US Region & Geolocking Compatible Blu-ray/DVD Imports

How do you confirm a Geolock?

I got the $800 Legend of the Galactic Heroes set and I can find out if I was told how.

If it will play on a PS4 or Xbox One. If you have a regular Region B player too, and it doesn't work on that but does on the consoles, it is geolocked. If it doesn't play on either, it's A locked, if it plays on both, its Region Free.

Here is Dragonblaze explanation

Sentai Filmworks' Geolock Method

Since around late 2014 onwards, Sentai Filmworks introduced a new method to 'avoid reverse importation from Japan' and that is the geolock. A geolock is essentially the disc using a country code rather than a region, so instead of saying it's region locked it is actually geolocked because your player is not set to the United States. This is a weird one to test as some discs are in fact region free but it depends on the authoring.

If you are concerned that you may not be able to play them, basically if you have a PlayStation or Xbox games console you are already set to play them because those are automatically set to the United States country code for some bizarre reason. The standard Blu-ray players do vary on manufacturer however.

Also worth pointing out that some of the earlier geolocked titles (released between December 2014 to March 2015) will only work on PlayStation and a small number of standard Blu-ray players (like Samsung). We have tested them on Xbox One, Seiki U-Vision Region Free Blu-ray players, Panasonic and Toshiba Blu-ray players and they all weren't compatible.

I have a Seiki SR4KP1, which is Region Free. I can change the region coding whenever I please.

And the verdict for Legend of the Galactic Heroes is...

YES. It will play perfectly fine when set to Region B. It's basically Region Free. (Region C doesn't really count- it's just a few countries where importing won't be worth it. Didn't do Region C tests, but who cares)

Titles I'll be ordering soon.

Bungo Stray Dogs - Season Two
NEW GAME!! - Season Two
Saga of Tanya the Evil
Brave Witches

No region stated

AOKANA: Four Rhythm Across the Blue
WorldEnd
Yona of the Dawn - The Complete Series (parts are region B so this should be fine)

Just ordered these. I'll let you know if there region b when they arrive. If not I'll stick them up for sale/trade

NEW GAME!! - Season Two
Saga of Tanya the Evil
Brave Witches
WorldEnd
Yona of the Dawn - The Complete Series

Just ordered these. I'll let you know if there region b when they arrive. If not I'll stick them up for sale/trade

NEW GAME!! - Season Two
Saga of Tanya the Evil
Brave Witches
WorldEnd
Yona of the Dawn - The Complete Series

Will you be able to take screencaps of Tanya? I'd like to compare its PQ to the Japanese release.

Will you be able to take screencaps of Tanya? I'd like to compare its PQ to the Japanese release.
Screen caps I'm guessing are pictures of the picture quality of the anime.

Also if your trying to compare picture quality does that not mean the mobile camera must also be of a high standard.

Last edited:
Back