The PC Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Captaaainuniverse

Time-Traveller
For more the more technically minded on here

20200911_220205.jpg

That is a DC assasin III "persuaded" to fit in a phantom 410 case, i think I've just run out of room height wise...

What do you think? Time for something bigger (the case) or low clearance RAM?

For more the more technically minded on here

View attachment 14875

That is a DC assasin III "persuaded" to fit in a phantom 410 case, i think I've just run out of room height wise...

What do you think? Time for something bigger (the case) or low clearance RAM?

I take it, its the height in the case that is the problem, or is it height of the heatsink and you can't fit the side panel back on?

I would probably be thinkning larger case, its gonna give you better air flow as well (or I would think).
Some Heatsink do seat in multiple directions although I don't think that is gonna help in this case. But you might be able to attach the fan on the right heatsink to the left side and free up some space for the RAM slot, assuming that where they are on the MB (But that often where the ATX 4 pins often ends up being and they can be annoying (hard to get you hand between) to get in and out on some boards), but i don't see a cable ruinnng to the top left so you might be good.

But a case change won't solve the RAM not fitting in if the heat sink physically take up too much space for the RAM to fit.

I take it, its the heatsink height in the case that is the problem, or is it height of the heatsink and you can't fit the side panel back on?

I would probably be thinkning larger case, its gonna give you better air flow as well (or I would think).
Some Heatsink do seat in multiple directions although I don't think that is gonna help in this case. But you might be able to attach the fan on the right heatsink to the left side and free up some space for the RAM slot, assuming that where they are on the MB (But that often where the ATX 4 pins often ends up being and they can be annoying (hard to get you hand between) to get in and out on some boards), but i don't see a cable ruinnng to the top left so you might be good.

But a case change won't solve the RAM not fitting in if the heat sink physically take up too much space for the RAM to fit.
Its the height issue, one fan on the heatsink is up nearly as tall as the RAM is by itself, and that is right under it. It would just about fit if say, the RAM was about 1mm or a little more shorter

Switching the fan might be a good idea, it only clips on.

I'm just thinking the assasin is a bit big for a mid tower...

EDIT: BIOs doesn't like a single fan, but windows boots the same. The rear sheild for the MoBo shoves the second fan about as high as the RAM does. Shorter RAM would definitely fix it I think

Last edited:
Its the height issue, one fan on the heatsink is up nearly as tall as the RAM is by itself, and that is right under it. It would just about fit if say, the RAM was about 1mm or a little more shorter

EDIT: BIOs doesn't like a single fan, but windows boots the same. The rear sheild for the MoBo shoves the second fan about as high as the RAM does. Shorter RAM would definitely fix it I think

Well worth a try but yeah, sounds like low clearance/ shorter RAM is the the only real solution to that one, best of luck with sorting it out.

Get full sized tower for better air flow.

I am looking for a laptop & monitor desk mount arm stand, but for hefty laptops. All I can find online are relatively weak ones for small laptops up to 15.6" and relatively low weight, such as this one such as this one.

My laptop has a 17.3" screen and weighs almost 5kg and so far none of them appear to be sufficient. Have you seen any ones for larger laptops?

I'm thinking it's high time I replaced my 10 year old PC case, while I'm finishing off Gurren Lagann, anyone know if there are any stylish full ATX PC cases that take 200mm input and exhaust fans and have space for an optical drive?

This is a thing of absolute beauty, but it seems beauty these days is reserved for people who don't want optical drives. Also after reading reviews I'm none too impressed with the idea of fans being behind solid panes of GLASS. Nice airflow decision, MSI. My current case has all the filters removed so those fans can do their primary job of moving air properly, and I love 200mm fans because they do this job best and quietest.

I'm thinking it's high time I replaced my 10 year old PC case, while I'm finishing off Gurren Lagann, anyone know if there are any stylish full ATX PC cases that take 200mm input and exhaust fans and have space for an optical drive?

This is a thing of absolute beauty, but it seems beauty these days is reserved for people who don't want optical drives. Also after reading reviews I'm none too impressed with the idea of fans being behind solid panes of GLASS. Nice airflow decision, MSI. My current case has all the filters removed so those fans can do their primary job of moving air properly, and I love 200mm fans because they do this job best and quietest.
This is the case I have.

