Is 28 years of age to late to start your anime collection...

Ash bo diddle

Completely Average High School Student
I began my collection when i was 28, i am naw 30. Feel kind of cheated i didnt start sooner, but found so many amazing anime to watch. I currently own 70 boxsets 30 blu ray and 40 dvd. Has anyone else started later in they're life....geez im making myself sound o.a.p....just kind of feel like the only one.

I began my collection when i was 28, i am naw 30. Feel kind of cheated i didnt start sooner, but found so many amazing anime to watch. I currently own 70 boxsets 30 blu ray and 40 dvd. Has anyone else started later in they're life....geez im making myself sound o.a.p....just kind of feel like the only one.
No age is too late to start. I started collecting prior to that age but there are plenty here who started later.

I started at about 25, I'd need to count them, but it wasn't long after building my pc, I did try to save up before getting a bluray player for it but resistance was futile, I started my collection. only thing I'd be looking for now is the rest of the Berserk manga, that and a price drop for flip flappers.

I started around 30 with a collection Manga released in parts called the Manga Force Collection, but didn't continue really after it finished. I only restarted last year at 39 when I started buying the Ghibli Collection on Blu-Ray and since then I've brought a fair few other films and series.

I think I was around 28 when I started collecting, the thing that makes me wish I started collecting earlier is out of print DVD and Blu-rays that's so hard to come by now.

I started collecting in late 2014 when I was 17 and I'm not sure if my collection amounts to yours or not. There's a thread for posting collection pictures if you want to show us what titles you have. I always enjoy looking at others' collections and picking out titles I don't own

I started buying anime back in the 90's when I was in my late 20's. I had most of the Manga VHS releases. Later I bought a few DVDs but then stopped collecting anime and concentrating more on films. I only started collecting anime again on blu ray 2-3 years ago when I was 48!

Talking of Manga VHS, who remembers this?

I first started collecting anime 5 years ago, when I was only... 52 years of age! I am old enough to have watched the first anime broadcasts in the US as a kid way back in the mid 1960's, such as Speed Racer, Astroboy, Kimba the White Lion, and a few others, but I eventually lost interest in them and moved on to other things by around 1970, and didn't watch any anime after that. Then, in 2011, my two teenage daughters got me interested in anime once again when they introduced me to a couple Studio Ghibli films and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and those were intriguing enough that I wanted to see more. I started watching episodes of some of the more mature anime series on Adult Swim on television here in the US, such as Cowboy Bebop, Durarara!!, Samarai Champloo, and Casshern Sins. After I cut the cord on all TV at home back in 2012 and subscribed to Netflix so my daughters would have something to watch, I ended up viewing a good bit of anime on there. The first two anime series I watched from start to finish on Netflix were Blood+ and Last Exile, and those two series pretty much hooked me on anime and got me started on buying anime Blu-rays and building-up a collection.

Since I'm long divorced and have a decent-paying career in the IT field, I've had substantial finances available to build-up my collection fairly quickly, with well over 1000 titles, including a lot of Japanese, Korean, and UK imports and Aniplex of America releases. I also have a nice theater room setup in my basement with a 120" projection screen to watch my anime on, and I'm showing anime to a lot of my older, over-60 friends, who are surprised at how good some anime is from an adult perspective. So yeah, it's never too late to start collecting anime - actually it's probably best to be collecting as much as you can right now, if physical media is gradually going by the wayside.

Last edited:
Wow, what great people anime fans can be.i honestly wasent expecting a reply, or so fast, or so many. Thanks so much. I gess there are more older fans out there than i relised. The firdt time i was about to watch anime (elfin lied) i was in the stupid mind set of, this is for immature people or is this going to be really perverted (fan service) or look and sound terrible...but my mind was blown...i then began buying the big hitters like bebop, fullmetal, attack on titan and then branched out to more abscure or less well known. And naw i cant stop. Some of the story lines (like stiens gate) are so dame amazing....think im hooked naw.

I started buying anime back in the 90's when I was in my late 20's. I had most of the Manga VHS releases. Later I bought a few DVDs but then stopped collecting anime and concentrating more on films. I only started collecting anime again on blu ray 2-3 years ago when I was 48!

