The Promised Neverland - Episode 2

ayase

State Alchemist
Untitled-1.jpg

Thought I'd start us off, this is the way this works, right? Much preferred this episode to the first one. @NoSurprises was probably correct that the first episode was more of a hook that worked for some, not so well for others, but the second did slow things down to give us more insight into how the characters think and feel. I'm liking the central dynamic developing between idealistic Emma, pragmatic Ray and slightly worrying unstable genius Norman. The threat of being found out is significant enough to be quite nail-biting.

But now it has me asking - is this going to be The Great Escape or The Animals of Farthing Wood? Will it focus on the break-out, or will that also be over quickly and the story move on to the adventures of the characters beyond the walls (which I'd hazard a guess would be pretty bleak)? Either has potential if it's done right.

If it doesn't go full watership down or lord of the flies by episode 3, I'm out. (I kid, I'll probably see it through regadless).

They're still at it with the crazy camera antics, with 'clock cam' in the opening minute and their weird character appears infront of themselves during conversation thing. Design is growing on me though.

One thing that kinda knocked me out of the immersion was 11 year olds talking about tracking devices and cameras after having lived on some sort of olde style people farm all their lives, Norman even picked a lock at one point! Pretty sure I was still learning not to breathe out of my mouth at 12. I could probably chalk it up to the books they have at the farm? But it seems a bit of a goof on the owners part to leave them lying around. I'm probably thinking about it too much though.

Verdict so far: 30/37 happy meals. Looks pretty, plot has legs. Waiting for a scene where suddenly they're all on the other side of the wall, Norman pulls out a cigar and states that he loves it when a plan comes together.

Also, might be in poor taste, but when the demons order at the assumed demon restaurant, are they technically looking at the kids menu?

Yeah the tracking device bit threw me a bit as well. How do they know about such things?
The lock picking could be just down to being a genius I suppose and knowing how similar mechanisms work. I doubt they would let him practise it much though as the place is secretly a prison and it would be a handy skill to learn if they ever figured out what was going on.

might be in poor taste
Depends on your tastes. Goes well with a nice Chianti, or so I've heard.

One thing that kinda knocked me out of the immersion was 11 year olds talking about tracking devices and cameras after having lived on some sort of olde style people farm all their lives, Norman even picked a lock at one point! Pretty sure I was still learning not to breathe out of my mouth at 12. I could probably chalk it up to the books they have at the farm? But it seems a bit of a goof on the owners part to leave them lying around. I'm probably thinking about it too much though.
That didn't really bother me, people mature at different rates (Christ, what was I doing at 11? Discussing Marxism with my school librarian because I didn't have any friends I think, possibly the other way around) and ol' Norm is a genius after all - They've already made it clear these three are the smartest of the bunch.

Back