The General Conversation Area

Also its now 1930s and the `eldians wear armbands and have been"exiled" ti their own land which is apparently is a plan hitler had.
~The Yeagerists do some dodgy stuff in the new arc.
Imo he is inspired by Germany and its history

Also its now 1930s and the `eldians wear armbands and have been"exiled" ti their own land which is apparently is a plan hitler had.
~The Yeagerists do some dodgy stuff in the new arc.
Imo he is inspired by Germany and its history
I've seen a few stuff (like FMA and Tanya) that seem to blend stuff from both world wars or periods surrounding them, manga & anime creators seem to be fans of the stuff (not the ideals) that came from that time.

I have heard before that Hitler apparently had a plan to send the Jews to either Jerusalem or Israel, but of course much of the middle east is still majority Muslim, apparently what they wanted to do with the jews was pretty much the same as Hitler's "final solution" they didn't want the jews going through the middle east, so Hitler used camps instead

And yes, the current arc in the manga for Titan is one of the clearest in terms of isayama not writing a good & evil story but one more about war

I really don't want to deviate too much from the thread topic so I'll just give some final thoughts:

I'm certainly not the kind of person who is easily offended, as hard as it may be for you to believe 😛
I actually do come from a time when we weren't looking under every rock with intent to find something to take offence at. I'm simply implying that you don't have to necessarily agree with or feel comfortable with everything that you see in fictional entertainment (or real life, for that matter). I'm certainly capable of perspective, and of being able to separate the two, but some things in fiction can be representative of things that occur in real life (or are influenced by real life scenarios), albeit in an exaggerated manner. It's entirely possible to still respect the creative freedom of the artist, even if you don't like certain aspects of their creations, and I'm certainly not the kind of person who would suggest that any creative "should never have made that". I'm also not one of those people who feels that just because I have a problem with something, that every one else should therefore have a problem with it as well.

Personally I think it's a positive thing that artists can push boundaries because in my opinion, you'd have to be a pretty emotionless machine to not react to anything. I don't mean react as in "I must take my relatively disproportionate, passive-agressive rant to social media to inform the masses about how deeply offended I am", I simply mean reacting in a real and human way. Allowing yourself to empathize with characters, and become invested in their stories -people can really feel connected to specific characters, because "he or she has been through a similar situation".
This is why I like you Aya, multi-paragraph thought out responses. From discussions we've had in the past I certainly don't think you're an easily offended person, my post was intended to clarify that.
Entertainment can be pretty jarring too; it's certainly not all sunshine and rainbows. Some things are meant to shock and surprise, and that needn't be a bad thing. I personally think it's acceptable to raise eyebrows and question things, as opposed to, (at least in this example), soley accepting the things that transpire as the bi-product of a warped mind. It's possible to do so without it resulting in twisted knickers 😛
I think there's a difference between simple acceptance of something existing and understanding why it exists. What I meant by my comment was that because he was in a dark place at the time, it was probably easier for Anno to tap into and illustrate the darker sides of human nature - Things which I don't think either of us would dispute are really there. That exploration of people as flawed beings created as a product of their experiences struggling to overcome and move beyond that is what makes Evangelion as special as it is. Obviously I'm a huge fan of media doing the things you describe there too, I think it's great to challenge your audience (and I guess, make them feel uncomfortable) I'm just not sure what there is to question about it.
I respect the fact that we are very different in terms of our attitudes, and thus have different outlooks on things, and these are just my personal thoughts and opinions. I totally see where you're coming from, but I can't fundamentally agree on the basis that I have too much awareness and emotional intelligence.
Ouch. Straight for the heart eh? I prefer to aim for the head myself, but whatever works :p It's not that I can't empathise or that fiction doesn't move me, it certainly does. It's just this idea of "discomfort" I'm not sure I really understand. Fiction is most definitely capable of making me feel sad or joyful (or wistful, which is my favourite) but never really uncomfortable. If I think about it, perhaps "discomfort" is just not something I feel generally any more (unless I'm say, sat on a train opposite someone I find very attractive and spending all my mental energy trying not to make eye contact, lest they see into my soul and judge me for my thoughtcrimes, but that's not an experience fiction can replicate). It could be that I felt enough of it in real life as a youngling that I had enough and decided to stop feeling it, or am just a psychopath who can turn off my empathy when I want to. The two maybe be related. Anyway, thanks for engaging with me further on this, I do like hearing other people's perspectives and it gave me an excuse to ramble. On another topic...