Talking of Manga VHS, who remembers this?
oh my god that trailer is epic ^.^ I do remember that my brother found the dancing stripper cat girls one online years ago, I don't remember what it was though. that 80's/90's boom though!
Wow, what great people anime fans can be.i honestly wasent expecting a reply, or so fast, or so many. Thanks so much. I gess there are more older fans out there than i relised. The firdt time i was about to watch anime (elfin lied) i was in the stupid mind set of, this is for immature people or is this going to be really perverted (fan service) or look and sound terrible...but my mind was blown...i then began buying the big hitters like bebop, fullmetal, attack on titan and then branched out to more abscure or less well known. And naw i cant stop. Some of the story lines (like stiens gate) are so dame amazing....think im hooked naw.
like many people my age, DBZ on toonami was what got me into it, but still didn't have a lot of access to it, after a while I stumbled onto elfen leid and really enjoyed it, despite it's faults, it's a rare one that had the dub sound so bad for it's time, but many sound a lot better now, I did mainly try to watch everything online before I got a job, if I remember right I finally signed up to CR just before getting a job and after that I built my pc. buying and watching anime has gotten so much better since my NEET days

oh my god that trailer is epic ^.^ I do remember that my brother found the dancing stripper cat girls one online years ago, I don't remember what it was though. that 80's/90's boom though!

like many people my age, DBZ on toonami was what got me into it, but still didn't have a lot of access to it, after a while I stumbled onto elfen leid and really enjoyed it, despite it's faults, it's a rare one that had the dub sound so bad for it's time, but many sound a lot better now, I did mainly try to watch everything online before I got a job, if I remember right I finally signed up to CR just before getting a job and after that I built my pc. buying and watching anime has gotten so much better since my NEET days

The stripper cat girls are the puma sisters from Dominion Tank Police iirc.

I'm going tp bend the rules here (moderator permitted) as there is hentai in the collection, hence the very strict age rating, but if you want a ready source of some classic (and not so classic anime) here is a set that was on the shelves for a breif time
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-A...sr=8-1&keywords=ultimate+anime+collection+dvd

I started in ernest at 16, but at 33 I'm kind of burned out. I've over 330 titles of which a few are ADV titles (remember them). The earliest anime I can remember seeing were Tokyo Babylon, Cyber City Oedo and eventually Fist of the North Star (First DVD set I bought) on C4 in the UK in the early to mid 90's. If you check My Anime List you'll see most of what I have (needs updating). I tend toward older anime but I've a few newer ones. :)

As for 28 being too late, no. I got into Synthwave only a couple of years ago so you can get into anything at anytime. One virtue of starting late is that you have a good back catalogue to play with and hopefully a more stayed and sensible attitude to anime. As I've said already I started much younger but went nuts for it and now I struggle to get motivated to watch. Just take your time, check out crunchy roll and keep in touch. What anime do you have Ash?

Last edited:
I'm not as enthusiastic about anime in general, but as an artist, I do appreciate it as an art form and what it has to offer to the art world. There are shows out there that I like - in fact, Pokemon was the very first show I got into back in the day and I really enjoyed it, and I still appreciate it as something that really spurred my love for animation in general since I love the art style of it (I do have a soft-spot for the 90's style of anime animation anyway, plus - Meowth) :p, but I'm very picky; I won't watch something "just because" it's anime - I just don't love it "that" much and I know what I like and what I don't like. But, that's the beauty - it's a very niche thing and there's so many styles and genres out there to suit different tastes, just ask the folk on here - they really know their stuff! I'm pretty sure @Neil.T has a couple of recommendations ;)

I'm 31 btw :)

Here's one thing though, if your kids are into it do you start collecting for them?

Well, I'm sure my two daughters are eagerly making plans to knock me off at some point in the near future, either by poison or rigging my car so I plunge into a ravine and explode in a fireball, just so they can get their hands on my anime collection... ;)

Lol, you can tell I listen to too many Old Time Radio detective shows on my internet radio - that sounds like a typical plot from one of those shows!

Last edited:
Being married with kids and a mortgage might be too late to start collecting, but that's what streaming is for.
I fall called under that category. It's harder for sure. I don't have the disposable income others have on here but I'm pretty selective with what I buy anyway. As long as you don't tell your other half how much anime costs to buy, it's all good😉

Last edited:
Back