Crunchyroll Announces New Tiers, Chaos Ensues

NormanicGrav

Quintessential Grav
AUKN Staff
Figured I'll make a separate thread about this, but basically Crunchyroll announced some tweaks to their premium tiers and it's been receiving some mixed results.

Free
Crunchyroll will continue to be available for free with ad-supported streaming access. New simulcast episodes will be available for free users one week after the initial premiere.

Those who sign up for a Premium membership can now choose from different tiers, including:

Fan
Enjoy an ad-free experience, with full access to Crunchyroll's extensive anime library along with simulcast series that premiere day and date with Japan. You'll also be able to access Crunchyroll's library of digital manga.

Mega Fan
In addition to all the above perks—ad-free viewing, full access to library and simulcast shows, and access to digital manga—the Mega Fan tier introduces offline viewing and access to four concurrent streams.

Annual Mega Fan
Sign up for a full year of the Mega Fan tier and you'll get all of the above at a 16% discount on Crunchyroll Premium, billed annually. Of course, you'll still be able to get the Fan tier on a discounted annual basis as well!

Already a Premium member and want to learn more? Head here for additional information about available options. If you don't have a current Premium membership, you can explore the new tiers further and sign up via the Crunchyroll welcome page.

If you're all signed up and don't see the new features yet, hang tight! Updates will be rolling out to the Crunchyroll Android and iOS apps soon, and all new benefits should be available to fans around the globe in early September.

While you get offline viewing, it's locked under a paywall. I figured I'll check the UK prices as well and somehow it's changed from what I remember.

EgMhTxvXoAEdM-d

Since when was an entire year's membership worth £79.99? I thought it was supposed to be £64.99 after they upped it from £39.99?​

Since when was an entire year's membership worth £79.99? I thought it was supposed to be £64.99 after they upped it from £39.99?
Since today. They seem to have sneakily replaced the 12 month Fan tier sub with the more expensive Mega Fan Tier. Doesn't seem to affect current annual Fan tier subscribers though.

An Irish 12 month sub at the Mega Fan tier is €64.99, the old Fan tier one was €39.99.

Still better to use a VPN and get billed in Euro than Sterling.

I find it interesting they decided to raise their price even higher than their competitors if I had a choice I would unsub from them, they don’t have BD versions unlike HIDIVE, FUNi and their manga service I can’t even access anymore Cos the app broke and my computer doesn’t want to load the Flash web player.

I find it interesting they decided to raise their price even higher than their competitors if I had a choice I would unsub from them, they don’t have BD versions unlike HIDIVE, FUNi and their manga service I can’t even access anymore Cos the app broke and my computer doesn’t want to load the Flash web player.
Delete the app and reinstall usually works. The app is a horrible PoS.

Mad that they are still using Flash for the manga reader as most browsers no longer support it. They did trial a html5 viewer and then never implemented it as usual.

I hate their new iOS app it’s so clunky to navigate on a phone. You can tell it’s made for iPads (and takes ages to log me back in the old one remembered)

According to Miles on the comments section of the International version of the article. The annual subscription for the Fan tier is "still available".
The annual plan for the "Fan" tier will continue to be available at a discount as well.
If that is the case, then they should have promoted it on the options list, as some folks prefer to pay yearly than monthly. Then again Amazon did the same where you had to pay a monthy sub before upgrading to yearly sub for Prime.

Back