition) [Blu-ray]
  • Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Amazon Exclusive Steelbook) [Blu-ray]
  • Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Standard Edition) [Blu-ray]
  • Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Amazon Exclusive Steelbook) [Blu-ray]
  • Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Standard Edition) [Blu-ray]
  • Hunter x Hunter: Set 4 [Blu-ray]
  • Hunter x Hunter: Set 5 [Blu-ray]
  • No Guns Life: Season 2 [Blu-ray]
  • Plunderer: Part 1 (Limited Edition) [Blu-ray & DVD]
  • Plunderer: Part 1 (Standard Edition) [Blu-ray]
[Disclaimer: Links are affiliated + International Shipping Restrictions May Apply]

Does that mean they will need to get a new batch of disks as well? As the incorrect BBFC logo will be printed on the disks

It would be terrible if this is Manga's fault rather than the manufacturers and ends up costing them lots of money 😈😈😈

Back