This is the case I have.
Looks good from an airflow and practicality mindset, but white isn't really very me. I really do love the sharp monolithic look of all the MSI Sekirei series (or whatever they're called) but I'd only have to ruin the look of them by connecting an external 5.25 enclosure. There's this I suppose, but it's a bit generic looking.

So, I'm slowly Marie Kondoing my flat and my stuff back home too and I've got lots of mangas and other things that could do with going to a good home, most of mine are well-kept bar some second hand ones and I was debating selling them. Where do you guys sell your anime and manga? Is there a thread within this forum or are places like Ebay any good? I could do with the extra cash! My rent's increased and BG moved me up a tariff....so I'm trying to now kill two birds with one stone and rehome things but make a little bit of money too.

There's an Anime & Manga Marketplace section on this forum that people use to sell things, I personally usually just stick things on eBay but due to their payment system changes I may start a thread in said section at some point.

Not a question, but I don't see a standard PC discussion thread (is there one?), so here we are. I just purchased two Seagate Barracuda 8TB hard drives for my home PC, to replace two of the four internal 3.5" drives I have in the system now. Currently, I have two 1TB drives and two 2 TB drives inside the system. My boot drive is one of the 1TB drives, so probably the slowest of the bunch; I would like to eventually upgrade that one to an SSD drive to speed things up a bit. For now, I'll replace the other 1TB and one of the 2TB with the two new 8TB drives, so that will give me a total of 19TB of internal storage.

I wanted to purchase 3 10TB NAS drives and setup a raid set in a separate storage unit, but those drives start at about $350 each, a little too salty for me right now. In the mean time, I do have an external 3TB Seagate 2.5" USB drive and an external 8 TB USB WD Easystore Drive. which I basically use as backup storage, with scheduled Robocopy commands backing up my most important data folders to them. So I'll have a total of 30TB of online hard drive space available - that should last me a while.!

I got the 5400 rpm Barracuda drives for $199 each, and they'll be arriving by the end of next week. Should give me a good project to work on while I am home recovering from my cataract surgeries at the beginning of June, lol.

Last edited:
Not a question, but I don't see a standard PC discussion thread (is there one?), so here we are. I just purchased two Seagate Barracuda 8TB hard drives for my home PC, to replace two of the four internal 3.5" drives I have in the system now. Currently, I have two 1TB drives and two 2 TB drives inside the system. My boot drive is one of the 1TB drives, so probably the slowest of the bunch; I would like to eventually upgrade that one to an SSD drive to speed things up a bit. For now, I'll replace the other 1TB and one of the 2TB with the two new 8TB drives, so that will give me a total of 19TB of internal storage.

I wanted to purchase 3 10TB NAS drives and setup a raid set in a separate storage unit, but those drives start at about $350 each, a little too salty for me right now. In the mean time, I do have an external 3TB Seagate 2.5" USB drive and an external 8 TB USB WD Easystore Drive. which I basically use as backup storage, with scheduled Robocopy commands backing up my most important data folders to them. So I'll have a total of 30TB of online hard drive space available - that should last me a while.!

I got the 5400 rpm Barracuda drives for $199 each, and they'll be arriving by the end of next week. Should give me a good project to work on while I am home recovering from my cataract surgeries at the beginning of June, lol.
Looks like nvidia are ripping off consumers again 1000 200 for a video card and if it was pro video card I'd understand the price but it a card aimed at gaming.

I actually went ahead and purchased a 1TB SSD drive for my main PC as well, just a day after I ordered my two 8TB drives, since I saw they were only $100. I picked up a Samsung 1 TB 870 EVO SSD plus a 3.5" mounting adapter set , to replace an antiquated mechanical 1 TB Seagate hard drive I'm using for my OS boot drive right now. The SSD arrived today, and the two 8TB drives are arriving on Monday.

I noticed that nvidia card prices seemed to be way up there in price recently; I'm just using an NVidia GTX 1050 Ti card in my main PC. I don't do any gaming on my computer anymore, so that card is plenty fast enough for my needs. Mainly, just 1080p video on dual screens, such as when I watch anime reaction videos on YouTube and sync up the anime itself on the other screen.

Last edited:
Back