UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

Boruto is weird. The manga came first and is the main plot that it follows... but the anime is most original content than manga. Like it has to spend so long making up events in between major ones.
Doesn't help that power scaling is weird in it. How many times has Sasuke run out of chakra? That's one of the more common events with him to stop him solving everything by himself that Boruto might face.

BBFC is why we dont have it or sailor moon.
HxH finished 6 years ago so is now old and the dub was years late its not a safe bet due to anime's obsession with "New" stuff
And 6 sets you've got to maintain sales and how Viz did initially cock hxh up by doing 13 ep sets then changing.

Last edited:
BBFC is why we dont have it or sailor moon.
HxH finished 6 years ago so is now old and the dub was years late its not a safe bet due to anime's obsession with "New" stuff
And 6 sets you've got to maintain sales and how Viz did initially cock hxh up by doing 13 ep sets then changing.
What are the problems regarding the BBFC? GoodSmile are releasing Nendoroids of HxH this year, which are sold out, so the brand is still highly popular. Now that DB Super's release has finished, that's a gap it could replace in my eyes. Maybe im being a tad optimistic though?

What are the problems regarding the BBFC? GoodSmile are releasing Nendoroids of HxH this year, which are sold out, so the brand is still highly popular. Now that DB Super's release has finished, that's a gap it could replace in my eyes. Maybe im being a tad optimistic though?
BBFC have high costs for an episode of anime. It's going to cost like £24653.03 I believe to tackle all 148 episodes of Hunter x Hunter. I reckon it will do fine if the fans support it. There's that, plus the Blu-ray authoring, print run, and packaging to deal with.

Dragon ball is also vastly more popular than HXH non anime fans talk about Dragon Ball I haven’t heard many talk about HXH I do think Viz putting the dub on US TV and not streaming anywhere here killed it’s longevity here

BBFC have high costs for an episode of anime. It's going to cost like £24653.03 I believe to tackle all 148 episodes of Hunter x Hunter. I reckon it will do fine if the fans support it. There's that, plus the Blu-ray authoring, print run, and packaging to deal with.
Yeah that puts it into context. It's a lot more complex of a release that i may think. I dont know what goes into licensing a BD release here, but I do hope we get it eventually.
Dragon ball is also vastly more popular than HXH non anime fans talk about Dragon Ball I haven’t heard many talk about HXH I do think Viz putting the dub on US TV and not streaming anywhere here killed it’s longevity here
That's a good point. No Dub being available anywhere here does kill it's casual fan base. If it wasn't for Dragon Balls existing popularity, Super would have suffered the same fate as it took years for a dub to be shown on TV. If there was no BD release in that time, Super would probably have been dead too.

There's a reason non anime fans watch DB, it's on TV, HXH isn't and probably will never be, so no outlay to watch, even in the days long since gone, when Sailor moon was on ITV, it still nearly bankrupted MVM when they release the DiC dub version, Yu Yu Hakousho is similar in that in got pulled before it finish the first season, when MVM were distro for Funi and it failed to get on TV,
The UK has a bad record with long running shows, the only successes have been , DBZ (I feel ill, I hate that series) Naruto (etc) Bleach and One piece. 3 of which have been on TV, One piece is the oddity, in being the only long running show to sell enough to warrant continued release (yes I know Fairy tail has been released, it's been a mixed up and messy release)

The thing with long running shows is that people will only invest if the sets are affordable and put out at a decent rate.
Black Clover seems to be doing OK over here for example. You can pick the sets up for less than £20 each.
Then you have a Season One set out for around £35 for 51 eps, which is superb value for a relatively new show.

The thing with long running shows is that people will only invest if the sets are affordable and put out at a decent rate.
Black Clover seems to be doing OK over here for example. You can pick the sets up for less than £20 each.
Then you have a Season One set out for around £35 for 51 eps, which is superb value for a relatively new show.
51 eps on 10 discs for £35 is insane value. I'll be getting that for sure. Their model of releasing them every month for ~£20 each along with some extras is great.

