It's not the end of the world...

ayase

State Alchemist
But you can see it from here.

Fascinating stuff, which no doubt some people will love and some will find horrifying. Which is, of course, why I posted it.

It says "Living with your favourite character"...does that imply I could have one with Revy or Sui-Feng in it? While I'm not convinced either would be as affectionate as generic blue haired animoo girl, it's the only way I can get on board with this horrifying creation....

It says "Living with your favourite character"...does that imply I could have one with Revy or Sui-Feng in it? While I'm not convinced either would be as affectionate as generic blue haired animoo girl, it's the only way I can get on board with this horrifying creation....

I think that bit did imply that they could get licensed characters. Although I'm not sure how good of a greeting Revy could give when you come home ;P

JEtp9Tk.png

Please

I'll take 20
But what if they start fighting for you affections? You might come home to find half of them burnt out or infected with malware. You might have to keep them in separate rooms and make sure they don't find out about each other.

This seems to me like the logical next step of something like Cortana or Siri (the Apple one, not the... other one though I imagine there'd certainly be a market for a digital version of her). While I'm not big on the whole needy partner thing (I wouldn't even want that in a real human) I'm sure that setting could be turned up and down. Having a digital PA who helps organise your life and provides conversation along with it is pretty appealing.

I think my greatest problem with this is that I'd probably get so attached that when it was time to upgrade to say, a full size hologram that wanders around your house and then ultimately an android/gynoid, I wouldn't have the heart to get rid of them and would keep the old ones around. Then I'd have to work more to move to a bigger house to fit all my robots and pay the electric bill. It would end up just like having a real family.

I'm not even sure how I feel about it! The video was sort of sweet but the assistant was as grating as expected.

Since I have yet to actually ever switch on the 'assistant' features on my phone, I can't see myself using it. But I was tempted by a talking vacuum cleaner you could interact with a while ago, so with the right personality...

R

I'm not even sure how I feel about it! The video was sort of sweet but the assistant was as grating as expected.

Since I have yet to actually ever switch on the 'assistant' features on my phone, I can't see myself using it. But I was tempted by a talking vacuum cleaner you could interact with a while ago, so with the right personality...

R
you could buy both and create the perfect partner

Since I have yet to actually ever switch on the 'assistant' features on my phone, I can't see myself using it.
I don't really use them much myself, but I do like the idea. Especially if they can eventually adopt some of the learning/personalisation behaviours that were demonstrated in something like Microsoft Tay (I honestly thought it was a mistake to limit her the way they did, but then my morality is probably on the level of Dr. Farnsworth from Futurama when it comes to experiments like that - Let her become a Nazi and let other people try to convince her otherwise, let's just see what happens. Probably taking that approach wouldn't have been good publicity for Microsoft though).

I think if the assistants were more omnipresent and better integrated into the software (such as announcing your reminders and telling you it was time to wake up in the same voice) I'd get more in the habit and it would soon become second nature to just ask and tell it things. The fact you have to go out of your way to use them rather than having them be the standard interface for the device kind of limits their usefulness at this point.

Back