Berserk

who likes suffering
Uh.. Berserk fans? One of the themes still present is the suffering of the main cast?

true though, it’s pretty agonising to wait months sometimes over a year for another chapter, or god forbid you’re like me and want a volume, I would say to new fans who want to read it if their pockets are deep enough is to start with the Deluxe volumes, they bring out the early art quite well and it could convince them to take their time and start over, rather than reading past the advent most have seen in the adaptions by now

I’d love to see gutts get to falconia and properly confront Griffith, but the back of my mind is thinking falconia isn’t just for Griffith, it’s for the god hand, he’s continually plunging the world deeper into a fantastical one, that could be leading closer to the god hand.
apparently this is the last arc, so it will probably end in falconia, I’m thinking it may be stretched out a little bit more than miura will come back with a dark ending

I think there will be at least one other arc before the end myself. I think Guts behelit will come into play at somepoint and I would be disapointed if they don't give us anything on the skull knight after teasing him for so long. I can see it ending with Guts, Casca and crew confronting Griffith.

I am very interested to find out how they would fight the god hand. Back when Guts fought Slan by herself he was absolutely overwhelmed and I doubt he would have done much better with the berserk armour. Now I just need to pray we make it that far to find out.

Yeah, tone has definitely changed in Berserk, but I can't bring myself to make an honest judgment of the series as a whole since I have only made a single read through of the entire thing and I stopped reading new chapters as they drop because, you know, who likes suffering.

I know that it's one of my favorite things ever, and Guts and Griffith are probably the most interesting and layered characters in manga, anime, even media in general. The world established by Miura is also irresistible in its mystery. Art is different, yes, but we still get those superlative spreads full of detail every now an then and I generally like the look of the series (even if it has peaked a while back). The pacing... Well, I don't know about the pacing, we're waiting months upon months for a single chapter, so it's kinda hard to really know, at least for me. I'm as tired of waiting as everyone else.

But even if the tone has changed, you know that the world of Berserk is dark (its inner trappings, too), Falconia is some facked up shite and the ending probably won't be all happiness and sunshine. Well, I say probably, but who knows, I think Guts deserves a break, so I'd love a happy ending for him.

I think I read we're close to the endgame, too? I hope so.

More years ago than I can count, I ordered all of Berserk that was available and binged it. That really drove home how much series changed, after the conviction arc, once magic entered the picture. I'm sure it'd be jarring especially for anyone else that tries to read without long hiatus gaps in-between.

I'll always love the main trio's dynamic as they developed in-tandem and some of the other older characters, like Judeau. The writing was wonderful. Heck, the 1997/8 anime will forever be one of my favourite anime of mine since it captured Berserk in its prime, timelessly, with Hirasawa's hunting music, and that foreboding 'hand of God' warning before the intro...

There are still definitely some plot threads I'd like to see through to conclusion: namely, Skull Knight and his past with the head honcho of God's Hand; whatever the name of 'Brain' the leader is. It's heavily suggested/all but confirmed he was the same G-sumat skull masked emperor that ruled Midland, 2000 years ago, and that 'angels' came down to thwart him.

The only hope Guts has of killing Griffith is with the Skull Knight's help, on a semi-related note. Don't see where else he can get a power-up at this point, being as the berserker armour was not even enough for Guts to beat one of Griffith's generals. As it stands, all five of God's Hand are alive, along with Griffith's army of apostles. Skull Knight can't kill the leader of God's Hand or Femto, either, so not even sure how he could help much. This is what I meant by Miura having wrote himself into a corner: in something like Naruto, or a shounen, you can power up the lead with new forms over and over, logic be damned. Berserk is more gritty and serious, so he has to work out how human Guts can kill demi-Gods. Not like Guts can become an apostle either, so...

I can't see it ending happily for Guts, or him.. forgiving Griffith. I think the Gungrave ending was out the window with v14.

Geez I wonder why.

Edit: Anyway I've blocked this guy, I can continue talking berserk.

That's a pity, then, for I haven't blocked you~

I'll let you have your thread back, free of the sort of tame still-buying-deluxes criticism that triggers you so, after this. But, to clarify since you remain ignorant: autism is a spectrum, much like Berserk isn't black & white to the extent it comes down to fanboys and haters; the pages aside, that is. I has Assburgers, rather than autism, which allows me to debate with intellectuals such as yourself quite easily. You went for an easy retort, assuming blindly, as you did regarding my views on Berserk. I lack the kind of social graces you displayed by introducing yourself with an insult, before suggesting you couldn't bring yourself to argue with one such as myself, but fret not.

First you insult me, then you discriminate against me, and now you blocked me after assuming my gender. I should report you but, just this once, I'll let you off with a warning. This is sarcasm, btw. No, really!

