UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

Manga Entertainment announced some heavy delays today, including Kimnoza Season 1 being pushed all the way back to October (originally scheduled for April, iirc?).

Gatchaman Crowds Insight DVD/Blu-ray Combo Pack
New release date: 15/05/17

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Complete Season 1 Collection
New release date: 26/06/17

Kinmoza! Complete Season 1 Blu-ray/DVD Combo
New release date: 09/10/17

We Are X DVD
New release date: 22/05/17

Boruto The Movie
New release date: 05/06/17

Yo-Kai Watch Season 1 DVD
New release date: 17/07/17

Ghost In The Shell: SAC – Individual Eleven Blu-ray
New release date: 29/05/17
Due to unanticipated complications with source material

Ghost In The Shell: SAC – The Laughing Man Blu-ray
New release date: 29/05/17
Due to unanticipated complications with source material

Is It Wrong To Try To Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon? Complete Season 1 Collection
New release date: 12/06/17

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Complete Season 2 Collection
New release date: 31/07/17
To accommodate the shift of Season 1

Hello! Kinmoza! Complete Season 2 Blu-ray/DVD Combo
New release date: 04/12/17
To accommodate the shift of Season 1

I wish they would release 5cm per Second on Bluray, I have all of Shinkai's other films on Bluray now apart from this :( Off the top of my head I know that Kazé released it on Bluray in Italy, so the original issue of ComixWave not allowing a UK Bluray release can't still be a problem.

I wish they would release 5cm per Second on Bluray, I have all of Shinkai's other films on Bluray now apart from this :( Off the top of my head I know that Kazé released it on Bluray in Italy, so the original issue of ComixWave not allowing a UK Bluray release can't still be a problem.

The reason there is no 5cm Blu-ray in English speaking territories is that they produced a Blu-ray in Japan called the "5cm Per Second Global Edition" which has several languages, including both the English dub and English subs. It is in a normal amaray case, but it has a pink box instead of blue. It can still be found on Amazon for about £60 through 3rd party sellers, or bought direct from Amazon Japan. I get that it's terrible as the only option though, since it's so expensive for what it is. If you're a super fan and just want to have everything on Blu-ray though, it is there as an option.

Here's a link to it:

5 Centimeters per Second: Global Edition 2007 Blu-ray Region Free English/Japanese...: Amazon.co.uk: DVD & Blu-ray

For whatever reason they decided that only English speaking territories couldn't produce their own Blu-ray, probably because English is on the Global Edition. Kaze was able to get rights to their own one probably just because the languages they cater to weren't on the global edition. I don't believe this is going to change for English speaking territories though, so the Japan copy is probably the only way to get a Blu-ray in English.

Last edited:
For whatever reason they decided that only English speaking territories couldn't produce their own Blu-ray, probably because English is on the Global Edition. Kaze was able to get rights to their own one probably just because the languages they cater to weren't on the global edition. I don't believe this is going to change for English speaking territories though, so the Japan copy is probably the only way to get a Blu-ray in English.
FYI, Discotek recently released the film on Blu-ray and it's actually the best release of the film going. Looks as good as the Japanese BD and has three Lossless audio tracks (EN 2.0 & JP 4.0/2.0) versus the two lossy tracks on the JP BD (EN 2.0 and JP 4.0). Given that the disc itself was actually mastered way back in September, it wouldn't surprise me if the disc was actually the one intended to be included in Anime Limited's constantly delayed Shinkai Collection.

FYI, Discotek recently released the film on Blu-ray and it's actually the best release of the film going. Looks as good as the Japanese BD and has three Lossless audio tracks (EN 2.0 & JP 4.0/2.0) versus the two lossy tracks on the JP BD (EN 2.0 and JP 4.0). Given that the disc itself was actually mastered way back in September, it wouldn't surprise me if the disc was actually the one intended to be included in Anime Limited's constantly delayed Shinkai Collection.

Oh damn, it appears I was going off old information there. And now I need to import that. I love Discotek.

Is there a reason why they didn't release Soul Eater NOT! on BD to begin with? I know it wasn't great (awful actually, or the few episodes I saw were anyway) but I would have thought a BD would be viable.

I'll be curious to see what Kaze do with OPM as unlike the rest it's a show I'd like to own.

Amazon have revealed some upcoming release dates.
One Punch Man CE - July 3rd
Soul Eater NOT! Blu-ray - July 3rd
School-Live! - July 24th
Sword Art Online Season 1 - August 14th
Food Wars CE - August 28th
Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal Collection 1 - August 28th
Seems Amazon currently have the dvd version of SAO season 1 mispriced at £9.99

I'm interested in that One Punch Man set. Even though its Kaze it looks nice. I will wait and see what the SAO box set looks like before I buy it.

Back