Your viewing journal

Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody (Dub) Episode 9
Katana Maidens (Dub) Episode 10
Karakai Jozu no Takagi-san (Dub) Episode 9
Karakai Jozu no Takagi-san (Sub) Episode 12
The Ryou's Work is Never Done! (Sub) Episode 12

Backlog
Granblue Fantasy The Animation (Dub) Episode 4 - 7

Space Dandy -season 1 (complete) - Not sure im feeling Space Dandy, the characters and excellent animation are wasted on silliness that's meant to be funny. Episode 5 was go as it seemed to have some purpose and a decent story. Hoping season 2 is in improvement 6/10

Darling in the Franxx - Episode 11

Does this show have any original ideas???

Panzer World Galient - Crest of Earth

A re-watch of the first compilation OVA.

A Place Further Than the Universe (Japanese audio) - Episode 13 (Complete)

2018-03-27_1.png

DZUJ8T8X4AEuIDE.jpg

Kanon eps 1-3
Intriguing. The MC reminds me of a cross between Hideki (from Chobits, mainly looks wise) and Kyon (from Haruhi Suzumiya, mainly attitude).
And is it me or are they overly hinting that Ayu is dead? She's much smaller dispite apparently being the same age and she has those wings on her backpack (and even real angels wings in the OP).

A Place Further Than the Universe ep 13 (twice, complete 😭)
A neat ending to a great show. Nearly everything was flawless so I'm going to give a Masterpiece rating.

Last edited:
Space dandy season 1 1-end
A pretty fun out there kind of thing.

Laughing under the clouds 1-end
Not too bad overall. I liked the dynamic between the three brothers.

Last Week- Finished watching Yu Yu Hakusho(Dub) really enjoyed it Felt the Dark Tournament arc was the best part of the series.9/10(Score based on enjoyability.)

Yesterday: Dragon Ball Super 131(Finished as of now) 7/10 Liked it but felt Dragon Ball and Z were stronger.

Today : Boruto Generations 44-46
Recently started Outlaw Star(Sub)(as of yesterday) have had it in my DVD pile for over a year so finally started watching it.
Today watched 4-7.

Violet Evergarden (Sub) 1-2.Interesting.

A Place Further Than The Universe episode 13 (Complete. A fun and quirky SoL drama that incorporates gorgeous animation with fleshed out characters and their relatable situations. Many have been praising this, declaring it an AOTY worthy series, and though I really quite liked it for the most part, I did have some irks with how they handled the drama in episodes 5 and 11.

the whole Megumi situation, whilst understandable never saw a payoff, though I suppose her going on an adventures and doing something for herself at the very end closed things up, I guess I just wouldn't react so nonchalantly to a close friend betraying me. With episode 11, we only really got one side of the argument, the friends who turned their back on Hinata were barely given any screen time and the drama just felt a bit underplayed. That speech made it worthwhile though.

Despite these irks, the rest of the dramatic scenes and character bonding elements were very effectively done, especially episode 12s' emotional climax. Overall, this was very good, and it was an experience that won't be replicated easily.) 4/5

Black Clover episode 25 Some decent action, I'm actually somewhat interested in what'll happen next week.

Overlord II episode 12 Evileye is best baggage.

Gintama episodes 29-31

Gungrave episodes 19-26 (Complete. A meld of gangster and science fiction, this was a unique and efficiently told story of rising to the top and betrayal. What I didn't like was how they tried to build up the relationship between Brandon and Maria as a core focus. As a character Maria just wasn't interesting enough to be that compelling, neither was their chemistry. That being said this was unique, and well deserving of a watch.) 3.5/5

Gurren Lagann: Childhood's End (Film) A well put together compilation film that works fairly well if you want a recap of the initial 15 or so episodes. Naturally character development and depth is lost when making these films but the action and general gist of the story still worked fine. 3.5/5

