The General Conversation Area

So I finally ordered some blankets as Christmas presents.
I decided to wait on the mat as a few family members/friends have made requests and there not even anime related. šŸ˜­

wp4719984-vegeta-rage-wallpapers.jpg259595.jpg
wp1825480-no-game-no-life-wallpapers.jpg
Also found someone who does 1000 piece Jigsaw puzzles.
So I sent some pictures to have these made. (They do 1500 pieces too)
877246.jpg693623.jpg

Well it seems Iā€™ve been on a member of this forum now for three years according to my account page-how time flies.

My CDJapan stuff has shipped. Last order took about 3 weeks from the order date to arrive which would put this one at about the 18th, but at this time of year it might take longer and miss Christmas.

So looks like I might be getting the dreaded grey royal mail card in the near future. I'm curious about the legality of their 'handling fee' though so I've put the question to them, don't know if I'll get a response but I'm interested.

The basic argument is that I've already paid for delivery, and at no point did I agree to any kind of interference from the royal mail beyond their contracted job of delivering it which is something I have already paid the seller for. Any other action taken by the royal mail in regards to my item is presumed and not legally enforceable as no contract exists, therefore they should not have any right to impede the delivery of the item.

I probably wrote it out better to them but it's sleep time!

P.S I do support the Royal Mail, I buy special edition stamps from time to time and I let my excellent local postie dump loads of generic junk mail through my door on a daily basis :p.

So looks like I might be getting the dreaded grey royal mail card in the near future. I'm curious about the legality of their 'handling fee' though so I've put the question to them, don't know if I'll get a response but I'm interested.

The basic argument is that I've already paid for delivery, and at no point did I agree to any kind of interference from the royal mail beyond their contracted job of delivering it which is something I have already paid the seller for. Any other action taken by the royal mail in regards to my item is presumed and not legally enforceable as no contract exists, therefore they should not have any right to impede the delivery of the item.

I probably wrote it out better to them but it's sleep time!

P.S I do support the Royal Mail, I buy special edition stamps from time to time and I let my excellent local postie dump loads of generic junk mail through my door on a daily basis :p.
From the RM web page...

"What does the Royal Mail handling fee cover?

Our Ā£8 handling fee reflects the cost of clearing items through customs and presenting them to Border Force.

This includes staff costs, storage, administration and handling of the item through Customs. The fee also covers storage and cash handling processes at the Delivery Office."

From the RM web page...

Our Ā£8 handling fee reflects the cost of clearing items through customs and presenting them to Border Force.

This includes staff costs, storage, administration and handling of the item through Customs. The fee also covers storage and cash handling processes at the Delivery Office."
I too charge Ā£8 for pressing + 2 0 % on a calculator, sticking something on a shelf and writing on a postcard, the latter two of which RM already do for free if there arenā€™t any taxes to pay but someone happens to be out.

Note to any posties out there, since I doubt youā€™re actually paid Ā£8 every time you perform this service, might be worth your while just knocking on peopleā€™s doors, asking for a fiver for ā€œtaxesā€ while winking or doing air quotes instead of this tedious nonsense.

So I got to wait another week because they have made my blankets in the wrong size. 125x150cm
They have asked it I want them in this size at a discount.
I said I want my size but I would ask the forum to see if you guys would like any of them.
Screenshot_20191204_223152.jpgScreenshot_20191205_093018.jpgScreenshot_20191204_223249.jpgScreenshot_20191205_093040.jpgScreenshot_20191204_223106.jpgScreenshot_20191205_093104.jpg

From the RM web page...

I know the general blurb but I haven't given them permission to act as arbitrator with HMRC and all royal mail do is collect it and transfer the money over, most likely after you've paid them rather than up front. The collecting is already paid for and there's nothing else there that they wouldn't usually do as part of the normal postal service (if it hadn't received customs charges they would have still collected it).