Uh.. Berserk fans? One of the themes still present is the suffering of the main cast?

true though, it’s pretty agonising to wait months sometimes over a year for another chapter, or god forbid you’re like me and want a volume, I would say to new fans who want to read it if their pockets are deep enough is to start with the Deluxe volumes, they bring out the early art quite well and it could convince them to take their time and start over, rather than reading past the advent most have seen in the adaptions by now

I’d love to see gutts get to falconia and properly confront Griffith, but the back of my mind is thinking falconia isn’t just for Griffith, it’s for the god hand, he’s continually plunging the world deeper into a fantastical one, that could be leading closer to the god hand.
apparently this is the last arc, so it will probably end in falconia, I’m thinking it may be stretched out a little bit more than miura will come back with a dark ending

I wonder if we'll get a deep dive into the members of the Godhand or if he'll just leave things as is. I would be so happy if this is indeed the last arc, and I pray that Miura sticks the landing. The Idea of Evil knows that Guts deserves it 🙏

More years ago than I can count, I ordered all of Berserk that was available and binged it. That really drove home how much series changed, after the conviction arc, once magic entered the picture. I'm sure it'd be jarring especially for anyone else that tries to read without long hiatus gaps in-between.

I'll always love the main trio's dynamic as they developed in-tandem and some of the other older characters, like Judeau. The writing was wonderful. Heck, the 1997/8 anime will forever be one of my favourite anime of mine since it captured Berserk in its prime, timelessly, with Hirasawa's hunting music, and that foreboding 'hand of God' warning before the intro...

There are still definitely some plot threads I'd like to see through to conclusion: namely, Skull Knight and his past with the head honcho of God's Hand; whatever the name of 'Brain' the leader is. It's heavily suggested/all but confirmed he was the same G-sumat skull masked emperor that ruled Midland, 2000 years ago, and that 'angels' came down to thwart him.

The only hope Guts has of killing Griffith is with the Skull Knight's help, on a semi-related note. Don't see where else he can get a power-up at this point, being as the berserker armour was not even enough for Guts to beat one of Griffith's generals. As it stands, all five of God's Hand are alive, along with Griffith's army of apostles. Skull Knight can't kill the leader of God's Hand or Femto, either, so not even sure how he could help much. This is what I meant by Miura having wrote himself into a corner: in something like Naruto, or a shounen, you can power up the lead with new forms over and over, logic be damned. Berserk is more gritty and serious, so he has to work out how human Guts can kill demi-Gods. Not like Guts can become an apostle either, so...

I can't see it ending happily for Guts, or him.. forgiving Griffith. I think the Gungrave ending was out the window with v14.

Oh man, the anime, I love it so much. I must have watched it like 7 times or something, it's a classic that gets everything about the source material right and enhances the mood through the soundtrack and direction. I'll never forget the fight against Zodd and the horrific way in which it was portrayed. It was really powerful. The same can be said for the Eclipse: just despair and nihilism and emptiness. It's exhausting and draining, and that's exactly the way it should be.

I remember watching the movie trilogy and I was like "yeah, this looks good, but... Where's the horror? The feeling of despair?". It simply wasn't portrayed as well, despite the animation.

And that ED, it's so moving. Even more so after the last episode.

As for the Skull Knight, I think enough has been implied as to his identity that disclosing more information almost feels unnecessary. On the other hand, I would be interested to know more about him and Void, even if IIRC its also been implied Void was like a mage of his who betrayed him or some such, not sure as to the details.

Yeah, when you lay it out like that, the odds are definitely against Guts, but maybe the kid and the way he's connected to Griffith will play a part in that.

Do we know if Miura had already decided on an ending?

I think Miura has hinted at wanting a happy ending after such a dark story but that is all I heard.

Yea when I say I want to know more about skull Knight I meant the history with void etc like you implied. I want to know how the grand kingdom came to ruin and how the god hand came to be :)

May not be the correct group but will anybody be picking up the recently announced 'Hellsing Deluxe Editions' in the style of Berserk?

Also what other series would you like see get this treatment??

cough Battle Royale cough

May not be the correct group but will anybody be picking up the recently announced 'Hellsing Deluxe Editions' in the style of Berserk?

Battle Royale was already released in this format, wouldn't mind seeing it get a retranslated release though.

Battle Royale was already released in this format, wouldn't mind seeing it get a retranslated release though.
It was indeed, but as it was towards the end of the TokyoPop lifespan I assume it had a very small print run as they are next to impossible to get for anything close to a good price!
I had the first volume once upon a time but as i couldn't get the rest I sold it for almost £60!

Now that I know Hellsing is getting a hardback release I’ll definitely be getting it.

No, no. I've already started getting EL and I plan to get AoT when its finished, dont put another one on my list!

That said, it's been a while since anyone gave claymore any of that attention.

Deluxe claymore. Hard pack claymore. Now

Back