Land of the Lustrous – Episodes 1 – 3 – First Impressions
Although I normally try to make a little effort in doing some research on a show before watching I usually try going in as cold as possible because often the premise or art alone is enough to pull me in, here however I went in with no information whatsoever, well other than the fact that the show was highly recommended. Other than that all I had going in was a screen cap of the main character, Phos pointing with both index fingers, suffice it to say I took a liking to the character design instantly, from Phos' pale porcelain skin to the glistening blue-green bob cut, everything about Phos stood out, both inspired and unique, but more interesting was the fact that the characters are 3D models.
Once I actually fired up Episode 1 the very first thing to capture my attention was the music. As the opening credits roll unceremoniously, and as the camera sweeps across a huge grassy plain a soft and whimsical tune takes centre stage, instantly my interest was piqued and my attention gained, just like that I knew that I was watching something special, it sounds weird but that's how I felt. As the first action sequence begun the tempo hastened, I was instantly reminded of the Unlimited Saga OST and its myriad of battle themes, its absolutely exquisite. The music is otherworldly, mystical and fantastic, effortlessly enhancing the accompanying scenes. The voice acting so far has also been superb, Phos is both cute and silly and the voice actresses line delivery often has me genuinely chuckling, helped no doubt by Phos' facial expressions.
It's hard to talk about Land of the Lustrous without talking about the visuals and I'm a fan of what they've achieved here. Backgrounds are painterly and hand-drawn, each one looking as if it was ripped straight out of an art-book. Scenes taking place during the day present the viewer with a vast blue sky and a lush green plain, both juxtaposing beautifully. Shot composition is eye catching and stylish making full use of the canvas, the way the camera almost caresses the lunarians or flips and swoops by as characters somersault in the air screams of a show that's been lovingly storyboarded. Of course this is a show that utilises 3D CG animation and with it comes a lot of scepticism, here however it's utilised magnificently. The camera for one is constantly moving, flowing from scene to scene, the world feels so much more tangible and real because of it, almost as it the camera is alive and breathing, an inhabitant of the world itself.
The character models themselves are beautifully realized, although 3D they've done a fantastic job of giving off the impression that they're flat thanks to the shading. So what we have here is a case of having the best of both worlds. The hair glistens and moves in a way only a 3D model could, the characters move organically, even the most intricate of movements registered, all the benefits of a 3D character, and yet still looking homogeneous and one with the world and backgrounds themselves. The characters hair is constantly moving and with it a dispersion of light is projected onto the shoulders. Land of the Lustrous makes an entirely compelling case for 3D animation within anime, effortlessly displaying the uniqueness of the technique and what it brings to the table. Even the most subtle of movements are depicted, it really does bring the characters to life. What I love however is how we regularly get a bevy of 2D animation interspersed, what it does is it gives the show a unique texture and it shows that the staff are aware of the strengths and weakness, after all using 2D animation in conjunction with 3D isn't an admission of it being superior to 3D animation, both can and are working in harmony. Land of the the Lustrous is a gorgeous show with an impeccably stylish aesthetic and a charming cast of characters.
From a story perspective so far the series has been slow to show its cards, instead opting to focus on world building and character interactions. I'm constantly learning a little about the nature of the world and it's an interesting premise, in fact I honestly wouldn't mind if this was the rest of the show, so far it's made for a wonderful of viewing experience before going to bed, I'm sure however things will change as more is revealed. It's early days but this really does feel like a landmark title and I can't wait to watch more.

Land of the Lustrous – Episodes 1 – 3 – First Impressions
Although I normally try to make a little effort in doing some research on a show before watching I usually try going in as cold as possible because often the premise or art alone is enough to pull me in, here however I went in with no information whatsoever, well other than the fact that the show was highly recommended. Other than that all I had going in was a screen cap of the main character, Phos pointing with both index fingers, suffice it to say I took a liking to the character design instantly, from Phos' pale porcelain skin to the glistening blue-green bob cut, everything about Phos stood out, both inspired and unique, but more interesting was the fact that the characters are 3D models.

