Political views in reviews (split from GITS Part 2 review)

Badej

Student Council President
Is it really necessary to always bring politics in it especially if its related to Trump? It's getting silly especially if you consider GiTS released almost a decade before Trump even was a thing. If you want to shill for a particular view on politics do it somewhere else please.

Is it really necessary to always bring politics in it especially if its related to Trump? It's getting silly especially if you consider GiTS released almost a decade before Trump even was a thing. If you want to shill for a particular view on politics do it somewhere else please.
I think Ian is actually allowed to say what he likes in his reviews, just like Donald Trump is allowed to say what he likes on Twitter. It’s joke, grow a sense of humour.

I think Ian is actually allowed to say what he likes in his reviews, just like Donald Trump is allowed to say what he likes on Twitter. It’s joke, grow a sense of humour.

Do the cool kids still say 'quoted for truth?' Because I'm quoting this for truth.

When folks post these kinds of sentiments, whether under reviews of anime (and I've had this myself on Youtube) or social media posts from public figures, they really smack of 'shut up and dance, monkey!' It's one of the most offensive attitudes you can take toward somebody on a public forum, telling them that you don't care to hear their opinion, but you're happy to consume the content they're putting out. And that suggests a certain, deeply unedifying vein of entitlement.

Do the cool kids still say 'quoted for truth?' Because I'm quoting this for truth.

When folks post these kinds of sentiments, whether under reviews of anime (and I've had this myself on Youtube) or social media posts from public figures, they really smack of 'shut up and dance, monkey!' It's one of the most offensive attitudes you can take toward somebody on a public forum, telling them that you don't care to hear their opinion, but you're happy to consume the content they're putting out. And that suggests a certain, deeply unedifying vein of entitlement.
If I wanted opinions on politics, I would've been on a politics forum. Considering this content is about an anime release I wanted to know his opinion on it, not him taking a **** on Trump for no reason.

If I wanted opinions on politics, I would've been on a politics forum. Considering this content is about an anime release I wanted to know his opinion on it, not him taking a **** on Trump for no reason.
Not wanting to start a political discussion but Trump gives plenty of reasons for lots of people to **** on him.

Not wanting to start a political discussion but Trump gives plenty of reasons for lots of people to **** on him.
I know and I won't defend him. My point is that this kind of **** adds nothing to a review (or other content), because it has nothing to do with it. You don't have to add politics to everything imo.

It's an offhand single sentence joke about current affairs within the context of an otherwise completely non-political review. If Ian was using a review to push his unrelated political opinions I wouldn't like it either, but he's clearly not. Calling a simple joke political shilling is a massive overreaction and a misinterpretation of Ian's words. It doesn't "politicise" the review at all.

Also, I notice you've made a total of 18 posts on AUKN so far. Is it really surprising to you that people might take issue with you telling a long-time contributor to the site what content they should "take somewhere else"?

Also, I notice you've made a total of 18 posts on AUKN so far. Is it really surprising to you that people might take issue with you telling a long-time contributor to the site what content they should "take somewhere else"?
Oh sorry for lurking for a few years or so. I guess I'll spam the forums then, because how more posts I have how less people will have an issue with an opinion lmao.

Oh sorry for lurking for a few years or so. I guess I'll spam the forums then, because how more posts I have how less people will have an issue with an opinion lmao.
Yes, it's all to do with post counts, nothing to do with actually getting to know other forum members and staff before you start wrongly accusing them of political bias.

Taking the p*ss out of or laughing at politicians, even politicians you support is just normal humour to most people, I don't know what on earth happened to start making everyone so touchy and defensive about it. And if we can't laugh at figure as surreal and larger than life as President Donald Trump I don't know what we can laugh at.

Last edited:
I’ve split these posts out from the comments thread for the Ghost in the Shell Part 2 review, as they’re not particularly relevant to that review. Remember to be excellent to each other when posting, please.

Last edited:
See where this has gotten -.- i can not stop someone writing what they like 8n their own reviews, and I shouldn't be able to, but mentioning trump twice without nuance is going to ruffle feathers, whether you like the guy or not

Taking the p*ss out of or laughing at politicians, even politicians you support is just normal humour to most people, I don't know what on earth happened to start making everyone so touchy and defensive about it.
While I'm not bothered about adding mentions (not full-blown comments/statements plz) of politics into reviews, on this occasion I can't see how it added anything extra to the review.

Most of the comments I'd take is as a :laugh: Yep thats what trump would do... But joking about war will get more of a :urgh: Yeh... Thats a thing

Ofc, that is just my opinion

Personally I wouldn't include any politics in reviews, unless perhaps the work itself already does. Not only does it generally not add a whole lot, it also doesn't age very well. If it's minor enough, I'm not really bothered by it, but if it's present throughout the entire review, I'll likely stop reading it.

In this case, I don't see what it adds, but it's minor enough for me to ignore it in this otherwise good review.

I don't come on here to discuss politics, I don't mind the odd reference in a review but I have no interest in reading someone political view or subvertly pushing them through a review. Anime is entertainment and I prefer to keep it that way rather than getting into arguments with folks over politics.

Political views in review's and media is sadly a common occurrence in today's society, just take Saturday night live for example that show used to actually funny (by an American standard of humour) but now all they do is the Trump sketches to pander towards the sheep. Witty and thought-provoking reviews have become a rarity these day's, why actually put efforts into your review when you can throw in a Trump insult and instantly get gratification and applause, it's literally the equivalent of throwing fish at clapping seals.

Witty and thought-provoking reviews have become a rarity these day's, why actually put efforts into your review when you can throw in a Trump insult and instantly get gratification and applause, it's literally the equivalent of throwing fish at clapping seals.
Yes, because this entire thread clearly consists solely of mob-like braying and adulation, without any criticism or debate at all of the presence of a reference to contemporary politics in a recent Anime UK News review.

Yes, because this entire thread clearly consists solely of mob-like braying and adulation, without any criticism or debate at all of the presence of a reference to contemporary politics in a recent Anime UK News review.
I never mentions this thread once, I was talking about today's society as a whole and all reviews in general, but I apologize if you feel personally attacked because that was not my intention, I think the reviews on here are excellent specifically Dem's and Sarah's Manga and light novel reviews.

As I said in the review thread, while it's understandable to keep entertainment and politics seperate most of the time, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is a political show. Certainly you can watch it for the sci-fi and the cyberpunk action, and you can review it that way, but that is only half the story. From overarching themes to individual stories, it's replete with political allegories, meaning that you can relate it to current affairs even as times change.

Back in 2003, no one had heard of fake news and external forces altering public opinion, but you can see the 1st Gig and the Laughing Man meme that way now. The allegories of immigration in 2nd Gig, medical and social care in Solid State Society are more obvious. You can find commentary on "the American Empire" CIA kill squads, tensions on the Korean peninsula, the Yasukuni shrine, isolationism, capitalism, social media and more in the episodes. History and future trends are reflected and explored in the stories.

If you don't want to see politics in the entertainment you (general you, not specific you)watch, and even choose not to see it, fair enough, your choice. You're also free not to appreciate someone making political comment in reviews about that entertainment. But I for one am happy to see a diversity of opinion in what are subjective and personal reviews, including political commentary.

I've goon on a bit of a political cleanse these past months and have stopped myself watching and reading anything political, so it's really irritating to have other people's political opinions forced upon me by way of stealth.

Back