I too charge Ā£8 for pressing + 2 0 % on a calculator, sticking something on a shelf and writing on a postcard, the latter two of which RM already do for free if there arenā€™t any taxes to pay but someone happens to be out.

Note to any posties out there, since I doubt youā€™re actually paid Ā£8 every time you perform this service, might be worth your while just knocking on peopleā€™s doors, asking for a fiver for ā€œtaxesā€ while winking or doing air quotes instead of this tedious nonsense.
I know the general blurb but I haven't given them permission to act as arbitrator with HMRC and all royal mail do is collect it and transfer the money over, most likely after you've paid them rather than up front. The collecting is already paid for and there's nothing else there that they wouldn't usually do as part of the normal postal service (if it hadn't received customs charges they would have still collected it).
For the record I'd like to say I'm not a postman or do I work for Royal Mail, I was just quoting their reason for the charge. Please don't shoot the messenger šŸ˜…

For the record I'd like to say I'm not a postman or do I work for Royal Mail, I was just quoting their reason for the charge. Please don't shoot the messenger šŸ˜…

Lies! You clearly work for the Royal Mail's PR department and that handling fee obviously goes towards ensuring people don't question paying the handling fee which is why they (you) claim not to make any profit from it :p.

I'm a fan of posties themselves. It's the upper echelons (isn't it always?) I can bet my local posties never see a penny of it and it just goes on some overpaid scumbags Christmas Bonus. I miss posties actually having time to be friendly and chat briefly; don't even get a chance to give them a takeaway cuppa on a particularly cold day now.

I feel like if it actually cost RM Ā£8, theyā€™d also charge Ā£8 to hold items at the depot and post the ā€œsorry we missed youā€ cards. But perhaps I should stay quiet about that, donā€™t want to give them ideas...

Lies! You clearly work for the Royal Mail's PR department and that handling fee obviously goes towards ensuring people don't question paying the handling fee which is why they (you) claim not to make any profit from it :p.

I'm a fan of posties themselves. It's the upper echelons (isn't it always?) I can bet my local posties never see a penny of it and it just goes on some overpaid scumbags Christmas Bonus. I miss posties actually having time to be friendly and chat briefly; don't even get a chance to give them a takeaway cuppa on a particularly cold day now.
Ok, I admit it. My name is Patrick, I drive a black and white cat and I have a pet van that happens to be red. Ā£7 of the handling fee goes directly into my beer fund. I thank you all šŸŗšŸ»

Man this thread has died in the past week!
I blame the mass exodus to the 12 days thread...

On my front I've just for some reason wanted to go out tonight so I did... it's been like 6 months and nothing happens where I am

How's everyone doing? - I've had a sh*t few weeks, ngl.

Relationship ended on Monday and he's been vicious about me on FB since saying really awful untrue slanderous things. I then had his ex message me saying a mix of stuff which has f*cked me up even more.

I have people now trying to occupy my time but things like the period between xmas and new year, NYE itself etc is going to be really hard as it was supposed to be spent with him.

Does anyone have anything good to share to make this not so dreary because of me? :)

I hope you're all doing well and not getting too ill. I've been rundown twice but yet to catch an illness! - I bet it's waiting for Xmas haha.

Everyones pain is no worse or less than others, if it hurts us, it matter just as much.

It's been a series of exhaustion after a hol, feeling hella ill after Scotland, finding out an ex I'm still friends with lost his Dad after a cruel battle with Cancer, to this. It's a nightmare as I still love my recent ex but what he's done, I can't see how it could be repaired.

What's been going on with you?

Very little's been going on with me. That might be half the problem really. Too much WFH - I think maybe I should actually leave the house a bit more :confused:

Ah yeah see I went into that trap too, because of everything I was almost a month wfh. I did my xmas do on Friday and thankfully didn't feel out of place.

I just want to stop hurting at this point. Going to start thinking worst case to just overly hurt and get it done.

Back