Asian Cinema Thread

Yeah that price is :rolleyes: Was lucky enough to buy my copy from eBay ages ago for a reasonable price, as I also missed it at Kimchidvd back in the day, as it sold out very quickly. It’s one, if not THE one, of my favourite South Korean movies right up there with The War of the Arrows.

That’s also a very good one, and have the South Korean Hommage release for this one, Kim Jee-woon also directed A Tale of Two Sisters and I Saw the Devil amongst others and I highly recommend these too.

Unfortunately i don‘t follow the South Korean releases closely anymore, have anime to blame for that 😁 For instance i’m missing JSA and would love to see a re-release of The Brotherhood of War.

Yeah it is. I can't count on one hand anymore about the number of people on blu-ray.com contacting me if I wouldn't be willing to sell my copy of The Chaser ... but that ain't going to happen, I'll firmly hold it in my greasy fat fingers for as long as i draw breath 😁

Yeah it is. I can't count on one hand anymore about the number of people on blu-ray.com contacting me if I wouldn't be willing to sell my copy of The Chaser ... but that ain't going to happen, I'll firmly hold it in my greasy fat fingers for as long as i draw breath 😁
May I hold it, just for a second 🥺

Akira Kurosawa's Ran is going to receive a 4K Ultra HD release. A listing appeared in Australia under Universal but the UK release should be with Studio Canal if it shows up.

It's actually listed under Studio Canal in Australia as well, so chances are good here. Fingers crossed anyway, it would look incredible; it's probably Kurosawa's best-looking film. Well, that or Dreams but Ran is the better film.

Jackie Chan's Dragon Lord, Jackie Chan's Fearless Hyena, and Herman Yau's Untold Story have been acquired by distributor 88 Films for a UK Blu-ray release scheduled for Q3 2020. Announced on Facebook.

For those wondering about the legit info about these (because of April Fool's Day), some folks who have worked with 88 Films went into more detail. Dragon Lord has a 2K master but may need re-rating for one of the versions available, and Untold Story is expected to be cut by the BBFC for sexual violence in one scene.

Last edited:
Figured I'll offer another update on the Asian Cinema schedule for UK territories. I'll probably make this a monthly thing since there's often tweaks to dates and surprise announcements etc.

April 2020:

DateNameLanguageDirectorFormatDistributor
13thClan of the White LotusCantoneseLieh LoBlu-ray88 Films
13thNever-Ending Man: Hayao MiyazakiJapaneseKaku ArakawaBlu-ray & DVDAnime Limited
20thHeart of DragonCantoneseSammo HungBlu-ray88 Films
20thZu Warriors from the Magic MountainCantoneseTsui HarkBlu-rayEureka 'Masters of Cinema'
27thKwaidanJapaneseMasaki KobayashiBlu-rayEureka 'Masters of Cinema'
27thTsukamoto:
Killing / Haze / Denchu-Kozo
JapaneseShinya TsukamotoBlu-rayThird Window Films

May 2020:

18thFlavour of Green Tea Over RiceJapaneseYasujirō OzuBlu-ray & DVDBFI
18thFuneral Parade of RosesJapaneseToshio MatsumotoBlu-rayBFI
18thThrow DownCantoneseJohnnie ToBlu-rayEureka 'Masters of Cinema'
25thPink Films Vol 3 & 4:
Abnormal Family / Blue Film Woman
JapaneseMasayuki Suo, Kan MukaiBlu-ray & DVDThird Window Films

June 2020:

1stParasiteKoreanBong Joon-hoBlu-rayCurzon Artificial Eye
15thOperation Condor: Armour of God IICantoneseJackie ChanBlu-ray88 Films
15thTokyo Story (4K Restoration)JapaneseYasujirō OzuBlu-rayBFI
22ndThe Mad FoxJapaneseTomu UchidaBlu-rayArrow Academy
29thTakeshi Kitano Three-Film Collection:
Boiling Point / Sonatine / Violent Cop
JapaneseTakeshi KitanoBlu-rayBFI

July 2020:

27thGamera: The Complete CollectionJapaneseVariousBlu-rayArrow Video

Coming Soon (No Scheduled Date Yet):

NameLanguageDirectorDistributor
The Burning Buddha Man & Violence VoyagerJapaneseUjichaThird Window Films
Dragon LordCantoneseJackie Chan88 Films
Fearless HyenaCantoneseJackie Chan88 Films
HanagatamiJapaneseNobuhiko ObayashiThird Window Films
MelancholicJapaneseSeiji TanakaThird Window Films
Pink Films Vol 5: Women Hell SongJapaneseWatanabe MamoruThird Window Films
Ran (4K Ultra HD Blu-ray)JapaneseAkira KurosawaStudio Canal
Underwater Love (Blu-ray)JapaneseShinji ImaokaThird Window Films
Untold StoryCantoneseHerman Yau88 Films

Jackie Chan's Dragon Lord, Jackie Chan's Fearless Hyena, and Herman Yau's Untold Story have been acquired by distributor 88 Films for a UK Blu-ray release scheduled for Q3 2020. Announced on Facebook.

For those wondering about the legit info about these (because of April Fool's Day), some folks who have worked with 88 Films went into more detail. Dragon Lord has a 2K master but may need re-rating for one of the versions available, and Untold Story is expected to be cut by the BBFC for sexual violence in one scene.
Have 88 Films actually come out and said Untold Story was not an April Fool's?!? Its just far too crazy of an announcement to make on that day! 😂

Have 88 Films actually come out and said Untold Story was not an April Fool's?!? Its just far too crazy of an announcement to make on that day! 😂
Yeah it's quite possibly an April Fools but they literally went into detail about licensing costs on the Blu-ray forum which is a bit overkill for a joke if you ask me.

Yeah it's quite possibly an April Fools but they literally went into detail about licensing costs on the Blu-ray forum which is a bit overkill for a joke if you ask me.
My friend had the theory they did it as a joke and the amount of people on the FB post who were saying 'oh great, I'm going to buy this!' So they had an 'oh s#it, I think we're going to have to do this' moment... 😂

My friend had the theory they did it as a joke and the amount of people on the FB post who were saying 'oh great, I'm going to buy this!' So they had an 'oh s#it, I think we're going to have to do this' moment... 😂
Sounds reasonable lol, but honestly there's no harm testing the BBFC to see how much needs to be cut. Apparently it's getting a Blu-ray release in the US in the worst case scenario.

Arrow Easter Sale has begun and they have re-released a few out of print box sets in one single Amaray Blu-ray case.

The re-releases are as follows:

If I didn’t have those sets already I’d have probably considered going for them. Some decent titles in the sale though.

Japanese director Nobuhiko Obayashi has sadly passed away at the age of 82. Born in 1938, he has directed many films over his career.

His directorial debut was the 1977 film House, which is available to own by Eureka Ent in UK and Criterion in US. He also directed the 1983 film The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and the 1987 film The Drifting Classroom (based on the manga series). One of his more recent projects was the 2017 film Hanagatami which he has continued to work on even though he was diagnosed with stage four cancer. The film was recently acquired by Third Window Films for an upcoming Blu-ray release. His final project was the 2019 film Labyrinth of Cinema which was screened at the Tokyo International Film Festival and was planned for a theatrical release in Japan, but due to the COVID situation it had been postponed.

Back