The General Conversation Area

I've got two fairly new kits hanging around, still in their boxes. I even bought a fancy little cutter thing to snip the plastic. I just know I'll make an absolute mess of them, so I just gaze at the boxes from time to time.
It's the gaze that counts 🤣 😃 😄

While I'm not a collector of figurines or gunpla and the like, I must admit there are some that really do look impressive - the amount of detail! 😱

I actually do have patience; I just lack the dexterity - I'm really cack-handed and I've got a touch like an elephant! 🤣

Some of the treatments of the kits you see in that magazine Hobby Japan are really impressive. 😯
The builders have their own unique interpretations. 👍
Indeed - I've even seen some that have airbrushed rust damage and everything! 😱

I actually do have patience; I just lack the dexterity - I'm really cack-handed and I've got a touch like an elephant! 🤣
I'm the same - especially with stickers! I have to get myself into some kinda sage mode state before I can even attempt to do them, otherwise I'll put them on at a wonky angle and the whole thing will be RUINED! 😖

Yeah, exactly! 😀
And then they file down edges of parts to change the shape, too. Like, making the "horns" sharper. 😯
A guy I used to work with was an amazing model builder. He used to customise loads of the kits he built. He built a few kits for me but the best he did was a vinyl kit of Judge Death.

This was the original kit, note the legs...
halcyon-judge-death-vinyl-kit_1_89d8770ec01679871bec28ac685b384b.jpg

I had a graphic novel with Judge Death shown like this....

IMG_20190518_183818523-01.jpeg

So he built me this....

IMG_20190518_183736122-01.jpeg

Not that much of the original kit remained. The base was custom built by him too.

I have to get myself into some kinda sage mode state before I can even attempt to do them
Maybe this is why Zen is such a big thing in Japan. It's so they can build Gunpla without wanting to rip out their hair! 😅 😆

Yeah, exactly! 😀
And then they file down edges of parts to change the shape, too. Like, making the "horns" sharper. 😯
I don't know if you know (you probably do because you're a knowledgable Scottish man), but the Gundam designs are apparently based on Samurai armour 😃

I mean, it might have been obvious to seasoned fans, but it was something I actually had to read for me to realise that. Twin buster rifles and gatling gauntlets kind of get in the way! 😅

I might just as well ask in this post, but did you get a chance to look at those links I posted in DMs of those figurines of Heero Yuy and Releena Peacecraft @Neil.T ? That's over a couple of hundred pounds per figure right there! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if you know (you probably do because you're a knowledgable Scottish man), but the Gundam designs are apparently based on Samurai armour 😃
It seems so obvious now you've told me! I really should've realised that, because the crescent on the helmet of the Gurren Lagann is very obviously based on samurai armour too. 😀

71Gp2pUg4IL._SX425_.jpg

I might just as well ask in this post, but did you get a chance to look at those links I posted in DMs of those figurines of Heero Yuy and Releena Peacecraft @Neil.T ? That's over a couple of hundred pounds per figure right there! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
I did, but I didn't realise they were so expensive. Crikey Riley. 😅
😯💨
*hyperventilates, being a thrifty Scot and all *
😛

They're impressive pieces, though.

#####

A guy I used to work with was an amazing model builder. He used to customise loads of the kits he built. He built a few kits for me but the best he did was a vinyl kit of Judge Death.
That is a seriously impressive bit of customisation there. That guy has some formidable talent. 👍

Well I’ve just finished University, submitted my dissertation so now I’m done. Graduation is in July iirc.
Got the first half of my grades back for the Final Major Project (FMP) that I had to do (the six articles I posted on here and a reflective report that was a pain to write) and got a B+ which is equivalent to a 2.1. I imagine my dissertation grade will come along next month.

Got the first half of my grades back for the Final Major Project (FMP) that I had to do (the six articles I posted on here and a reflective report that was a pain to write) and got a B+ which is equivalent to a 2.1. I imagine my dissertation grade will come along next month.
Congratulations 😃👍

Best of luck with the dissertation grade too 🙂

Is a 2.1 good? I've got 7.1 and that sounds great 😜

Back