UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Wolf's Rain EU arrived today sadly the poster weren't in the tube properly so the corner of the top poster was ripped of and the second one was dented which saved the inner most poster from damage 😞 hopefully get a response and something sorted out soon

AL have uploaded a trailer for Millennium Actress - in 4K!

Thanks again for releasing it on UHD, I put my pre-order in yesterday on the hour. There's been some griping re: SDR, but personally I think you should be given a pat on the back for choosing to release it on the format despite this - it was a less obvious and arguably riskier move than it would have been if HDR were an option - and it's a bit narrow-minded to insist on HDR when the alternative would have been 1080p SDR anyway.

I'm hoping that you continue releasing on the format in 2021 - the Mobile Suit Gundam Trilogy and Char's Counterattack would make ideal upgrades, and Toei have been restoring their early animated films in 4K most notably Hakujaden and The Little Prince and the Eight-Headed Dragon (I'd also be more than happy with Blu-Ray releases of these)...

AL have uploaded a trailer for Millennium Actress - in 4K!

Thanks again for releasing it on UHD, I put my pre-order in yesterday on the hour. There's been some griping re: SDR, but personally I think you should be given a pat on the back for choosing to release it on the format despite this - it was a less obvious and arguably riskier move than it would have been if HDR were an option - and it's a bit narrow-minded to insist on HDR when the alternative would have been 1080p SDR anyway.

I'm hoping that you continue releasing on the format in 2021 - the Mobile Suit Gundam Trilogy and Char's Counterattack would make ideal upgrades, and Toei have been restoring their early animated films in 4K most notably Hakujaden and The Little Prince and the Eight-Headed Dragon (I'd also be more than happy with Blu-Ray releases of these)...
Honestly considering Anime Limited is the first distributor in the world to release Millennium Actress on the 4K Ultra HD format, the lack of HDR I would say can be forgiven especially if its inclusion doesn't make sense with the 4K restored transfer. Watching that 4K trailer Anime Limited released on YouTube I don't think the film would benefit as much with the HDR compared to Akira.

With Your Name being next there are a few candidates that I would like Anime Limited to also try and offer in 4K if possible, one of them is Belladonna of Sadness which was also restored in 4K. Violet Evergarden the Movie is getting Dolby Vision in Japan so I suspect that film will also be receiving a 4K release not far off in the future.

Gundam, especially the 0079 Movie Trilogy, would also be a cool addition but that would probably depend on Sunrise willingness to allow the format outside Japan. Since there isn't that many to choose from, I guess rescuing Space Adventure Cobra the Movie is an option since the BBFC side is sorted (and if Studio Canal drops the license to Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro that would be handy, since Anime Ltd was able to get Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust from them).

And if you want to be ridiculously insane - Cardcaptor Sakura series in 4K UHD lol

I do doubt we will get CCA or MGST till Nozomi start doing UHD. And stuff like After War took like 2.5 years just for the BD after JP release

True, but they're probably the most viable titles in AL's back catalog.

Belladonna of Sadness was mentioned by Grav, but I'm not convinced it's commercially viable for an upgrade. Same would go for Momotaro's Sacred Sailors - though I'm not convinced that would get any benefit from the format anyway, despite its 4K restoration.

I suspect that Studio Canal will keep Castle of Cagliostro due to the Miyazaki brand. The Toei films that I mentioned would be ideal, as they've never been available on DVD/Blu-Ray until now either.

True, but they're probably the most viable titles in AL's back catalog.

Belladonna of Sadness was mentioned by Grav, but I'm not convinced it's commercially viable for an upgrade. Same would go for Momotaro's Sacred Sailors - though I'm not convinced that would get any benefit from the format anyway, despite its 4K restoration.

I suspect that Studio Canal will keep Castle of Cagliostro due to the Miyazaki brand. The Toei films that I mentioned would be ideal, as they've never been available on DVD/Blu-Ray until now either.
I thought Momotaro was restored in 2K?

Toei films would be an interesting one to explore, especially if they want to appeal to the older demographic of film fans who want to own historic or unique animated titles.

I thought Momotaro was restored in 2K?

Toei films would be an interesting one to explore, especially if they want to appeal to the older demographic of film fans who want to own historic or unique animated titles.

Upon checking, you are correct. They did a 2K restoration of a 4K scan of the internegative.

I think Hakujaden (first colour anime) and The Little Prince and the Eight Headed Dragon (Wind Waker / Tartakovsky influence, as well as being genuinely brilliant rather than just being of historical value) would do fairly well; ideally there could be box sets / volumed releases that bundle together the restorations as they're done, but I'm more of a realist than an idealist nowadays!

I think with Millnnium Actress, its not a problem with the lack of HDR (I mean, I would prefer it but not a deal breaker) so long as the Master is solid and the Bitrate (and of course encoding too) isn't mediocre (like Dog Soldiers 4K). Other films I have seen have been stronger cases for HDR to included for whatever reason (Color Out Of Space did not have HDR and that was screaming for it but wasn't to be, Looked fine otherwise though!).

I suppose you could watch it on Screen Anime, but I presume the bitrate there is pretty typical 4-9Mbps range? So, tradeoffs there too.

Last edited:
wish i had seen this post before, was going to order it with something else last night so i could use the 10% voucher but it doesn't matter now that the sale is over
The banner on their site say's the sale prices will remain until 5pm on the 18th. This is great news for me as that is my payday lol

Back