Fairy Tail: Dragon Cry heads to UK cinemas this May

N

NormanicGrav

The Easter holidays have passed and we are a fair bit late on this one, but it’s a good recap to remind you folks that more anime is coming to the cinema! Don’t forget that very soon Sword Art Online the Movie -Ordinal Scale- will be screened across nationwide in cinemas on Wednesday 19th April and Friday 21st April (aka this week) so keep an eye on that!

Today, we are pleased to confirm that Fairy Tail’s second major film – Dragon Cry, will be screened across nationwide in cinemas for the United Kingdom!

Fairy-Tail-Dragon-Cry-788x1024.jpg

The film will continue the adventures of the Fairy Tail guild crew with this new storyline that will help provide closure to the manga. In other words, knowledge of the current storyline will be necessary in order to fully enjoy this upcoming film. The original author Hiro Mashima will be an Executive Producer for this feature film and studio A-1 Pictures will be in charge of the Animation Production. Tatsuma Minamikawa will be making his first feature-length debut as the director for the film after working on some episodes of both Attack on Titan and GATE.

Based on the best-selling manga, Fairy Tail: Dragon Cry takes us back to the magical Kingdom of Fiore, where an ancient treasure known as the “Dragon Cry” has been stolen and its destructive power delivered to Animus (Makoto Furukawa), the Kingdom of Stella’s ruler.

The dangerous task of recapturing this artefact falls on the hot-headed Natsu (Tetsuya Kakihara) and his fellow mages of the Fairy Tail guild. Venturing into enemy territory to track down the traitor, they encounter Animus’ magician Sonya (Aoi Yūki), who makes claims of wanting to save her country, but what is she hiding?

What does Animus plan to do with the Dragon Cry? Amidst the heroic battle and its tangled motivations, Natsu’s instinct awakens…

Fairy-Tail-Dragon-Cry-2-1024x576.png

Distributor Anime Limited will be in charge of supporting this film’s release as they have done with Your Name, A Silent Voice and Sword Art Online the Movie -Ordinal Scale-.

The Japanese cast for this film includes:

• Tetsuya Kakihara (Bleach, Final Fantasy XV) as Natsu Dragneel
  • Aya Hirano (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Death Note) as Lucy Heartfilia
  • Rie Kugimiya (Fullmetal Alchemist, Toradora!) as Happy
  • Yuichi Nakamura (Re:Zero -Starting Life In Another World-, Seraph of the End) as Gray Fullbuster
  • Sayaka Ohara (Persona 4, Your Name) as Erza Scarlet
  • Satomi Satou (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club, K-On!) as Wendy
  • Yui Horie (Love Hina, Monogatari) as Carla/Charle
  • Makoto Furukawa (One Punch Man, Orange)
  • Aoi Yūki (Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Sword Art Online II)

Fairy Tail: Dragon Cry will be available in select cinemas on Wednesday 17th May and Friday 19th May 2017. Don’t forget to keep an eye on what slots are available on the official UK cinema website page from Anime Limited. The Fairy Tail series is currently being distributed by Funimation for DVD (Manga Animatsu still have stock left for the first 9 parts and the first movie Phoenix Priestess).

If you want to try and catch up before watching this film you can stream all of the episodes over on Funimation in both English and Japanese audio (Crunchyroll also has the 2014 series available in Japanese), plus the latest chapters of the manga is available to read over on Crunchyroll and also in print from Kodansha Comics.

Continue reading...

Figured I'd dig up this thread for some general discussion of the movie.

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it. I do think they could have gotten away with not restricting it to manga readers by removing mentions of Natsu being E.N.D and not being human but otherwise provided you've watched all the anime and/or have a basic understanding of the core cast then it's fairly safe for any Fairy Tail fan to watch.

Glad I stayed for the post credit scene as well. I hope it implies the anime is coming back once the manga finishes its run.

Glad I stayed for the post credit scene as well. I hope it implies the anime is coming back once the manga finishes its run.[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you've said above, @Demelza. At our screening you could tell the viewers who knew the manga/anime series from their reactions at certain moments.

We enjoyed it too - but were sorry to see the very low turn-out. And only a few of us stayed to the end (knowing there was bound to be something important during/after the credits) - which was not helped by the cinema staff turning the auditorium lights on and collecting the trash (!) I guess they still haven't learned that when the credits run in anime, it doesn't mean that the show's over. :mad:

We enjoyed it too - but were sorry to see the very low turn-out. And only a few of us stayed to the end (knowing there was bound to be something important during/after the credits) - which was not helped by the cinema staff turning the auditorium lights on and collecting the trash (!) I guess they still haven't learned that when the credits run in anime, it doesn't mean that the show's over. :mad:
Heck, you'd think Marvel movies would have taught them. I actually remember my local getting annoyed with Captain America: Civil War, because of the lack of time between post-credits and the next screening.

Yeah I was just about to say, I'm surprised they haven't learnt from Marvel movies! The SAO movie did the post credit scene idea as well, so even your average anime fan should have learnt to set down and keep watching. I don't like leaving during anime credits anyway because I usually want to listen to the music (also the one time I almost did at Leeds film festival I would have missed the extra scenes for Empire of Corpses and they add A LOT to that movie...).

As someone who once worked in a cinema, there's sometimes not a lot of time between showings, so people are forced to clean during the credits. Trust me, people who clean the screens are as unhappy at having to clean around an audience as the audience is of having all the lights come on.

I really ended the film. About half the people at my showing left before the after-credits scene, and during the credits had some people behind me constantly saying dragon cry with a forced accent, and laughing...

I want to grab the film on BD. It has some issues, but it was enjoyable throughout.

As someone who once worked in a cinema, there's sometimes not a lot of time between showings, so people are forced to clean during the credits. Trust me, people who clean the screens are as unhappy at having to clean around an audience as the audience is of having all the lights come on.

Yup, I do sympathize, having worked as usherette/bar staff in my local theatre (I still hate ice cream tubs...) But this was the last (and only showing) so I guess they just wanted to go home.

Back