I think if Hunter x Hunter was put out like how Black Clover is, it would be hard for it not to be succesful, as it's a bloody amazing show.

With the Funi cryptic tweet, hopefully they bring the dub to stream over here to get some awareness and appetite from the casual crowd, then can release it on Blu-Ray as a much safer bet. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

Boruto is weird. The manga came first and is the main plot that it follows... but the anime is most original content than manga. Like it has to spend so long making up events in between major ones.
Doesn't help that power scaling is weird in it. How many times has Sasuke run out of chakra? That's one of the more common events with him to stop him solving everything by himself that Boruto might face.
The anime is about as canon as the manga. They are releasing the anime only content as LN in JP and the manga refers to events of such anime only content. (Like the field trip to the Mist country.)

Pretty much.
The anime is about as canon as the manga. They are releasing the anime only content as LN in JP and the manga refers to events of such anime only content. (Like the field trip to the Mist country.)

It's why it's a bit weird in that way. You can have manga adaptions of original anime and anime adaptions of original manga. It's odd though for there to be such a long running show as this equal companion to the manga. I can see why it exists. Naruto was a big cash cow, and the Boruto movie must have done well enough to give this a shot and then it did decently too so they kept it going. But it's still weird compared to a lot of other stuff.
Maybe it's just me on that but I could never really get into it properly. I'd pop back in at points, see what's going on for particular moments involving Naruto or Sasuke, but it just never ticked the right boxes beyond that.

Maybe it's just me on that but I could never really get into it properly. I'd pop back in at points, see what's going on for particular moments involving Naruto or Sasuke, but it just never ticked the right boxes beyond that.
I'm the same.
Literally watched Naruto since the beginning when fansubs was the only option back in the day, all the way until the end of Shippuden. Naturally gave Boruto a chance, but I just felt like they went backwards and focused too much on chasing a new audience rather than appease to older fans.
I check the odd fight out on Youtube, since they have some nicely animated fights now and then, but I just find the actual show uninteresting compared to the Naruto series.

I'm the same.
Literally watched Naruto since the beginning when fansubs was the only option back in the day, all the way until the end of Shippuden. Naturally gave Boruto a chance, but I just felt like they went backwards and focused too much on chasing a new audience rather than appease to older fans.
I check the odd fight out on Youtube, since they have some nicely animated fights now and then, but I just find the actual show uninteresting compared to the Naruto series.

It's why they have a pretty hard problem too. The series is in Naruto's shadow. There's no way around that, the series was massive and the new series is taking place still in Naruto's life.
And that raises issues at times. When you consider how powerful everyone became at the end, because that's standard in shounen, using a new cast can be tricky because you need to allow them opportunities to grow, yet at the same time you need solid reasons for why people like Naruto can't solve these issues easily.

A decent example of being able to avoid this would probably be The Legend of Korra. There is far less to worry about for the previous series characters needing excuses to not solve issues because it's set so long after that they are all elderly and retired. Doesn't work as well in Boruto when Naruto and Sasuke are still pretty much in their primes.

I'm might be rambling on a bit too much with this though, and moving away from this thread's purpose.

And that raises issues at times. When you consider how powerful everyone became at the end, because that's standard in shounen, using a new cast can be tricky because you need to allow them opportunities to grow, yet at the same time you need solid reasons for why people like Naruto can't solve these issues easily.
And in a number of arcs he winds up going to solve the issue in the end after all. Which is one thing I find most refreshing about Boruto. Parents and adults exists. And they aren't just decoration, but with real agency in the plot and not just in mentor roles at best. And there is more than just one Kakashi out there. Perhaps Boruto does cash in some climatic fights or confrontations, but the actual resolution doesn't necessarily come from him.
In terms of appeasing older fans I can't imagine former fans of the 2000s when it started, who are now grown up adults, many probably stuck in their salary jobs not resonating with an overworked Naruto stuck in his overtime hours.

Back