Winter Streaming Preview 2019

Woah
repulsive main character... unwholesome interest in younger girls
Whilst I agree it can get a bit creepy, I think "repulsive" is a bit harsh. She finds Hana cute in a "aww, isn't she cute" way rather than a "she's cute, woof" way. It just that as a socially inept person she just shows it in an awkward way, she probably less mature than the girls which is where a lot of the comedy comes from.
And I'm not sure where the plural comes from, she doesn't treat Nao the same way and has a perfectly normal relationship with her sister (if either of them is a sis-con it's Hinata!)
Although the latest episode gives mixed messages. Miyako, when Nao says "you would say you love me in a swimsuit", replies "that would cause a misunderstanding, but later she photographs Hana in her Kimono in secret dispite saying she knows Hana would hate it! She gets her comeuppance though.

Oh and on a different matter step-siblings are perfectly legal as there are no blood ties. The only way you would find Domestic Girlfriend awkward is if you were having the same feelings in real life! Because I guess it would be a bit awkward in real life, especially in a love triangle as in the show.
I guess finding yourself in the situation of fancying a step-sibling is a lot more likely nowadays, especially in the West, with the divorce rates.

Dororo is my favourite so far. I'm also enjoying Mob and My Roommate is a Cat.
Boogiepop and The Promised Neverland are also good but I prefer the manga/LN. For Boogiepop, I was a bit annoyed that they rushed the Manticore arc. However, VS Imaginator arc (my favourite light novels) has been enjoyable so far.

Last edited:
Oh and on a different matter step-siblings are perfectly legal as there are no blood ties. The only way you would find Domestic Girlfriend awkward is if you were having the same feelings in real life! Because I guess it would be a bit awkward in real life, especially in a love triangle as in the show.
I guess finding yourself in the situation of fancying a step-sibling is a lot more likely nowadays, especially in the West, with the divorce rates.

I guess this is an agree to disagree thing, but personally I do find relationships like this awkward and I don't have step-siblings or fancy my blood brother. It's not about them being legal or not really, it's just that it is something some people take an issue with for a variety of reasons. :)

Domestic Girlfriend doesn't really bother me because the characters are so old when they become family, but something like Eromanga-sensei pushed the line a little bit because those characters were quite young (although I feel it makes up for it later in the story because it turns out they knew each other earlier). It's very much a case by case thing for me in how it's portrayed, but that's certainly not the case for everyone.

It sounds so trashy and reinforces those stereotypes of Japanese media. As what other culture has a show about a love triangle with Family even if it’s via marriage.

It sounds so trashy and reinforces those stereotypes of Japanese media. As what other culture has a show about a love triangle with Family even if it’s via marriage.

As I said in the article, it’s a soap opera. It’s 100% meant to be super ridiculous and not taken seriously.

As what other culture has a show about a love triangle with Family even if it’s via marriage.
Shows about a love triangle with family might be rare, but shows featuring it are a bit more common. I also doubt it's fully up to culture, but more a simple result of making a show with forbidden love + extra drama. Doesn't make it any good, though, and I'm pretty sure it isn't a show for me without even watching it.

One is a teacher as well. It sounds awful. And soap operas are awful too... it’s getting a mixed response which I would have assumed anyway

You don't have to watch it to be fair. If you don't like it just don't watch it, but I'm just saying that there are valid reasons that it's so stupid. It's made to be that way and those who are enjoying it (like I am) are having fun with it. It's not for everyone and that's for sure, but rather than ragging on it just leave it for those who are do like this kind of thing. :)

I utterly agree with everything Sarah said about "My Roommate is a Cat" (and keep banging on about it for the same reasons). It's a surprisingly heartwarming series thus far, and I feel like anyone who's ever been touched by a pet/animals in general or loves cats should definitely give it a shot.

Maybe then I can finally encourage @Demelza to watch it...

I was already set on watching only 7 series this season but "My Roommate is a Cat" might as well join the list. As it stands my watchlist is:
  • Mob Psycho 100 II
  • BanG Dream Season 2
  • Kaguya-Sama: Love is War
  • That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (2nd Cour)
  • The Quintessential Quintuplets
  • The Promised Neverland
  • Mysteria Friends
And a some more on delayed viewing. Honestly a quieter season than usual which is a nice change from the usual ~15 shows a season. Not that it's a bad season really, just refining my taste.

I can only concur with recommendations of Dororo. 4 episodes in so far and every single one has been great. It's tapping a different atmosphere to anything else this season, like a strange combination of Mushishi and Samurai Champloo. It's worth making the effort to dig through Amazon's byzantine interface to find it.

I’m watching a fair amount, but a chunk of them have carried over from last season. So far highlights for me have been:

Dororo: Every episode so far has been great for different reasons. I love the atmosphere and bleakness. I think @Paul hit the nail on the head with the Mushishi comparison.

My Roommate is a Cat: A SoL about a man and his cat should not be such a feels train but the writing here is charming, quirky and also moving as well. It really gives the series a sense of identity amongst the sea of cute SoL anime that’s come out over the years.

Honourable mentions include Promised Neverland and Shield Hero, both of which show promise but need a few more episodes in order to really show off what their adaptations are capable of.

Dororo is probably my favourite. Indeed the more serious shows The Promised Neverland and Boogiepop are the better shows this season. Endro and The Quintessential Quintuplets are quite fun.
Still nothing has beaten last winter though, maybe because it was the first season I was serious about seasonal stuff or maybe it was just that good.

Speaking of Dororo, I was going to point something out, but rereading the Wiki entry it might be a spoiler and to even elaborate more might hint at what that is.

Back