Watch The Trailer for “Sayaosa”, Mari Okada’s Anime Feature Film Debut!

J

Josh A. Stevens

Acclaimed screenwriter Mari Okada (The Anthem of the Heart) is set to make her directorial debut next year with the anime feature film Let’s Decorate the Promised Flowers in the Farewell Morning (Sayonara no Asa ni Yakusoku no Hana wo Kazarou). The official website for the film, produced by P.A. Works (Shirobako) has released the first full trailer for the film, which opens in Japan on 24th February, 2018:

Known for their longevity, the youthful-looking people of Iolph have lived remote lives peacefully weaving daily events into tapestry. Maquia, an Iolph girl who has lost her parents, spends her calm days surrounded by friends, yet still feels “loneliness” in her heart. When an army raids their homeland in search of Iolph blood and the promise of longer life, their peaceful life falls into chaos and their most beautiful woman, Leiria is kidnapped around the same time Maquia’s secret crush, Klim, goes missing.
Having lost her friends and a place to return to, Maquia is lost in both mind and body as she wonders in a dark forest and meets Aliel, a lonely baby who grows up as a boy, while Maquia still looks like a girl, no matter how much time passes.

Mari Okada is credited for the film’s direction and screenplay, with Toshiya Shinohara (Black Butler) listed as Chief Director. Kazuki Higashiji (Charlotte) is serving as Art Director, with music by Kenji Kawai (Ghost in the Shell). The film will star Manaka Iwami (GAMERS!), Miyu Irino (Mr. Osomatsu), Ai Kayano (Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day) and Yūki Kaji (Attack On Titan). The full list of cast and crew, as translated by Crunchyroll, is as follows:

Crew:
Director/Screenplay: Mari Okada
Chief Director: Toshiya Shinohara (Black Butler)
Original Character Designer: Akihiko Yoshida (Final Fantasy XII)
Anime Character Designer/Chief Animation Director: Yuriko Ishii (A Lull in the Sea)
Art Director: Kazuki Higashiji (Charlotte)
Art Setting/Concept Designer: Tomoaki Okada (Kuromukuro)
Music: Kenji Kawai (Ghost in the Shell)
Sound Director: Kazuhiro Wakabayashi
Anime Prodution: P.A.WORKS

Cast:
Maquia: Manaka Iwami (GAMERS!‘ Chiaki Hoshinomori)
Aliel: Miyu Irino (Mr Osomatsu‘s Todomatsu Matsuno)
Leiria: Ai Kayano (Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day‘s Meiko “Menma” Honma)
Klim: Yuki Kaji (Attack on Titan‘s Eren Yeager)
Racine: Miyuki Sawashiro
Lang: Yoshimasa Hosoya
Mido: Rina Sato
Dita: Yoko Hikasa
Medomeru: Misaki Hisano
Izol: Tomokazu Sugita
Barow: Hiroaki Hirata

A UK release for Let’s Decorate the Promised Flowers in the Farewell Morning has yet to be announced, but any updates will be on Anime UK News as and when they come!

Continue reading...

The trailer didn't seem to make it across from the news page:

Looks good. I'm expecting lots of melodrama and tears.

There's a few extra shots missing from the trailer that were in the teaser:

Last edited:
Let’s Decorate the Promised Flowers in the Farewell Morning
Snappy title. I think there's a compromise to be made somewhere between exact translations and, y'know, titles that don't sound totally ridiculous in English.

Looks nice though. Don't know much about the creative staff (bar Kenji Kawai), they all seem to have worked on stuff that's probably highly acclaimed but I haven't actually seen.

The trailer didn't seem to make it across from the news page:

Looks good. I'm expecting lots of melodrama and tears.

There's a few extra shots missing from the trailer that were in the teaser:

Yeah, our robot is dumb. Thanks for posting them here.

Snappy title. I think there's a compromise to be made somewhere between exact translations and, y'know, titles that don't sound totally ridiculous in English..
It's no "I Want to Eat Your Pancreas" though :p

Back