Once I actually fired up Episode 1 the very first thing to capture my attention was the music. As the opening credits roll unceremoniously, and as the camera sweeps across a huge grassy plain a soft and whimsical tune takes centre stage, instantly my interest was piqued and my attention gained, just like that I knew that I was watching something special, it sounds weird but that's how I felt. As the first action sequence begun the tempo hastened, I was instantly reminded of the Unlimited Saga OST and its myriad of battle themes, its absolutely exquisite. The music is otherworldly, mystical and fantastic, effortlessly enhancing the accompanying scenes. The voice acting so far has also been superb, Phos is both cute and silly and the voice actresses line delivery often has me genuinely chuckling, helped no doubt by Phos' facial expressions.

It's hard to talk about Land of the Lustrous without talking about the visuals and I'm a fan of what they've achieved here. Backgrounds are painterly and hand-drawn, each one looking as if it was ripped straight out of an art-book. Scenes taking place during the day present the viewer with a vast blue sky and a lush green plain, both juxtaposing beautifully. Shot composition is eye catching and stylish making full use of the canvas, the way the camera almost caresses the lunarians or flips and swoops by as characters somersault in the air screams of a show that's been lovingly storyboarded. Of course this is a show that utilises 3D CG animation and with it comes a lot of scepticism, here however it's utilised magnificently. The camera for one is constantly moving, flowing from scene to scene, the world feels so much more tangible and real because of it, almost as it the camera is alive and breathing, an inhabitant of the world itself.

The character models themselves are beautifully realized, although 3D they've done a fantastic job of giving off the impression that they're flat thanks to the shading. So what we have here is a case of having the best of both worlds. The hair glistens and moves in a way only a 3D model could, the characters move organically, even the most intricate of movements registered, all the benefits of a 3D character, and yet still looking homogeneous and one with the world and backgrounds themselves. The characters hair is constantly moving and with it a dispersion of light is projected onto the shoulders. Land of the Lustrous makes an entirely compelling case for 3D animation within anime, effortlessly displaying the uniqueness of the technique and what it brings to the table. Even the most subtle of movements are depicted, it really does bring the characters to life. What I love however is how we regularly get a bevy of 2D animation interspersed, what it does is it gives the show a unique texture and it shows that the staff are aware of the strengths and weakness, after all using 2D animation in conjunction with 3D isn't an admission of it being superior to 3D animation, both can and are working in harmony. Land of the the Lustrous is a gorgeous show with an impeccably stylish aesthetic and a charming cast of characters.

From a story perspective so far the series has been slow to show its cards, instead opting to focus on world building and character interactions. I'm constantly learning a little about the nature of the world and it's an interesting premise, in fact I honestly wouldn't mind if this was the rest of the show, so far it's made for a wonderful of viewing experience before going to bed, I'm sure however things will change as more is revealed. It's early days but this really does feel like a landmark title and I can't wait to watch more.
You've got me interested for sure, I've added it to my watchlist.

Amagami SS (Japanese audio) - Episodes 13-16
Fate/Stay Night 2006 (English dub) - Episodes 13-16
OVERLORD II (Japanese audio) - Episode 12
The Vision of Escaflowne (Japanese audio) - Episodes 13-16

A Place Further Than The Universe (episode 13) (once :oops:)
I liked the series as a whole and will be sad its finished, but I preferred last week to this one. It wasn't a let down and episode 12 was difficult to top, but it was definitely closure to the series. I do hope they leave it there and don't drag them back for a second season.
9/10 for me

Kanon eps 1-3
Intriguing. The MC reminds me of a cross between Hideki (from Chobits, mainly looks wise) and Kyon (from Haruhi Suzumiya, mainly attitude).
And funnily enough, they're all voiced by Tomokazu Sugita. In fact, just like the main character in...

Aho Girl eps 4–9
Episode 8: "I had no idea choosing snacks could be so deep."

How come this show gets all the best quotes?

Episode 9: "If you truly understand the pain of heartbreak without even a memory, then break the chain of sorrow with your massive rack! Just one feel! Just one feel is enough!"

Oh yeah, it's because of Yoshiko's genius-level stupidity. :p

And funnily enough, they're all voiced by Tomokazu Sugita. In fact, just like the main character in...
Except I've watched/ing all 3 in English and Yuuichi is voiced by a different actor Chris Patton who is Greed in FMA. Kyon and Hideki are voiced by the same guy though.

Back