The PC Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Captaaainuniverse

Time-Traveller
For more the more technically minded on here

20200911_220205.jpg

That is a DC assasin III "persuaded" to fit in a phantom 410 case, i think I've just run out of room height wise...

What do you think? Time for something bigger (the case) or low clearance RAM?

SkwigglesWorth

Brigade Leader
For more the more technically minded on here

View attachment 14875

That is a DC assasin III "persuaded" to fit in a phantom 410 case, i think I've just run out of room height wise...

What do you think? Time for something bigger (the case) or low clearance RAM?

I take it, its the height in the case that is the problem, or is it height of the heatsink and you can't fit the side panel back on?

I would probably be thinkning larger case, its gonna give you better air flow as well (or I would think).
Some Heatsink do seat in multiple directions although I don't think that is gonna help in this case. But you might be able to attach the fan on the right heatsink to the left side and free up some space for the RAM slot, assuming that where they are on the MB (But that often where the ATX 4 pins often ends up being and they can be annoying (hard to get you hand between) to get in and out on some boards), but i don't see a cable ruinnng to the top left so you might be good.

But a case change won't solve the RAM not fitting in if the heat sink physically take up too much space for the RAM to fit.

Captaaainuniverse

Time-Traveller
I take it, its the heatsink height in the case that is the problem, or is it height of the heatsink and you can't fit the side panel back on?

I would probably be thinkning larger case, its gonna give you better air flow as well (or I would think).
Some Heatsink do seat in multiple directions although I don't think that is gonna help in this case. But you might be able to attach the fan on the right heatsink to the left side and free up some space for the RAM slot, assuming that where they are on the MB (But that often where the ATX 4 pins often ends up being and they can be annoying (hard to get you hand between) to get in and out on some boards), but i don't see a cable ruinnng to the top left so you might be good.

But a case change won't solve the RAM not fitting in if the heat sink physically take up too much space for the RAM to fit.
Its the height issue, one fan on the heatsink is up nearly as tall as the RAM is by itself, and that is right under it. It would just about fit if say, the RAM was about 1mm or a little more shorter

Switching the fan might be a good idea, it only clips on.

I'm just thinking the assasin is a bit big for a mid tower...

EDIT: BIOs doesn't like a single fan, but windows boots the same. The rear sheild for the MoBo shoves the second fan about as high as the RAM does. Shorter RAM would definitely fix it I think

Last edited:

SkwigglesWorth

Brigade Leader
Its the height issue, one fan on the heatsink is up nearly as tall as the RAM is by itself, and that is right under it. It would just about fit if say, the RAM was about 1mm or a little more shorter

EDIT: BIOs doesn't like a single fan, but windows boots the same. The rear sheild for the MoBo shoves the second fan about as high as the RAM does. Shorter RAM would definitely fix it I think

Well worth a try but yeah, sounds like low clearance/ shorter RAM is the the only real solution to that one, best of luck with sorting it out.

Anime1977

Adventurer

Get full sized tower for better air flow.