Has anyone see that hit piece on attack on titan claiming it's fascist
I haven’t, but then I actively try to avoid this outrage farming clickbait sh*te as much as possible. While I'm not a reader of the manga, so far in the anime in terms of fictional ethnic conflict I think AoT’s is pretty well realised. The oppression of the Eldians being based on the Marleyans' perception (whether real or not) of the Eldians' past oppression of them is pretty realistic and morally grey compared to a lot of black and white fictional conflicts.

The contrast drawn between the oppressed Eldians of Marley made acutely aware of their history (with the object of keeping them down and making them feel ashamed of their history, but also causing inevitable backlash via Grisha's radicalisation as essentially an Eldian nationalist) and those within the walls with no idea of their history is an interesting one. All of them (Marleyans included) are victims of history and a vendetta passed down through the generations whether they realise that or not. Also the very first thing that came to mind when the idea of the loyalist Eldians fleeing to a self-governing island was first brought up was not Israel but the situation with the Republic of China (Taiwan) and the People's Republic of China, and I'd bet money that was the inspiration for it. I know nothing of the manga author's beliefs, but what I take from it more than any political opinions is that whoever wrote it has a pretty good grasp of the history of conflict, how oppression creates resentment and blow-back that leads to further suffering. That's the story of most conflicts in the real world.

So many people these days seem to want stories (and characters) of clear-cut good and evil with no room for any moral grey areas, and it's probably not a coincidence those people tend to be inclined the same way politically.

Last edited:
Oh well bannd from another sub Reddit and I've been shadow bannd from other sub Reddits in the two years I've been there. all I said was its hypocritical Thats it ok that male characters get sexualised but female characters it's not ok I must of triggered a power mod in girl gamers sub Reddit don't even have to be rude or unpleasant to get banned on Reddit and it's impossible to get a unjustified banned lifted.

this is what the mods claim I did.
Why even come into this community if your entire posting history is going to roughly be: "Well it happens to men too so stop complaining". We welcome discussion from everyone, but not people coming in to demean the experiences of others.

I have never said this nor have I set out to demean the experience of other and i tired being diplomatic but I got muted for 72h fine the mods in that sub Reddit can get stuffd.i just needed to rant.

For me why the AoTs change in direction annoys me so much. Is it was set up as a black and white world and its gone so far from that initial hook that with all its expansion it lost its heart. The heart for me is Eren, Mikasa and Armin friendship which i feel is being lost even at the point the anime ended today.

So it’s been a while, how go things for folks?
🤨😮

OnlyMindlessFrilledlizard-size_restricted.gif

I've been glued to the Shinji chair all this time.

/umiko
That does not seem good for your health. Surely by now the glue has started to degrade?

Better question: how have you survived? Being stuck to that chair seems like it could have ramifications like y’know, not being able to eat.

Well AUKN has been a little quieter than before (particularly this thread) not much from me other than finding the annoyance that is anyone holding manga stock for deluxe editions
That doesn’t sound too good, at least i can help make this thread in particular a little more active again, unless i disappear again.

I’m doing decently, finished university recently and got a 2.1 so now I’m just in the process of beginning to look for a permanent job.
How did you find the whole university thing? What do you want to do as a job? What are you doing with all your extra free time now?

How did you find the whole university thing? What do you want to do as a job? What are you doing with all your extra free time now?
University was a solid experience overall, especially third year wherein I created six pieces for my uni magazine. Not really sure on what job I want to do so I’m keeping my horizons open. My free time is mainly dedicated to catching up on my various backlogs and writing articles and reviews.

University was a solid experience overall, especially third year wherein I created six pieces for my uni magazine. Not really sure on what job I want to do so I’m keeping my horizons open. My free time is mainly dedicated to catching up on my various backlogs and writing articles and reviews.
Ah backlogs, the only problem there is when youve caught up youve already added more to them!

Back