Steins;Gate 0 - Episode 23

Someone really didn't like it:
I have to agree with some of it, but most of the time I never pay enough attention to the small details to notice when things change like Darus outfit.
I've gotta watch the vid now but I doubt a different world line explains why mayuri goes up like 5 cup sizes. She must make extra trips for chicken tenders

I believe its called its animated 7 years apart and different directors
true, but most of the characters didn't have as much of a change as mayuri, daru wears something different maybe and okarine seems thinner but... why that kind of change with mayuri? I finished the original series on netflix not long before starting 0 it's kind of jarring with her

true, but most of the characters didn't have as much of a change as mayuri, daru wears something different maybe and okarine seems thinner but... why that kind of change with mayuri? I finished the original series on netflix not long before starting 0 it's kind of jarring with her
I do think SG0 has bigger issues than character design tbh. The VN seemed to follow the original designs but gave them winter outfits.

Its a different world line of course things are different.
What he said about Darus outfit change (or lack there of in terms of his flip flops) makes sense. As does the bit about bigger boobs, not that I noticed the visual changes.

The change in characters from one to other don't make much sense, apart from maybe Okabe who had been through a lot. It does seem that the motivation behind 0 was just let's make more money off a popular franchise and it could have been written better (or at least adapted better - I haven't read the VN so I don't know).

The point of changing the character design in a sequel is so that they can release a brand new range of merchandise. Like how in each Avengers film something has to change, be it Black Widow's hair to Captain America's beard or the new Ant-Man has a new suit. That way you can't say "i won't buy that because I've already got it".
The same applies to anime, and when the first Steins;Gate started it wasn't much in the way of swim suits and stuff, but that came later so now they need to accommodate. When I was in Japan though, all the swim wear stuff for Yuru Camp looked completely wrong and out of place, but makes money and gets it another series and a film so what can you do? I thought the objective of S;G0 really did seem to be just making money, and not telling the story. Sort of the difference between the anime and the VN.

all the swim wear stuff for Yuru Camp looked completely wrong and out of place
I was looking through figures for various shows the other day and came across a swimsuit version of LLENN from SAOA:GGO which makes absolutely no sense because a) it's of the avatar of a person who is body conscious in real life and b) the avatar is from a combat game and I very much doubt a swimsuit would offer much protection or camouflage! I might've understood a wetsuit, but not a swimsuit!

I kind of wound up watching the last half of the last episode of 0 before anything else from that season...
0 seems to have some weird standing, but I do like that ending, because it makes the first TV shows ending not be a pseudo-happy ending. (As S;G Okabe would have essentially ceased to exist and his mind been replaced by the video D-mail's future Okabe once the moment in time hits when that D-mail got sent.
Mayuri's slappting was already part of the Beta Drama CD, I like that drama back then, because it gave her a more active role. Will have to see how it fares in the show itself, though.

I've gotta watch the vid now but I doubt a different world line explains why mayuri goes up like 5 cup sizes. She must make extra trips for chicken tenders
Having just rewatched the first TV show - she actually does has that bust size even in the first TV Anime. It's just that it's only as accetuated when she is in that maid café coplay outfit, while her normal blue dress doesn't. That makes it more grounded and kinda realistic.

EDIT: ok, being through watching, I take that so back.
WTH
Even in the last episode, which is back in the S;G line and reuses old footage. So much to visual continuity...

I do have to kind of question the point of this series if that was the end game all along. The entire Beta worldline seems to exist entirely for Alpha Mayuri to slap Okabe. The Beta worldline is still plunged into WW3, which seemed like what everyone was trying to prevent? Sure, they prevented it in the Alpha worldline, but we already saw that in the original, so it kind of makes this follow up a little pointless? I dunno. I still enjoyed it, but I can't say I was satisfied with that ending.
Beta does exists for Mayuri slapping and Okabe making that video. Because once they succed the whole Beta world is a goner that ceases to exist exept for some Butterfly memories.

Then why does the Beta worldline still exist at all after they send the message?
It doesn't. You also don't see it after they send the message. The last scene happens before they get send by Ruka. By that moment the world is gone and replaced with the S;G line. That's happening a while later though, since a more grown up Suzuha has to travel back in time. (She even mentions it. The point of her mission is to make Beta not existing. She disappears, too. Probably because there is nowhere for her to return to anymore.)

This is kind of why I hate time travel shows sometimes. They get so convoluted with all the rules and timelines, it's hard to know where things actually stand without breaking out a graph or something...
Just coming out of the second rewatch... I don't even feel like S;G is that much of your typical Time travel and the usual rules don't apply either. (The gradfather's paradox is also outright denied.)
It feels more like pages in a book. Everytime Okabe sends a D-Mail he stays on the same page, but the history of the last couple or dozens of pages is ripped out, trashed and replaced with something that is in line with the consequences of his change. But he doesn't really know what changed, because he was not part of those replacer-pages, but the scrapped ones. Sometimes a change is only as little as a paragraph, so the change is almost nonexistant in the grander scheme of things and sometimes whole chapters are ripped out. The time leaping is like going back a couple of pages, trashing those and rewriting them. The time machine is like reusing parts of formerly scrapped pages and putting them back into the narrative and trying to smooth down the paragraphs around it. And if they are fit into a page with a lower page number than the ones that get trashed with later rewriting sessions they stay in the end book, even through their origin of scrapped later book page numbers is gone in the end. And some characters randomly remembering things from scrapped pages is like the paper of those pages having been reused with the pencil's colour being erased, but not the pressure lines, so the old paragraphs vaguely still exist.
That's actually quite an interesting concept, since it's neither one fixed timeline that gets into cahoots with the grandfather's paradoxon nor it is a multiverse. The closest thing I've seen to it is probably Donnie Darko's tangent universe pattern, which more or less goes in line with the time leaping part. (And only that.)

At least that is the only thing that explains, why it's not a 100% full loop. Okabe originally got a metal Upa, but in the history of the end-worldline he got the green one. That Upa also has no bearing in all that Alpha stuff. So that Okabe he sends off to do the same Alpha stuff he does will doe the same more or less, render the world more or less the same as he departed it except for world history relevant details down the line, but that one Okabe ceases to exist once he gets to the moment when Okabe went into the time machine. He was just filler material in the hole that happened, because the protagonist we've been following has changed some things.

Last edited:
Back